• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
General question(s) for the group - What percentage of your sport coats and suits do you get partially lined (either half or quarter lined)? What sort of criteria do you use in making the decision to go partially lined (is it for specific weaves/cloth weights, or based on intended season of wear)?

Depends on the order, but very generally speaking, partially lined for summer stuff, fully lined for winter stuff.

Mr. Six

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Pretty much the same. But I have a couple of jackets that I like to wear in shoulder season that I got partially lined even though they lean more fall-winter. That way they're a little more comfortable if the temps get higher.

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
General question(s) for the group - What percentage of your sport coats and suits do you get partially lined (either half or quarter lined)? What sort of criteria do you use in making the decision to go partially lined (is it for specific weaves/cloth weights, or based on intended season of wear)?

Unlined only cotton and linen (which normally means quarter lined).

I tried to convince my tailor to made my Mock Leno and other Frescos unlined without success.

WillingToLearn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@gabako

Upper sleeve looks tight in that back photo. You are clearly a muscular guy, you'll want some extra room / drape where the chest meets the arm. Your fitness is actually a real challenge for tailors...

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I tried to convince my tailor to made my Mock Leno and other Frescos unlined without success.

when that guy is back and asks for an unlined mock leno or fresco

bry2000

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The first fitting of my first ever bespoke suit. Harrison’s Cru Classe 12oz I think. Obviously a bit tight across the back there. Is there anything to look out for at this stage or does it seem okay?

View attachment 1326463 View attachment 1326464
The first fitting is for the tailor to do his thing. You as a customer can infer very little as to how the final product will turn out from the first fitting.

As long as you worked through the details with him ahead of time (ie, SB vs DB, pockets, etc.), just relax and let the tailor do his job. The last thing you should do is ask a bunch of Internet randos how the first fitting looks.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unlined only cotton and linen (which normally means quarter lined).

Bespoke clothing is such an interesting world. I get not wanting to be an insufferable ass, but I can’t imagine accepting something that is not what I wanted.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bespoke clothing is such an interesting world. I get not wanting to be an insufferable ass, but I can’t imagine accepting something that is not what I wanted.
This is a really fraught and complicated gray area in any "custom made" industry. From both sides. As a customer, paying a lot of money for something that's not exactly what you had in mind is not good. As a tailor, neither is investing a huge amount of labor and resources into making a product that isn't exactly what somebody had hoped for.

What if a suit technically fits you well and your specific requests have been met, but the overall style isn't what you were after? Do you request a remake? Do you accept this as a lesson in a larger overall bespoke process? What if you'd saved up your money for a long time for this one very special piece of clothing?

What if you're a tailor who made a suit and someone brings an issue like this to you? The suit fits, but it just isn't what they thought it would be-- the shoulders a little firmer and wider than they'd hoped, the style more old-man than had been discussed. As the tailor, you did your work and everything looks right to you, but there was some kind of greater failure of communication in terms of style. Your margins are small, and you'll lose a considerable amount of money doing complicated alterations or a remake. Do you deny the request and leave a customer unhappy, or do you suffer the financial hit and fix the problem?

Think of how often this kind of situation must occur in any "custom-made" industry. People who do this kind of work are insane.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of these things, what's up with tailors who can't/won't make something half-lined? Elevate your craft!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I can't imagine caring enough about the lining to send something back to the tailor. Steed once delivered a summer sport coat to me that was fully lined when I asked for it to be partially lined. Edwin said that he thinks the lining makes a very small difference nowadays in terms of warmth, and asked me to wear it for a while. He said if I didn't like it, he would fix it. But after having worn it for years, I don't know if I can tell the difference.

I think you just have to be a reasonable person. Sometimes mistakes are big and you should ask for a remake. Sometimes I see guys get custom clothes and they expect an unreasonable amount of perfection out of what's essentially a handmade object. In some ways, getting something that's slightly imperfect is part of the point. It humanizes the object and makes it distinct from perfectly stamped out machine-made goods. Granted, sometimes an item is so bad, you have to ask for a remake (or in rare cases a refund). But I think expecting perfection is kind of unrealistic, if not missing the point.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I ask (and pay) for X, I expect X, unless explicitly told otherwise on the front end. I’d feel this way about something I’m paying $5 for, much less thousands. I can’t fathom any other field in which something like this would be tolerated.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If I ask (and pay) for X, I expect X, unless explicitly told otherwise on the front end. I’d feel this way about something I’m paying $5 for, much less thousands. I can’t fathom any other field in which something like this would be tolerated.

I had a burrito today and they forgot the guac.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads