• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Marshak

Reaction score
Last Pastena order in WBill linen. Pleased with the result. The handwork is amazing. Antonio did an excellent job.

IMG_20210515_181734__01.jpg IMG_20210515_182219__01.jpg IMG_20210515_181526.jpg
IMG_20210515_181517.jpg

Encathol Epistemia

Reaction score
I visited John Di Pietro today to retrieve a waistcoat and trousers in a brown tweed and for a basted fitting of my covert coat. As we've both been vaccinated and restrictions have been eased, it was the first time in more than a year that we've seen one another's faces.

The covert coat is proving to be quite a laborious project as Mr. Di Pietro has never made one before, but he's game to try. I had first proposed this in January of 2020, but... events intervened to cause some delay. It should certainly be ready by fall.

Covert Coat Basted Fitting.JPG

The garment will be a little shorter when finished and have four rows of 'railroading' (contrasting stiches) at the cuffs and bottom as well was single rows along the pocket flaps and along the edges.

While there, I also took pictures of a suit that he's making for a colleague of mine whom I persuaded to try it as he's been interested in a new suit and has been ruined by seeing what a well-fitting suit looks like compared to his. (He's tall, barrel-chested and long-limbed) His wife has also been quite keen on the idea of getting him some better clothes and had tried to persuade him to get one made when they were in Korea a few years ago. (I think that those might have been made-to-measure shops, but I never inquired deeper)

Colleague's Suit Coat - Near Completion.JPG

It's in navy gabardine with a 'half-clover" lapel. It just needs its buttons, a little final trimming and final pressing.

Colleague's Waistcoat.JPG

It will be a three-piece. He and his wife have been quite taken with some of the flashier linings on my suits, so he was very enthusiastic about choosing something with some excitement to it. He chose this iridescent red paisley, which is a pretty classic pairing with the navy. He's enjoyed the process and even bought some of the made-to-measure shirts that Mr. Di Pietro offers. He's also considering having Mr. Di Pietro make a blazer for his wife as a gift.

Last edited:

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Very nice!

Edwin at Steed made me a double breasted suit in that very same fabric a couple of years back.

Mark from Plano

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Great. In fairness though, I may not be as heat sensitive as some. It is heavier weight for sure, so you need to be looking for that. I prefer the way the heavier Irish linens behave better than some of the lighter ones. But YMMV

induere_to

Reaction score
Didn’t really realize how many failures would be involved in the pattern drafting for this raglan sleeve... usually, I’m working off blocks, however, we didn’t have a block for a raglan sleeve so I had to draw it from scratch (I recently acquired a handful of pattern drafting literature from a friend of mines’ apprenticeship days across the pond). A mixture of amateurism and perfectionism to blame for its process, it took me about six retries to finalize my draft. I decided on a one-seam raglan instead of two because although I understand that two seams drape cleaner, I wanted the challenge myself to try to perfect a sleeve with just one seam. Why not?

Somewhere around the fourth attempt:

7B5349B3-0116-4AA6-A40A-857862B2AB4F.jpeg

0D568678-0398-458C-95DB-F6B2C863A0EF.jpeg

And finally, the final draft:
4DC31CAA-F164-4CCA-9FAD-F4CB56946869.jpeg

Tomorrow, I’ll take it apart for the last time and trace the pattern and begin putting together the finalized sleeve. With the casentino fabric being quite a bit more spongey, I’m certain the shoulder dart won’t look as dramatically shirred as the muslin. Otherwise, I’ll scratch my head and take it all apart again to adjust:

D5BE7680-5572-485C-83D2-4DDEE8E2AA7B.jpeg

On a separate note, I visited my secondary apprenticeship outside of the city yesterday where I have a shirtmaker teaching me shirts. After having a previous bad experience with a tailor butchering a one-piece collar shirt last year, I felt inspired to try to draw my own pattern for one today:

DF7B1929-E722-405B-BB0A-5C06469A766A.jpeg

ED8F965F-1008-461C-8C40-6BB0FAC63B8E.jpeg

A1743540-125C-48E6-AD60-99615C4A2A58.jpeg

Marshak

Reaction score

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love both collars. From your usual neapolitan dealer?

Yes, Pepe Golia. Through this time the seamstress should have been different. Yoke is machine made but buttons are hand shanked. Interlining is harder also.

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Marshak

Reaction score
Hesitating between these two for a summer jacket. Any thought?

signal-2021-05-15-153606.jpg signal-2021-05-14-163402 (1).jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads