• We would like to welcome American Trench as an official Affiliate Vendor. American Trench is a Philadelphia based outerwear, apparel, and accessories brand, making all of its products in the United States at (mostly) family owned factories. . Please visit the American Trench thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That was not an option!
I personally like striped jackets. Have cloth similar to the one I referenced. It's not as bold of color contrast of the stripe and the ground but the scale of the stripe is the same.
Will make it some day.
Boating cloths can make interesting jackets too.

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@edinatlanta I am not sure if those 2 houndstooths in the first photo will really stand out - they are more likely going to resolve to a solid at a distance. I'd recommend looking for a gunclub. The last photo looks like something that would be hard to wear with mid or light grey trousers.

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Boating cloths can make interesting jackets too.

Not for me, but this is a nice specimen of a boating jacket, out of a cloth that does not remind striped suiting fabric at all. FWIW, this is the same gentleman who commissioned the Fox "Negroni" tweed, again from Luciano.

1643019844292.png

Best,

Dimitris

PS
Please, do check the perfect pattern alignment / matching of his left (right for us) shoulder-sleeve.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not for me, but this is a nice specimen of a boating jacket, out of a cloth that does not remind striped suiting fabric at all. FWIW, this is the same gentleman who commissioned the Fox "Negroni" tweed, again from Luciano.

View attachment 1742642

Best,

Dimitris

PS
Please, do check the perfect pattern alignment / matching of his left (right for us) shoulder-sleeve.
@Bespoke DJP
This is about as bold as I like. Don’t think I could wear it myself but some guys can wear this and own it.
Have cut the sleeve to align vertically like this only once before. You have a good eye that you spotted it.

if you want to go deeper in cutting cloth and symmetry.
Cut the cloth on the fold and reverse the top cloth over the bottom. Cut each pattern piece separately so you get seams and darts on the same points of the stripe. When you assemble the jacket the lighter stripe will be on the outside on both right and left front panels. The brown stripe will be inward on both sides and the same on the back and sleeves. The two sides become a mirrored image instead if repeating across and around the jacket.
Cut a seam at the center back of the top collar so the alignment of the stripe matches the body.
Worth the effort to me and I like the visual symmetry it creates.

Last edited:

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
@Bespoke DJP
This is about as bold as I like. Don’t think I could wear it myself but some guys can wear this and own it.
Have only cut the sleeve to align vertically like this once before. You have a good eye that you spotted it.

Thank you Dear Sir!

I agree on all counts.

Best,

Dimitris

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score

Orazio Luciano is a Neapolitan tailor, I believe that he was the head cutter for Kiton before starting his own Sartoria. After some years, his son Pino had also joined the family business.

I have not had the opportunity to check IRL their garments, only observed some online, and in general terms I like both the silhouette and few details - if shown in the images - of their work. I think that they are now doing RTW as well, so they have all the range, Bespoke, MTM, RTW.

Cheers,

Dimitris

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@edinatlanta I am not sure if those 2 houndstooths in the first photo will really stand out - they are more likely going to resolve to a solid at a distance. I'd recommend looking for a gunclub. The last photo looks like something that would be hard to wear with mid or light grey trousers.
The tannish one in Zegna's lookbook had it paired with some khaki pants and it looked good but that was a highly stylized photo, of course.

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
@Bespoke DJP

if you want to go deeper in cutting cloth and symmetry.
Cut the cloth on the fold and reverse the top cloth over the bottom. Cut each pattern piece separately so you get seams and darts on the same points of the stripe. When you assemble the jacket the lighter stripe will be on the outside on both right and left front panels. The brown stripe will be inward on both sides and the same on the back and sleeves. The two sides become a mirrored image instead if repeating across and around the jacket.
Cut a seam at the center back of the top collar so the alignment of the stripe matches the body.
Worth the effort to me and I like the visual symmetry it creates.

Dear @Despos,

I am glad that you edited and offered us the above elaboration on symmetry; truly educational & inspiring!

Quite controversial, but I can picture it as creating a much more interesting result. Yes, in deed; the absolute mirror image! Should I ever contemplate a Sport Coat (or Caban coat) which may deserve such a treatment, I will definitely discuss it with my tailor in Athens, Greece - Mr. Kourlas - who, although experienced enough, is always willing to listen to new, interesting ideas.

Best,

Dimitris

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
I would post it if I had it! :(

It's OK, thank you!

You need to know that if the fabrics are the ones that I am posting here below (as it happens I had saved this image), and I estimate that they are, then they were offered in the EZ Anteprima FW' 2019-20, a seasonal collection which is immediately retired when the following collection (SS' 2020 in this case) is launched; one may find fabrics only in cloth merchants who by chance may had already stocked them.

They both were a top-tier Ermenegildo Zegna fabric's line, namely "14Milmil14": 96% S'180 (14microns) wool, 4% cashmere (also 14microns) at approx. 330grams; I remember that our fellow @Crispyj had commissioned a sport coat from this very Anteprima and line in an olive green plaid.

1643042323906.png

Best,

Dimitris

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1742642

Best,

Dimitris

PS
Mark Cho of The Armoury had a suit made in the same cloth. Agree it looks better as a blazer, but it's a pretty unique cloth regardless.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It's OK, thank you!

You need to know that if the fabrics are the ones that I am posting here below (as it happens I had saved this image), and I estimate that they are, then they were offered in the EZ Anteprima FW' 2019-20, a seasonal collection which is immediately retired when the following collection (SS' 2020 in this case) is launched; one may find fabrics only in cloth merchants who by chance may had already stocked them.

They both were a top-tier Ermenegildo Zegna fabric's line, namely "14Milmil14": 96% S'180 (14microns) wool, 4% cashmere (also 14microns) at approx. 330grams; I remember that our fellow @Crispyj had commissioned a sport coat from this very Anteprima and line in an olive green plaid.

View attachment 1742725

Best,

Dimitris
I think the color is a little different but the layout was the same with a blue check on the page.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's OK, thank you!

View attachment 1742725

Best,

Dimitris
I think the color is a little different but the layout was the same with a blue check on the page.
These look a lot like the houndstooth in Piacenza’s Dunes book. I have a jacket getting made up in one of the houndstooth patterns in that book.

EDIT: Here's a link to the book: https://www.piacenza1733.com/bunch/en/78-dunes#/page-4

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

What's Your Favorite Summer Shoe?

• Loafers

• Boat shoes

• Espadrilles

• Sneakers

• Desert Boots

• Sandals

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads