• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Man, I’m tellin ya. Wish he could come sooner but it’s easier for me to go there than him to come here at the moment. Italy (and most of the EU) is still blocked from entering.
Luckily the unfunded liabilities I have earmarked for I Sarti are S/S fabrics and I'm still WFH until the fall...so as long as I can get them made up for next spring I'll be a happy camper.

Have a Cacciopoli navy hopsack in hand, and Salvo has ordered a length of this LP wool-silk-linen mix that I'm in love with...looking to go full bore Italian with these: soft canvas, spalla camicia, 3r2, patch pockets, barachetta, etc.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd be curious to hear how displacing that side seam affects the fit and drape, if at all. Does it only work for certain body types? Does the pattern have to be changed in other ways, besides the fact that the seam isn't there?
Just asked Ryan, and he said it doesn't affect fit/drape at all. The only thing that changes is the seam placement (insofar as the seam is moved), but the overall pattern shape is the same.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Elch

Reaction score
The pants look awesome. I especially like how the pleat stays closed. Is that a consequence of their depth?

I often see pleats being pulled open which seems to commonly occur on reverse pleats. Are those not deep enough or is that a general "feature" of reverse ones?

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pants look awesome. I especially like how the pleat stays closed. Is that a consequence of their depth?

I often see pleats being pulled open which seems to commonly occur on reverse pleats. Are those not deep enough or is that a general "feature" of reverse ones?
Both pleat depth and roominess. In addition to 1.5” pleats (so 3” total) fabric often needs to be “pushed” forward from the side seam toward your thighs, depending on one’s build.

Egdon Heath

Reaction score
Echoing the compliments.
Most pleats begin immediately below the waist line. His are sewn shut for about two inches. This helps the flatness.

I imagine the prominent side adjusters are primarily for looks. And they do look good. Adjusters cinch the fabric at the point they're attached. To a max of about an inch and a half each. Unless you expect the waistline to go up and down regularly, you can skip the adjuster and sew the cinch in. By hand, about five to ten minutes each. DIY, hey it's a cinch.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Echoing the compliments.
Most pleats begin immediately below the waist line. His are sewn shut for about two inches. This helps the flatness.

I imagine the prominent side adjusters are primarily for looks. And they do look good. Adjusters cinch the fabric at the point they're attached. To a max of about an inch and a half each. Unless you expect the waistline to go up and down regularly, you can skip the adjuster and sew the cinch in. By hand, about five to ten minutes each. DIY, hey it's a cinch.
Since you mentioned it, my paunch expands and contracts quite a bit throughout the day. Let’s just say after the second cup of coffee, I cinch the pull tabs.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How often do you get a haircut?

• Every 2 weeks

• Every 3 weeks

• Once a month

• Every 6 weeks or longer

Results are only viewable after voting.