• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hippotamus

Reaction score
As I've spent the last forty years attempting to purge adjectives from my writing, I'm not sure I can comply. The shoulders don't feel like anything. They are just there. The jacket is just there. You will have to experience it for yourself.

• No binding or restriction of movement
  • Collar remains anchored to my neck
  • Over time, the jacket has relaxed to my shape. Putting it on it just fits

Cannot agree more with the importance of the collar sitting (anchoring is a better word) to the neck

Stugotes

Reaction score

Prolly a better picture to show the sleeve length. I do feel this jacket the sleeves are relatively on the longer side, especially compared to my Neapolitan jackets. But I still feel comfortable with that.

Gotta quote the pic one more time, jacket's that awesome
drool.gif

jolinlovesjunya

Reaction score
Throw back to May - fittings with Sartoria Dalcuore in New York. Orders placed through Brio Beijing in February.

1. Light grey nailhead summer two piece in Minnis Rangoon, basted fitting. Asked for a fuller chest. Leg opennings to be widen.

2. Beige linen trousers, alternative pents for my cholocate brown linen suit (same fabric, different color), to be widen out a bit as well.

3. Pepper salt chacoal stripe two piece in Edwin Woodhouse 3ply, forward fitting. Waist can use some tweaks. And I wish I could find more of this fabric for an extra vest!

The collar will be lift up a bit, causing the shoulder to be less extended and more natural. Closer to the below pic, with Luigi Dalcuore lifting my collar.

Motion blur..

Last edited:

hippotamus

Reaction score
@jolinlovesjunya , nice stuff again !

Great you got a hand of those vintage (or re-run?) fabric, both Rangoon and Woodhouse are good cloth, they especially fit your style for the jacket / suit. Nice 3 bottonish / 3 r 2.5, that lapel roll is wonderful too.

jolinlovesjunya

Reaction score

@jolinlovesjunya
 , nice stuff again !

Great you got a hand of those vintage (or re-run?) fabric, both Rangoon and Woodhouse are good cloth, they especially fit your style for the jacket / suit. Nice 3 bottonish / 3 r 2.5, that lapel roll is wonderful too. 

Thank you @hippotamus! The Woodhouse 3ply is vintage indeed, it's a chalk strip on salt and pepper chacoal background. Fall winter hopsack like. The Rangoon number is a re-run by forum member @Kolecho. I like Rangoon very much - a bouncy summer fresco with beautiful hand.

After the second fitting, Dalcuore redid the collar and lifted the back. Here's a pic of the hand padded collar as of today. Soon to be finished.

Last edited:

jolinlovesjunya

Reaction score

Going all-out, I see. Very good.
The DB is smokin'.
Do you distinguish uses/contexts for your Italian versus English stuff?

TBH at first I didn't plan the commissions ahead. But after receiving a few items and wearing them for a while. I probably should start to think about this.

I will use Neapolitan tailors mainly for spring/summer items, especially causal stuff. Neapolitan tailoring brings the right vibe to the garments for that purpose. For fall/winter stuff, either Italian or British tailors will do, depending on the item and mood. However, I'd like to reserve formal stuff to British tailors.

Fabrics matter. For example, cashmeres for Neapolitan tailors, since I like them to be sweater-like. Finishing matters too. I'd like to hand more expensive fabrics (eg: vicuna) to a dedicated finisher. But it could just be me caring too much.

In addition, I've found English soft tailoring (like Steed) and Italian tailors with British influence (like Florentine and Milanese tailors) bring out the best of two worlds. I'm sure this has been discussed here repeatedly. You will find a lot of techniques in tailoring are common under many circumstances. A well tailored suit is appealing anyways, British or Italian.

Last edited:

sprout2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In addition, I've found English soft tailoring (like Steed) and Italian tailors with British influence (like Florentine and Milanese tailors) bring out the best of two worlds. I'm sure this has been discussed here repeatedly. You will find a lot of techniques in tailoring are common under many circumstances. A well tailored suit is appealing anyways, British or Italian.

Yes, I personally like this intersection, too.

sprout2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A more consistent wardrobe.
smile.gif

My OCD would get the better of me if I had to juggle multiple regional styles like you. Though I fully grok the formalwear from Britain -- that is another issue altogether. Maybe it's best to think less of contexts/seasons and more of specific function of the piece of clothing, e.g., tuxedo, safari jacket, lounge suit. There is a good case to make for compartmentalizing these.

jolinlovesjunya

Reaction score

My OCD would get the better of me if I had to juggle multiple regional styles like you. Though I fully grok the formalwear from Britain -- that is another issue altogether. Maybe it's best to think less of contexts/seasons and more of specific function of the piece of clothing, e.g., tuxedo, safari jacket, lounge suit. There is a good case to make for compartmentalizing these.

Yep!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads