• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... I'm curious as to why your tailor would be so against a looser waist in the trews. My understanding is that, depending on how the trews are cut, a looser waist can actually improve the line of the trouser silhouette, allowing enough room throughout the waist and seat area so the crotch isn't so restricted (said restriction being a cause of the messy crotch/pleat look I assume). That is, if you're planning on wearing them with braces, but since you plan on wearing the trews with a belt, he may be on to something. Either way, rooting you on.
He mentioned that he wants a relatively precise waist so the front lays clean across the waistband and crotch. He's mentioned this for all my pants with side tabs and belts.

I borderline like the waist a half to a full size loose for comfort reasons. I bloat quite a bit by the end of the day.

You're right that a looser waist would work well with braces, but I will be going with a belt.

If you cinch a loose waist snugly with a belt or side tabs, the crotch bags out and pleats are created. I've noticed this on all my casual pants.

JayDee90

Reaction score
He mentioned that he wants a relatively precise waist so the front lays clean across the waistband and crotch. He's mentioned this for all my pants with side tabs and belts.

I borderline like the waist a half to a full size loose for comfort reasons. I bloat quite a bit by the end of the day.

You're right that a looser waist would work well with braces, but I will be going with a belt.

If you cinch a loose waist snugly with a belt or side tabs, the crotch bags out and pleats are created. I've noticed this on all my casual pants.
I am confused. Does he make pants for you without side tabs and belt (loops)? Also, it seems from your previous comments that you prefer "pleats" and a messy trouser front?

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am confused. Does he make pants for you without side tabs and belt (loops)? Also, it seems from your previous comments that you prefer "pleats" and a messy trouser front?
Nope, he doesn't. I specified side tabs and belts because Wil was mentioning trousers with braces.

It's a compromise for comfort. I don't like how a messy trouser front looks on dress trousers, but I do enjoy a good bit of adjustability in the waist.

Braces would solve all of this, but I don't like how they look when you take your jacket off.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
side tabs and belt loops?

iono bout that. Hey it’s your money.
Oof, I've managed to make things even less clear.

I'm lumping in dress trousers with belt loops and trousers with side tabs into the same category, I'm not getting both at the same time.

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oof, I've managed to make things even less clear.

I'm lumping in dress trousers with belt loops and trousers with side tabs into the same category, I'm not getting both at the same time.
I‘m paranoid about dropping tro. Belts and suspenders are insufficient. I also add side tabs.

Sreezy36

Reaction score
Do you guys get your Dinner suit with trousers made up with side tabs?
Or with brace buttons only?

Rosarito

Reaction score
Do you guys get your Dinner suit with trousers made up with side tabs?
Or with brace buttons only?
I've done button side tabs—not the metal ones—on both of mine. Brace buttons as well. Too many buttons in there? Maybe.

Markus W

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Waist looks to tight. Even for a skinny guy. The chest is cut wider (good for movement and comfort) but style-wise mismatches the tight waist. If you want to go skinny, go skinny all the way to keep the look coherent. Even if that´s not the style I would recommend and my guess is that you did not ask for a skinny look. Am I right?

Arm length a bit short (but still corresponds with the short arm length of the shirt). White trousers to long, the grey trousers are much better regarding the length.

utsav53

Reaction score
Waist looks to tight. Even for a skinny guy. The chest is cut wider (good for movement and comfort) but style-wise mismatches the tight waist. If you want to go skinny, go skinny all the way to keep the look coherent. Even if that´s not the style I would recommend and my guess is that you did not ask for a skinny look. Am I right?

Arm length a bit short (but still corresponds with the short arm length of the shirt). White trousers to long, the grey trousers are much better regarding the length.
Thanks for the feedback. You're right, I wasn't going for a skinny look. I would imagine it's not too big a job to fix the skinny waist? I would def get the cream trousers hemmed.

Crispyj

Reaction score
Jacket should have enough to be let out? Was this commission in person or remote?

Featured Sponsor

Where do you usually take inspiration for your style? Choose up to 3 answers

• Styleforum & other menswear forums

• Instagram

• TikTok

• Reddit

• Fashion Magazines

• Fashion Blogs

• Friends & Acquaintances

• Celebrities/influencers

• TV Shows & Movies

Results are only viewable after voting.