• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not sure why we/me are discussing this on SF, seems more appropriate for a tailors forum. Want to point out this straightening/crooking thing is something I’ve grappled with for decades. It’s hard to discern the cause and effects it has. For the longest time I didn't think I understood it. Can only say I have a better understanding at present as to what it does and what it doesn’t do, when to apply it and when not to. Five years from now will probably understand it better than I do now.

Toninno

Reaction score
I shift the neck point often. It’s right there in the Mitchell System. I just did it for a new customer. I do it often. But not for the reason this gent explains. He may just be under-explaining for the customer.
Also, “crooking” the shoulder , to me, is something I’ve never understood. Crooking the shoulder is squaring the shoulder so the armhole must be raised with it. I thing customers just like saying it. I have yet to have someone explain it to me.

Toninno

Reaction score
Not sure why we/me are discussing this on SF, seems more appropriate for a tailors forum. Want to point out this straightening/crooking thing is something I’ve grappled with for decades. It’s hard to discern the cause and effects it does. For the longest time I never thought I understood it. Can only say I have a better understanding at present as to what it does and what it doesn’t do, when to apply it and when not to. Five years from now will probably understand it better than I do now.
Chris, nothing to grapple with. It’s baseless.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Also, “crooking” the shoulder , to me, is something I’ve never understood. Crooking the shoulder is squaring the shoulder so the armhole must be raised with it. I thing customers just like saying it. I have yet to have someone explain it to me.
Ask an Italian tailor if he cuts a crooked or straight jacket (That’s a pun) and watch his expression/reaction!

Toninno

Reaction score
Ask an Italian tailor if he cuts a crooked or straight jacket (That’s a pun) and watch his expression/reaction!
He’d tell you you need a straight jacket ???. I’ve heard it for years. Crook the shoulder. But it means nothing.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Chris, nothing to grapple with. It’s baseless.

I'm sure people here would benefit if you reached out to Edwin directly to ask him what he means in his video. From my experience with him, he's a very skilled cutter, although I am obviously not trained in tailoring and can't judge this for myself beyond how my coats look on me.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
He’d tell you you need a straight jacket ???. I’ve heard it for years. Crook the shoulder. But it means nothing.
Causes more problems than a solution for problems

Toninno

Reaction score
I'm sure people here would benefit if you reached out to Edwin directly to ask him what he means in his video. From my experience with him, he's a very skilled cutter, although I am obviously not trained in tailoring and can't judge this for myself beyond how my coats look on me.
I think he’s talking for customers and not tailors. A bit of razzle dazzle. I have a great understanding of all of this stuff. This explanation is baseless. I like his work very much myself.

Last edited:

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It’s a text book explanation that many tailors I know just accept. Most tailors will agree with the explanation on face value. I thought the same way for a long time but I questioned it because it seemed contradictory. The result didn’t match the explanation. The more I looked into it and experimented the more I grasped it. This is one area that making a pattern and doing the sewing gives more insight. When you make the changes and then do the sewing the result is more evident. Pattern making is only theory until the sewing brings the realization. Something tangible to evaluate the effect/result.
In edwins explanation he said himself it’s hard to understand because it seems to cause the opposite reaction.
I’ve done the adjustment like Edwin describes but now I don’t. I am happier with the outcome.

Last edited:

Toninno

Reaction score
It’s a text book explanation that many tailors I know just accept. Most tailors will agree with the explanation on face value. I thought the same way for a long time but I questioned it because it seemed contradictory. The result didn’t match the explanation. The more I looked into it and experimented the more I grasped it. This is one area that making a pattern and doing the sewing gives more insight. When you make the changes and then do the sewing the result is more evident. Pattern making is only theory until the sewing brings the realization. Something tangible to evaluate the effect/result.
In edwins explanation he said himself it’s hard to understand because it seems to cause the opposite reaction.
I’ve done the adjustment like Edwin describes but now I don’t. I am happier with the outcome.
I’m standing by my experience. It doesn’t add up.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m standing by my experience. It doesn’t add up.
Why do you think those A&S jackets missed the mark?

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which ones ? The ones on the hangers ? If they’re not on the customer I can tell nothing.

1590619928675.png

1590619941315.png

Toninno

Reaction score
Ju
Oh. Ok. The open quarters question. These are regular cut quarters. Not open. But the coat is so taken in in the waist and seat it is pulling the fronts open. You can tell by the plaid the fronts are cut regular. But other than being taken in too much they are technically sound. I like them. Don’t make your tailor take them in so much.
As for the arrow- fronts should be straight. The plaid should be square on a properly cut coat. This goes the direction of the arrow because it’s too tapered. If someone is explaining to you that this is a secret type of cutting called “A crooked coat” they are talking out of their ass.
It also looks like the coat shoulder is cut too snug. Too sloped. It’s hitting your shoulder. This will cause the fronts to cut away also.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Staff online

Forum statistics