• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reaction score
No Man Walks Alone's new made-to-measure is really nice, and given your location/price range, maybe an ideal alternative to bespoke.

Thanks, will be sure to check them out. I am compiling a list of candidates, and will study them in great details.

Reaction score
In NYC at a ~3K price point I would look at the following:

Kent Wang (approx $1000-1500) - MTM, small shop, select fabrics, I'm not sure how much structure they can build into their jackets (they do have multiple canvas and shoulder options though). I would put them in a medium structure range based on my previous purchases...

MyTailor/Hemrajani Bros ($15000-2500) - can do a structured shoulder, their 'handmade bespoke' is made in HK but you can opt to include a basted fitting for an additional price (I did this and would recommend it). They are short of the classic SR 3-fittings, but they do offer a good value proposition and a wide range of premium cloths

The Armoury MTM offerings ($2000-3000) the Ring Jacket Model 1 and the Model 101 both have semi-structured shoulders (not as structured as Huntsman but more so than a Neapolitan jacket). They also offer a wide range of premium cloths. more info and pics here: https://thearmoury.com/journal/a-closer-look-at-the-hundred-series-made-to-measure

Alan Flusser (not sure of the price range) - not necessarily structured, but saw a Kirby Allison series on their custom made, looks like a classic american business suit. includes multiple fittings and would venture a guess its in your price point

Thanks for the list!! Perhaps this is THE info I was looking for!

I am checking them out right now, will do some serious digging and will set up initial consultations. I took a picture of this list on my phone!

Reaction score
:rotflmao: don't worry about me buddy, i wasn't taking anything you said personally (or seriously). i do feel bad for your wife though.

Sorry, I feel like my IQ dropped 10 points engaging in this 7-th grade level conversation with you.

Best of luck to you in life, you will need it.

Reaction score
I follow Sartoria Tofani on IG and see some things I like, they might be worth looking into.

Most of these traveling Italian tailors are from southern Italy and their style is distinctively different from English structured tailoring. I'm not sure you would be happy with the end result if you ask them to go outside of their comfort zone.

The only other suggestions I have for NYC are Logsdail and Reeves. I have no experience with Logsdail although I'm pretty sure his price is similar to the traveling SR firms.

I am a customer of Reeves and he would give you exactly what you want with the added benefit of him being local. Only issue is price, it's going to be above the previously stated level. I've been very happy with everything from David

Thank you, sir. Have a good one!

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose it all hinges on what one considers "serious," and what constitutes "making alpha," but the implication that the stock market should be left to sole purview (apologies if I'm reaching unintended conclusions) of the brokers/"experts" is a rather difficult one to countenance.

All in all, a very odd take, unless I'm severely misinterpreting.

@ericgereghty

Eric, what I am trying to say is that folks like Larry Fink of BlackRock (my old boss) didn't become a billionaire playing the stock market. He did so by founding a firm which peddles securities (including stocks/equities) to institutions and the general public including Mr. Know-it-all on here ...

In the end as you say, it all depends of what one defines as "getting rich".

For some, getting rich is $10,000. For others it's a billion dollars. Sure you can compound slowly over 40 years in the stock market and retire to a golfing community in Florida. But that isn't going to make you "rich or wealthy" . To become rich or wealthy, you actually have to create value, a product or service that solves a problem, or takes advantage of a loophole/anomaly in the market place.

Making serious money in the stock market is all about information asymmetry. In other words, acting on information before anyone else does. For most retail “investors”, this is impossible (unless your insider trading). Why? Because at every point, all the information available is already priced into the asset (stock). This is what I mean by “you can’t make alpha playing stocks”.

Besides I doubt the OP has come through a true bear market (playing stocks). If he has, he'd be more humble (IMHO). Hence my initial question, "how long have you been at this?"

Alan Bee

Last edited:

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@ericgereghty

Eric, what I am trying to say is that folks like Larry Fink of BlackRock (my old boss) didn't become a billionaire playing the stock market. He did so by founding a firm which peddles securities (including stocks/equities) to institutions and the general public including Mr. Know-it-all on here ...

For some, getting rich is $10,000. For others it's a billion dollars. Sure you can compound slowly over 40 years in the stock market and retire to a golfing community in Florida. But that isn't going to make you "rich or wealthy" . To become rich or wealthy, you actually have to create value, a product or service that solves a problem, or takes advantage of a loophole/anomaly in the market place.

Making serious money in the stock market is all about information asymmetry. In other words, acting on information before anyone else does. For most retail “investors”, this is impossible (unless your insider trading). Why? Because at every point, all the information available is already priced into the asset (stock). This is what I mean by “you can’t make alpha playing stocks”.

Besides I doubt the OP has come through a true bear market (playing stocks). If he has, he'd be more humble (IMHO). Hence my initial question, "how long have you been at this?"

Alan Bee

Everything is relative. I do have a close friend who started out with next to nothing and made a couple of million dollars in a few years by day trading (mainly in Russian oil and gas). That might not be considered wealthy by your standards, but I’d say it’s pretty good for someone with no prior knowledge about the market and who just put in the hours.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ericgereghty

Alan Bee
May just be me, but "do something else because it won't make you a billionaire" seems a comical bit of caution. If it (along with other non-market avenues, to be sure) can earn you enough passive income to qualify as "rich" by almost any objective metric (not to mention the vast majority of the civilized world's population), why would one choose to forego it because it is almost certainly not going to land you amongst the most alpha 0.0000001% in the world?
In any event, I suppose we're just going to have to agree to disagree on the value of investing.

Reaction score
May just be me, but "do something else because it won't make you a billionaire" seems a comical bit of caution. If it (along with other non-market avenues, to be sure) can earn you enough passive income to qualify as "rich" by almost any objective metric (not to mention the vast majority of the civilized world's population), why would one choose to forego it because it is almost certainly not going to land you amongst the most alpha 0.0000001% in the world?
In any event, I suppose we're just going to have to agree to disagree on the value of investing.

I wouldn't waste your time replying to this guy, haha. Yeah, so just because you won't become rich as Bezos or Gates or whomever, don't bother investing. Don't bother going to college, and don't bother working hard in your career. Just go start a business on your own praying you will become the next Mark Cuban or Elon Musk. Just comical.

All I know is I am very grateful that I don't have to deal with this type of annoying, shallow, egocentric personalities in my line of work. People I work with tend to be very polite and humble. Or maybe I got lucky.

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't waste your time replying to this guy, haha. Yeah, so just because you won't become rich as Bezos or Gates or whomever, don't bother investing. Don't bother going to college, and don't bother working hard in your career. Just go start a business on your own praying you will become the next Mark Cuban or Elon Musk. Just comical.

All I know is I am very grateful that I don't have to deal with this type of annoying, shallow, egocentric personalities in my line of work. People I work with tend to be very polite and humble. Or maybe I got lucky.

Mr. Posh Gentleman,

I’m not the one who sauntered into a clothing forum boasting about how I could afford a Huntsman suit but choose not to. and about how I make “very good income” and how I have a CFA and work for a top financial firm, and rattling off what stocks I own, and how a buddy of mine makes $500,000 and pisses it off on stuff etc etc.

A little humility would do you some good sir. You have no idea who and what the rest of us on this forum are. It is presumptuous of you to walk in here and assume because you have a CFA, the rest of us are novices.

Some folks on here can write a Magna Opus on markets and how they function but that’s not why we are here

Now please gentlemen, let’s get back to clothes.

Alan Bee

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Granted, I don't know too much about the finance world, but starting your own investment firm selling securities seems like it would have huge financial and legal barriers to entry. I mean if he was able to create a 7T AUM firm, that would be a no brainer

I find the whole advice odd,he never mentioned wanting to be a billionaire just that he could do more productive things with $7K than buy a suit (a pretty objective truth). Also, people specifically asked for "mr know it all's" advice/strategy...The advice seemed to be akin to "why play basketball if you're not gonna make the NBA"?

Lastly, there is also this recent article, which seems to place buying stocks in a very different light from Larry Fink himself

Last edited:

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@ericgereghty

Eric, pls let’s get back to clothes. I’m happy to engage you offline on the subject of markets. A subject I actually happen to know more than a thing or two about ....

Alan Bee

Alan Bee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Granted, I don't know too much about the finance world, but starting your own investment firm selling securities seems like it would have huge financial and legal barriers to entry. I mean if he was in the market to create a 7T AUM firm, that would be a no brainer

I find the whole advice odd,he never mentioned wanting to be a billionaire just that he could do more productive things with $7K than buy a suit (a pretty objective truth). Also, people specifically asked for "mr know it all's" advice/strategy...The advice seemed to be akin to "why play basketball if you're not gonna make the NBA"?

Lastly, there is also this recent article, which seems to place buying stocks in a very different light from Larry Fink himself

Fair enough sir. Let’s get back to tailoring and clothes please.

Alan Bee

Reaction score
Mr. Posh Gentleman,

I’m not the one who sauntered into a clothing forum boasting about how I could afford a Huntsman suit but choose not to. and about how I make “very good income” and how I have a CFA and work for a top financial firm, and rattling off what stocks I own, and how a buddy of mine makes $500,000 and pisses it off on stuff etc etc.

A little humility would do you some good sir. You have no idea who and what the rest of us on this forum are. It is presumptuous of you to walk in here and assume because you have a CFA, the rest of us are novices.

Some folks on here can write a Magna Opus on markets and how they function but that’s not why we are here

Now please gentlemen, let’s get back to clothes.

Alan Bee

When did I brag about working for a "top" financial firm? I said I work at a "finance company" and I know a thing or two about investing. You asked me first, how long I've been doing this, and to your reply I said I have a CFA.

Why is it bragging from my end, when I said it is outside my budget to buy a Huntsman suit? I make comfortable living and could buy it if I really wanted, but I don't make F-U kind of money so although I think they make fabulous clothes, it is simply out of equation for me. Why is this bragging?

I also said my boss makes a lot of money, but have no savings due to poor spending habits. From this, I learned to be more careful with higher end purchases. Why is this bragging again?

You seem to have reading comprehension issues. Or maybe you're a bit old and have trouble reading? Are you like 80 years old? If so I understand.

My last response to you, I already feel bad about the 1 minute I wasted on this reply. Have a nice day.

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
to pivot back onto a topic tangential to bespoke clothes...how do you guys evaluate a dry cleaner to see if they are of a high enough caliber to be trusted with expensive clothes.

I recently got my Hemrajani suit and need to get it pressed before my fitting, but after having a place with good reviews screw up the lapels (made them uneven, looks like the pressed it while buttoned or something...) on my tux I'm a bit more wary...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads