1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ongoing Bespoke Projects

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sander, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

WTF?

2. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

What do you mean what the fuck? It's his most signature feature that he talks about all the time and is constantly joking about in person. They have contests at Armoury HQ to see who has the most Quasidomo slouch.

Again, vigilanteism not needed. Thanks! :D

3. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

No vigilanteism. I just don't see what you apparently see in that photo. What hunch? What slouch? Good for you that you are so in with the Armory crowd to be in on the joke. Woo.

1 person likes this.
  4. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

I hate the Armoury crowd. Can't you see his neck jutting out like a velociraptor though?
    All time worst posture 2017. He looks like a Tetris piece in person.

5. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

No, no he doesn't. Relax. Let it go. Why do you care?

3 people like this.
  6. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

As a longtime computer user I'm just concerned about his posture.
    I'm going to... go out on a limb here... and say... that despite demurring... you are engaging in... vigilanteism.
    Let's agree to disagree.

As for ongoing bespoke projects, I want to mention two in process, besides the obligatory suit stuff which is boring.

1, bespoke tap dancing shoes. I had largely been too lazy to focus on this issue or just resorted to retrofitting old bespoke shoes with taps or vice versa but my shoe maker suggested some ergonomic improvements to achieve better aerodynamism, lightness, but also cushioning on impact. Tap dancing shoes were by no means his area of expertise but he consulted with someone and the result is so far drastically better and I feel much mor nimble on my feet and less fatigue. I know that some people like to parcel everything out, like troursers one place, cowboy boots anotehr place, etc., leaving each specialty to one person, but I am all for vertical integration -- if I can have all shirts pajamas jackets etc made by one tailor and all shoe related gewgaws made by one shoe person I am much happier as it reduces tedium.

2, bespoke high top leather sneakers, the result so far is exceptional from a stylistic perspective, anatomically the custom route does not offer any real advantage, but the details and distressing you can achieve obviously add a lot of appeal, the outcome so far is remisnicent of Golden Goose but sans the conspicuous branding and stupid star motifs. Thus far very enjoyable

1 person likes this.
  7. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

If calling you out on your bullshit is vigilanteism, okay. I guess alternative facts are a thing now.

4 people like this.
  8. R.O. Thornhill

R.O. Thornhill Senior member

Thanks! It was the first overcoat Steed made for me and whilst it has seen a lot of abuse it has held up well. I love what Edwin does with double-breasted lapels on suits and on overcoats

As for Sexton vs C&M - I have never seen a Sexton suit in person so cannot make any comparison. But I cannot speak highly enough of the C&M team

R-O-T

1 person likes this.
  9. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

Now is that a polo coat, or an Ulster? I'm going to have one made up and I want the style in this picture.

10. Leaves

Leaves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Polo Coat I would say. But I also feel a polo coat should be in camel, or am I just being silly?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
  11. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Camel polo coat is passé. This mouse color neatly solves the issue.

12. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

The collar is what throws me off. Sometimes I see a standard peak lapel collar on the polo coat, sometimes i see that collar, the name of which I don't know. I prefer that collar.

13. Leaves

I heard Trump say (I promise, it was a screenshot of his Twitter account, posted on Facebook, it must be true) he was disappointed that the term virtual reality was taken and he had to settle for alternative facts. He was so disappointed he is considering a new tax on Oculus and HTC.

Ok. I prefer camel fleece to mouse wool.

I dunno man, I think I prefer the more peaked collar. But it's an awesome coat, no doubt. A few additional pictures:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  14. Leaves

Latest overcoat from Sartoria Corcos, not Ongoing, completed.

[​IMG]

11 people like this.
  15. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Still hemming and hawing about my next commission, but I have given more thought to commissioning a Tuxedo.

Bear with me. Here are the pertinent facts: (1) I am getting married this coming December; (2) my bride-to-be would like for me to wear a Tuxedo; (3) my Tuxedo that I normally wear is beat up and not up to snuff; (4) the rest of my Tuxedo rig is solid, i.e., shoes, shirt, studs, socks, bow; and (4) I wear black tie anywhere from five to ten times a year, for weddings and various galas.

In all honesty, but for the wedding, commissioning a Tuxedo would not be on my radar. However, in lieu of the foregoing facts, there are certainly some benefits.

First and foremost, because my current Tuxedo is not up to snuff, and because I am not renting from Men's Warehouse under any circumstance, I will have to purchase a new Tuxedo prior to the wedding. I estimate that the cost of RTW will be roughly half of what I would otherwise spend on bespoke. Maybe a bit less.

Second, the RTW option will likely be expensive, and will not have the details that I want. I have surveyed the RTW options, and there are negatives associated with each. Lapels too big, lapels to small, and, more importantly, none will have a proper vest. I will certainly be compromising, at least to an extent.

Third, I will wear it at least five to ten times a year. There are certain festivities where I will probably opt for my beater tuxedo, but I will nonetheless get wear out of it.

Fourth, it is my wedding, and this is as good of a splurge as any.

Fifth, a bespoke Tuxedo is unequivocally awesome.

What say you all?

4 people like this.
  16. Leaves

For your wedding, of course do it. Your kids and grand-kids will look at those photos and say, look at grandpa how handsome he was. That's just one of many great reasons. Your bride will probably spend an insane amount on something she will only wear once (well, if you're a good husband that is) so why shouldn't you get a nice tux that you will wear a lot?

8 people like this.
  17. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

I would like to be associated with the words of the last speaker :)

2 people like this.
  18. R.O. Thornhill

R.O. Thornhill Senior member

Go for it. A classic bespoke dinner jacket will give you pleasure for years.

And you will get to enjoy a lot of comments along the lines of "why doesn't my dinner jacket look as good as yours? I bought it at Armani/Brioni/etc?"

1 person likes this.
  19. S K M

S K M Senior member

Thanks, I haven't thought about that! Definitely provided me new a new argument to explain my fiancee why I need to go to Italy to have a blue, DB bespoken for our wedding :D

20. aristoi bcn

aristoi bcn Senior member

I say that a tuxedo is not a proper outfit for a wedding, at least in Europe. The tuxedo is a party outfit and the wedding is a celebration and the party comes afterwards, usually in the evening. A morning coat would be more appropriate.

Nonetheless, if you need a tux five times a year is more than justified to order a new one if the old one is already beaten up.