• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Yup. Almost everything bar my double breasteds are one button. I have recently experimented with 2 3 roll 2s for a sports coat which I do like but would not hesitate to get a sports coat made in a one button. They 1b config is aesthetically pleasing to my eye

I like that both one button and 3-roll-2 have a button at a “midpoint” of the coat. 2 buttons always look a little odd to me.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like that both one button and 3-roll-2 have a button at a “midpoint” of the coat. 2 buttons always look a little odd to me.
Ditto. I always found two button to be aesthetically and proportionally weird

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By now you should be tired of trying new tailors. There is too much hype around social media and styleforum. Choose one and ride them out.
I'm not, just started my bespoke journey :cheers: . Sartoria Corcos is next one my list. Afterwards, in Italy, Panico (hope Antonio stays healthy), Musella Dembech, Japanese Sartoria Raffaneillo, and Dylan & Son from Singapore. 0 loyalty ?

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not, just started my bespoke journey :cheers: . Sartoria Corcos is next one my list. Afterwards, in Italy, Panico (hope Antonio stays healthy), Musella Dembech, Japanese Sartoria Raffaneillo, and Dylan & Son from Singapore. 0 loyalty ?

Try whomever you want, obviously. I think the point is that outcomes tend to get better over time when working with the same provider. The first piece, however good it may be, usually tends to be the worst since you are still learning about each other.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Try whomever you want, obviously. I think the point is that outcomes tend to get better over time when working with the same provider. The first piece, however good it may be, usually tends to be the worst since you are still learning about each other.

I've seen people say this, but I haven't experienced it at all. My first Steed commission is just as good as my others. My first NSM commission wasn't very good, but I figured I would stick with them because of this idea that things get better. A suit, four sport coats, and eight pairs of trousers later, it did not. Was a lot of wasted money in the end.

If your first commission doesn't turn out well, I think you should find a new tailor. But you should also note the difference between fit and style. You can refine the style of your commission over time, but the fit should be perfect.

bdavro23

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've seen people say this, but I haven't experienced it at all. My first Steed commission is just as good as my others. My first NSM commission wasn't very good, but I figured I would stick with them because of this idea that things get better. A suit, four sport coats, and eight pairs of trousers later, it did not. Was a lot of wasted money in the end.

If your first commission doesn't turn out well, I think you should find a new tailor. But you should also note the difference between fit and style. You can refine the style of your commission over time, but the fit should be perfect.

I think we are on the same page here. I dont think its ever acceptable to receive something that doesnt fit well. My point was more about being able to communicate wants and needs to each other within the confines of what the provider can do.

From my MTM perspective, I have additional data points after everything I make someone. I expect to deliver a better garment each time. Some of that depends on the customer being able to give me feedback about things that arent easy for me to see. Perhaps not an apples to apples comparison, and differences in cloth need to be accounted for, but we should be talking about minor changes and evolution.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By now you should be tired of trying new tailors. There is too much hype around social media and styleforum. Choose one and ride them out.
Getting there. I’m close to figuring that out. But that’s the end goal.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why did you commission so many garments? Didn’t you feel like after the second “okay we have a problem here.”

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The novelty wears off as soon as you spend a decent chunk of change and they do something you don't like.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Why did you commission so many garments? Didn’t you feel like after the second “okay we have a problem here.”

Garments were ordered over the course of three orders. If I remember correctly, it was:

1. A suit and a sport coat.
2. Two sport coats and two pairs of trousers .
3. Six pairs of trousers.

I thought the suit was OK and I kept it. I also liked how the two trousers in the second order turned out, so I ordered more. In the end, I had to get the six pairs of pants fixed and I kept the one suit.

I have a couple of friends who still use NSM and like them. Not saying my experience is the end all be all. I'm just skeptical of the rules people put up on how to order bespoke clothes. I still think of this stuff as like going to a restaurant. You go, order something, and see if you like it. You might go back and try again later. You might have a favorite and still eat at different places. Some guys only eat at one restaurant, etc. You might decide a particular restaurant isn't for you.

When I first started reading about this stuff online, I remember guys would write about the process in this almost mystical way. Like you have to have some deep relationship with your tailor. I love the romance around bespoke tailoring, but ... I also think some of this stuff can be overwrought.

Toninno

Reaction score
Garments were ordered over the course of three orders. If I remember correctly, it was:

1. A suit and a sport coat.
2. Two sport coats and two pairs of trousers .
3. Six pairs of trousers.

I thought the suit was OK and I kept it. I also liked how the two trousers in the second order turned out, so I ordered more. In the end, I had to get the six pairs of pants fixed and I kept the one suit.

I have a couple of friends who still use NSM and like them. Not saying my experience is the end all be all. I'm just skeptical of the rules people put up on how to order bespoke clothes. I still think of this stuff as like going to a restaurant. You go, order something, and see if you like it. You might go back and try again later. You might have a favorite and still eat at different places. Some guys only eat at one restaurant, etc. You might decide a particular restaurant isn't for you.

When I first started reading about this stuff online, I remember guys would write about the process in this almost mystical way. Like you have to have some deep relationship with your tailor. I love the romance around bespoke tailoring, but ... I also think some of this stuff can be overwrought.
The small bench tailors you would have developed a very nice personal relationship with no longer exist. In days gone by customers were extremely loyal to one tailor. But times change.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads