• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear and fashion.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Crispyj

Reaction score
I may order another odd jacket in February. I'm thinking about an odd jacket in Casentino wool.
I am deciding on an odd jacket as well. I have a limited Fox tweed and Marling & Evans 50/50 Wool Linen. Either I send both those in or sell both to fund new fabrics.

Biggest decision is Fox Tweed (left) or Porter & Harding (Right)
1611363620891.png
1611363646242.png

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am deciding on an odd jacket as well. I have a limited Fox tweed and Marling & Evans 50/50 Wool Linen. Either I send both those in or sell both to fund new fabrics.

Biggest decision is Fox Tweed (left) or Porter & Harding (Right)
View attachment 1541116View attachment 1541117
Not a big windowpane fan (at least for myself), but my vote is for the Fox.

ValidusLA

Reaction score
@ValidusLA how do these wear compared to the standard bemberg/cupro linings?
Mmm ok so... silk doesn't wear as nice as cupro. This is sorta just....the way it is.
But there are degrees of silk. My tailor actually owns a somewhat recently acquired silk importer / printer. He has been extremely complimentary of the Rampley and Co silk quality. It is nicely light for how durable it is etc.

I don't generally put these in anything under 10-10.5 oz. I certainly would go for cupro (or half lined) on any traveler or hot weather jacket.

ValidusLA

Reaction score
I find silk to be hotter than cupro and I don't like it.
I think this is what I alluded to in the post above, isn't it?

If you are concerned with comfort above all other concerns, silk is not the way to go.

Encathol Epistemia

Reaction score
I just saw John Di Pietro this afternoon for a basted fitting. (He normally isn't in the shop on Tuesdays during the plague, but he was in the neighborhood for a dentist's appointment)

It will be a single-breasted, two-button ventless jacket with cloverleaf lapels in a wool and cashmere Zegna fabric that I had been noticing on his shelves almost since I started visiting him.

Dark Plaid Jacket Basted Body.JPG

This is the jacket in its basted state. Mr. Di Pietro tells me that he had to use a flashlight for the pattern matching. (N.b. It's currently mocked up with side and center vents as I was originally unsure as to what I wanted, but those will all be sewn closed)

Dark Plaid Jacket Basted Sleeve.JPG

As a testament to what lighting can do, this is what the flash on my camera did to the cloth when I took this close-in picture of the arm. It's rather washed out, but shows the colors of the plaid a little better.

The jacket will also have a barchetta pocket, cuffs and mother-of-pearl buttons; it's not going to be a subtle garment.

Dege & Skinner Curved Pockets.jpg

I had also hoped to have crescent pockets like these by Dege & Skinner, but after having examined the pictures and consulted with several colleagues, Mr. Di Pietro couldn't figure how to do it out. The shape of the flap is no trouble, but he couldn't determine how the jet along the top was constructed. Instead it will have hacking pockets with flaps that curve at the front.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite knitwear under jackets/sport coats

• Crewneck sweater

• Turtleneck sweater

• Long-sleeve polo

• Vest

• I don't like knitwear worn with jackets/sport coats

Results are only viewable after voting.