• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the fancy printed lining phase for awhile before reverting back to plain old boring linings. It's easier on the wallet in the long run ?

Eh, the Rampley ones are pretty extreme, but I've pulled simpler printed linings that are pretty great from Lining Company before - those especially are pretty wallet friendly in context of the overall cost of the jacket.

krakatoa

Reaction score
His and hers bespoke robes in 17oz Fox flannel (his with purple piping, hers with pink).

Attachments

• WeChat Image_20211124083826.jpg
    WeChat Image_20211124083826.jpg
    316.7 KB · Views: 67
  • WeChat Image_20211124083802.jpg
    WeChat Image_20211124083802.jpg
    292.7 KB · Views: 68

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
His and hers bespoke robes in 17oz Fox flannel (his with purple piping, hers with pink).
I love this.

Is the fabric scratchy against skin?

I bought a Derek Rose wool robe and it definitely is.

moddey

Reaction score
watched that new cat illustrator Cumberbatch movie and he wears a nice robe at the end that got me thinking about something similar
cumberbatch robe.jpg

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eh, the Rampley ones are pretty extreme, but I've pulled simpler printed linings that are pretty great from Lining Company before - those especially are pretty wallet friendly in context of the overall cost of the jacket.
The only printed colored linings i would ever consider today are the japanese painting or Chinese opera motifs

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only printed colored linings i would ever consider today are the japanese painting or Chinese opera motifs

Certainly your prerogative. I enjoy having linings of paintings that have significance to me. I have a couple custom printed ones, and more on the list for the future.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Some guy lined his suit with the texts he exchanged with his wife. They met on a dating site and corresponded a bunch before going on a date. He later had a custom lining made with that text and then used the lining for his wedding suit. As a graphic designer, he also typeset everything himself.

tumblr_nt0xdrigdc1qa2j8co1_1280.jpeg

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Certainly your prerogative. I enjoy having linings of paintings that have significance to me. I have a couple custom printed ones, and more on the list for the future.
Oh what I meant was I always hoped that rampley would do linings of those. Like a hokusai wave of kanagawa lining would be sick

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some guy lined his suit with the texts he exchanged with his wife. They met on a dating site and corresponded a bunch before going on a date. He later had a custom lining made with that text and then used the lining for his wedding suit. As a graphic designer, he also typeset everything himself.

View attachment 1708974
When you log into your dating site and see messages like that
335C6E58-003F-44A6-B9BF-9D55494A43E3.jpeg

(In all seriousness that’s a very cool idea for a lining)

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh what I meant was I always hoped that rampley would do linings of those. Like a hokusai wave of kanagawa lining would be sick

Oh ... so... the way Rampley custom works is if the image you want has a high quality image that is royalty free, they will print for you at the cost of normal linings. If you have to pay a royalty for an image, they will let you know before hand.

Any of their images that are pocket squares they can put on linings I believe. My friend had linings done of one of the samurai prints at normal cost.

Great Wave would be cool for sure. I have some Hokusai prints in one of my offices.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh ... so... the way Rampley custom works is if the image you want has a high quality image that is royalty free, they will print for you at the cost of normal linings. If you have to pay a royalty for an image, they will let you know before hand.

Any of their images that are pocket squares they can put on linings I believe. My friend had linings done of one of the samurai prints at normal cost.

Great Wave would be cool for sure. I have some Hokusai prints in one of my offices.
Ahh gotcha...yeah I like most of their famous historical paintings but personally as much as it would be cool to have their linings, I feel it does not vibe with most of my commissions...which are mostly dinner jackets anyway! I may get one of these prints someday for a fun boucle jacket or an 80s inspired armani cut. Having one of the famous japanese woodblock prints as a lining would be dope!

Sorry if it came across as I was trying to knock you down...what I meant was for me personally it is one of those really fun ideas which does not tend to work out for me due to clashing formalities and minimnalist philosophies if that makes sense

Last edited:

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1708974
Jesus...the days of long texts and back and forth messaging...miss them...different dating world these days

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads