• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm thanks for the response. I will check out Sexton. Are they within my price range?

I make pretty good income so if I really wanted to, I could easily afford a Huntsman suit.. but I just don't think it's worth the price. I admit this is a very subjective topic, but I don't believe in committing ~10k in a depreciating asset.

Maybe you should focus on your family and put those funds to a nice vacation. Huntsman and other saville row tailors will always be there when you are ready to spend the cash.

fassbinder

Reaction score
hey don't take things personal. grow some thick skin. be open to diff perspectives and viewpoints. grow up.

If I don't come off as posh to you, then too bad. I only care about being posh in front of my social circle and especially my wife!

:rotflmao: don't worry about me buddy, i wasn't taking anything you said personally (or seriously). i do feel bad for your wife though.

NYDRH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you. I will check these guys out. Much appreciated!

Any other Italian tailors that I could study up on?
I follow Sartoria Tofani on IG and see some things I like, they might be worth looking into.

Most of these traveling Italian tailors are from southern Italy and their style is distinctively different from English structured tailoring. I'm not sure you would be happy with the end result if you ask them to go outside of their comfort zone.

The only other suggestions I have for NYC are Logsdail and Reeves. I have no experience with Logsdail although I'm pretty sure his price is similar to the traveling SR firms.

I am a customer of Reeves and he would give you exactly what you want with the added benefit of him being local. Only issue is price, it's going to be above the previously stated level. I've been very happy with everything from David

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are some MTM places I could consider? I know Suit supply is one, and some other random names that many of my co workers used. I noticed many times that fit was off with many of these middling MTM suits. hmmm...

In NYC at a ~3K price point I would look at the following:

Kent Wang (approx $1000-1500) - MTM, small shop, select fabrics, I'm not sure how much structure they can build into their jackets (they do have multiple canvas and shoulder options though). I would put them in a medium structure range based on my previous purchases...

MyTailor/Hemrajani Bros ($15000-2500) - can do a structured shoulder, their 'handmade bespoke' is made in HK but you can opt to include a basted fitting for an additional price (I did this and would recommend it). They are short of the classic SR 3-fittings, but they do offer a good value proposition and a wide range of premium cloths

The Armoury MTM offerings ($2000-3000) the Ring Jacket Model 1 and the Model 101 both have semi-structured shoulders (not as structured as Huntsman but more so than a Neapolitan jacket). They also offer a wide range of premium cloths. more info and pics here: https://thearmoury.com/journal/a-closer-look-at-the-hundred-series-made-to-measure

Alan Flusser (not sure of the price range) - not necessarily structured, but saw a Kirby Allison series on their custom made, looks like a classic american business suit. includes multiple fittings and would venture a guess its in your price point

Last edited:

Dannefalk

Reaction score
Had a fitting with Sartoria Cresent when I was in Italy a few weeks back. DB in vintage mohair/wool.
sc2.jpg

sc1.jpg

sc4.jpg

Only have these iPhone pics to show for it. Sorry for that!

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok Sir, shall we take this outside to Motleyfool.com Forum where you can lecture me on how to "chase stocks derived from other peoples ideas without really having any ideas of your own"?

This is a clothing forum not a day traders nest or stock picking website.

Alan Bee
Well in Posh's defense, someone did ask for stock tips. Just saying.

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I love suits and I have a bunch of RTW high end suits, most of them Ralph Lauren black / purple label suits that I got on hefty discounts. (60-70% off retail, all new) I am a huge fan of RLPL due to it being the best fit for my body shape, off the rack.

It's been a while since my last suit purchase.. maybe 3 years? This year, I was looking to do some bespoke work, to up my suiting game. I like structured shoulders. I checked out some tailoring houses with the cut I am interested in.. the Huntsman's and other SR tailors that travel to NYC. Holy cow.. I was quoted $8-9 grand for a 2 piece suit. The hell?? You can buy a freaking Rolex Submariner for that money, and with the Rolex, my "investment" won't depreciate much if at all, unlike these ridiculously priced clothes.

Are there more reasonably priced bespoke tailors that I should look into? I am based in NYC and would love some suggestions! $3k is my max budget.
No Man Walks Alone's new made-to-measure is really nice, and given your location/price range, maybe an ideal alternative to bespoke.

Fonz4

Reaction score
Anyone had shirts made in Naples recently?
Hoping to try one or more shirtmakers preferably around the 200-250 euro mark.

Will any of the usual suspects fall in my budget? Piccolo, Lombardi, Fluido, Formosa etc. I don't need Riva fabric, but would like handmade buttonholes and shirred shoulders, as that is different from my current shirtmaker.

I've searched through the relevant threads, but most posts are a few years old. Tried emailing a few of them, but no responses as of yet.
Try Luca Avitabile

Viatu

Reaction score
So I love suits and I have a bunch of RTW high end suits, most of them Ralph Lauren black / purple label suits that I got on hefty discounts. (60-70% off retail, all new) I am a huge fan of RLPL due to it being the best fit for my body shape, off the rack.

It's been a while since my last suit purchase.. maybe 3 years? This year, I was looking to do some bespoke work, to up my suiting game. I like structured shoulders. I checked out some tailoring houses with the cut I am interested in.. the Huntsman's and other SR tailors that travel to NYC. Holy cow.. I was quoted $8-9 grand for a 2 piece suit. The hell?? You can buy a freaking Rolex Submariner for that money, and with the Rolex, my "investment" won't depreciate much if at all, unlike these ridiculously priced clothes.

Are there more reasonably priced bespoke tailors that I should look into? I am based in NYC and would love some suggestions! $3k is my max budget.

Speaking of Sartoria Cresent they will be in NYC on Feb. 15th & 16th. You may want to look into that.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone had shirts made in Naples recently?
Hoping to try one or more shirtmakers preferably around the 200-250 euro mark.

Will any of the usual suspects fall in my budget? Piccolo, Lombardi, Fluido, Formosa etc. I don't need Riva fabric, but would like handmade buttonholes and shirred shoulders, as that is different from my current shirtmaker.

I've searched through the relevant threads, but most posts are a few years old. Tried emailing a few of them, but no responses as of yet.
I just got my short from vanacore through gentlemens footwear back. $245 but excellent and they even sent me a trial/ fitting shirt. Will def. order more.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"I like structured shoulders."

Neither Steed nor the Neapolitans are good suggestions.
Their house styles are the antithesis, more or less, of Huntsman
and its' ilk.
Only Tom ford on sale remains then or cad and the dandy if custom suits is really what he wants. But huntsman bespoke 100 goes for under $4k closer to like $3.7k, it's true bespoke just limited amount of fabrics.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Posh Gentleman

Mr. Expert Investment Advisor,

How about Invest in yourself? Create something valuable. Create a product with your own talent and life. Let other people worry about investing and speculating on your ideas and products. Thats the best advice Warren Buffet gives but which never gets talked about.

You will never make alpha chasing other people’s ideas in the stock market with your savings.

The only people who make serious money on the stock market are the brokers peddling the stuff. Most others are simply mugs. I know ...

How long have you been at this again??

Alan Bee
I suppose it all hinges on what one considers "serious," and what constitutes "making alpha," but the implication that the stock market should be left to sole purview (apologies if I'm reaching unintended conclusions) of the brokers/"experts" is a rather difficult one to countenance.

All in all, a very odd take, unless I'm severely misinterpreting.

Reaction score
Maybe you should focus on your family and put those funds to a nice vacation. Huntsman and other saville row tailors will always be there when you are ready to spend the cash.

Yes, advice taken. Thanks.

But I love suits and will find a way to make it work, I will do nice things for the family and still get a nice bespoke suit within my budget, this year. Lol.

Reaction score
I suppose it all hinges on what one considers "serious," and what constitutes "making alpha," but the implication that the stock market should be left to sole purview (apologies if I'm reaching unintended conclusions) of the brokers/"experts" is a rather difficult one to countenance.

All in all, a very odd take, unless I'm severely misinterpreting.

Haha, well each person is free to own opinions. What I will say here is you can believe in whatever you'd like, while many others are getting rich making good investing / personal finance decisions..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads