• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Lamlana? That fabric can take a beating.
@lordsuerb
Just reread your comment, I misunderstood it.
No, this isn't the lamlana cloth, it's from the Phoenix book but this is a different weave than the majority of the book.

Patrick R

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really? I thought Lamlana was a very soft cloth. Surprised to hear it takes a beating.
This W. Bill is sturdy cloth. Have made 6 or 8 of these for clients.

You’ve made me two. :)

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@Despos

Is that W Bill your favorite for barleycorn cloth?

Any others you recommend? Thanks!
Recommend W. Bill, there are others but not sure what books to suggest with our looking for them. Barleycorns aren't as common as other patterns.

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
W.Bill Lamlana and Harrison's Moonbeam are probably the best winter jacketings out there. More durable and cheaper than cashmere with the same appeal with almost the same hand, better suited than regular tweeds for an urban environment and usable in a broader range of temperatures. W.Phoenix is great too but too lightweight if not living in a mild climate.

Flake

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
W.Bill Lamlana and Harrison's Moonbeam are probably the best winter jacketings out there. More durable and cheaper than cashmere with the same appeal with almost the same hand, better suited than regular tweeds for an urban environment and usable in a broader range of temperatures. W.Phoenix is great too but too lightweight if not living in a mild climate.
I have a Moonbeam jacket (Steed) that I really enjoy. But this thread suddenly has me thinking I need a barleycorn...

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really? I thought Lamlana was a very soft cloth. Surprised to hear it takes a beating.
This W. Bill is sturdy cloth. Have made 6 or 8 of these for clients.

Phoenix is 9-10 ounce and the other two books are 10-11 ounce. Is that a big difference in weight?
Given the amount of abuse the jacket has taken my lamlana shows no signs of wear and tear. My 18 oz. flannel suit on the other hand has been worn less and is already showing wear on the elbows.

I’ve never worn the Phoenix bunch but the sample I received seemed better suited for the summer.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There are two different cloths in the Phoenix book. One has a mill finish and the other a clear finish. The clear finish appears lighter weight but the weight is the same for both. Never thought of this book as summer weight. Mid weight, not summer weight.

WillingToLearn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
W Bill
Phoenix
CODE WB14821
285 - 300gms / 9 - 10ozs 100% Pure New Wool (Worsted)

may be only 9-10 ounces but it wears plenty warm. its a 3 season (F-W-early spring) fabric for me in NYC.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh boy, I asked Edwin to send me some samples for summer and received a few from the Phoenix bunch. I think two of samples had a gauze like appearance. Maybe the British sleep on summers in DC.

DavidLane

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just catching up on this thread. @Crispyj if Frank has a recommendation you can take it to the bank that the cloth is good quality. His personal style choices aside, he knows cloth. Ask him which books he likes and go from there. He does lean towards heavy dense cloth.

Derek @dieworkwear is correct, I do have the older brown Donegal from W.Bill, I also have a more recent green Donegal from W.Bill and they are worlds apart in terms of quality, density ect. The newer W.Bill is much looser weave. Its fine enough, but nothing like the older brown piece I had made up which I prefer.

I also have the same Molloy you posted. It is excellent quality, but definitely heavier than both W.Bill's I have. London Lounge has made up a few very nice barleycorn's with Molloy. I agree with @Despos barleycorn is a great pattern. It may be worth reaching out to Alden to see if there are any left. They will be heavy though.

Also check out the Standeven Heritage Twist book: Not sure if it has been "reformulated" or not.

https://standevenfabrics.co.uk/bunches/heritage-twist/

-DL

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just catching up on this thread. @Crispyj if Frank has a recommendation you can take it to the bank that the cloth is good quality. His personal style choices aside, he knows cloth. Ask him which books he likes and go from there. He does lean towards heavy dense cloth.

Derek @dieworkwear is correct, I do have the older brown Donegal from W.Bill, I also have a more recent green Donegal from W.Bill and they are worlds apart in terms of quality, density ect. The newer W.Bill is much looser weave. Its fine enough, but nothing like the older brown piece I had made up which I prefer.

I also have the same Molloy you posted. It is excellent quality, but definitely heavier than both W.Bill's I have. London Lounge has made up a few very nice barleycorn's with Molloy. I agree with @Despos barleycorn is a great pattern. It may be worth reaching out to Alden to see if there are any left. They will be heavy though.

Also check out the Standeven Heritage Twist book: Not sure if it has been "reformulated" or not.

https://standevenfabrics.co.uk/bunches/heritage-twist/

-DL
Hi David,
Don't you worry, I trust Frank's judgement. He had a bolt of Molloy x London Lounge Herringbone Donegal left which I swooped up. I'll trust Michael Alden's taste and color palette for cloth. Just got my muslin fitting. Had to fight tooth and nail to get him to lower the buttoning stance by an inch, but he agreed happily after taking a second look. He said I'll be clearing sidewalks with these shoulders ?
molloyxalden.jpg
fittingf.jpg fittings.jpg fittingb.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics