Ongoing Bespoke Projects

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sander, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Leaves

Leaves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

NSM made my tweed trousers unlined. Now THAT was itchy. No problem, they are adding lining. I guess they don't have much experience with tweed trousers in Napoli. :D

2. chogall

chogall Senior member

Neapolitan fantasy.

3. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Looking to have my first bespoke sportcoat made. I am overwhelmed. Thinking a rust barley corn. Or a rusty brown semi-solid. Although navy is a solid first choice, I have enough navy SCs, and my complexion is better with rusts / Browns.

Meeting with Chris next Monday, decisions decisions!

Small note, this will be first sportcoat, second commission :).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  4. Dachshund

Dachshund Senior member

+1 - am also considering the jump to bespoke. I love that jacket from NSM a few posts back. From what I see online they seem very reasonably priced and they visit London. Anyone care to share any feedback on them?

5. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

Brown Herringbone is the way to go.

6. David Reeves

David Reeves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]

Have yet to do the buttonholes on this.

[​IMG]

Rather Star Wars looking I think.

7. Leaves

Leaves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

@Newcomer Just a friendly advice, if you are about to commission your first bespoke suit, go for something really basic like a navy jacket. I learned the hard way. The only stuff I wear from my early commissions are the basic items. Maybe you are a more sensible guy than I am though, maybe you don't need that advice. :)

8. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

Leaves - I think what you said has a lot of merit. I definitely want a solid or a semi solid, a la herringbone, barley corn, hopsack, or even a donegal. I think I should maybe rethink whether or not I should stick to something like a navy jacket (I wear my navy jackets more than anything else in my closet). With my coloring, I kind of like the idea of a dark, rusty color (I'll provide an example when I get the chance), but I do worry a little bit about versatility. I normally wear grey odd trousers, whites, light Browns, etc., so as long as it works with those I will be happy.

I will exercise some restraint though, no lavender with white over checks or anything crazy :)

9. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

I think a rusty brown herringbone is a great idea for your second thing from CD. I have three herringbone SCs and wear them often: green, tan, and charcoal. W. Bill x2 and Breanish, both of which I recommend, the former being tighter woven, heavier, and thus warmer. If I lived somewhere colder, I'd be tempted to get more of the W. Bills, not bec. I don't like the Breanish, but bec. the WBs come in so many beautiful colors.

The green is my favorite, in part because it's so versatile. Goes well w/ tan or grey pants, whereas I usually only wear the tan jacket w/ grey pants and the charcoal w/ tan pants. (By grey pants I mean light, medium or dark, and by tan pants I mean khaki or taupe through stone.) You might put swatches of various pant material next to the tweed swatches to see what pairs well. All three of mine go well w/ blue jeans too, which can be helpful imo.

10. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Aren't you from Texas or somewhere else from the South? If so, you should consider linen or an open weave cloth. If you were looking for a suit, I'd recommend mohair - scratchy but performs unbelievably well in high humidity.

11. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I do live in the South -- southern Louisiana, to be specific. In all honesty, although I have nothing against linen -- I love my linen pants and jackets -- I just can't justify this kind of money on linen. Not sure why, exactly, but linen just doesn't feel like it has the lasting power.

I was talking about this with @DLJr, but I have been thinking about "faux-tweed" or something lighter but with autumnal / fall colors. We discussed some options that I have noted When it is hot in the summer any jacket is miserable to wear. I avoid wearing even linen unless I have to. And anywho, most of my day is spend indoors in AC, so whatever need I have for hot weather garb is mitigated by the fact that I am indoors 99% of the day (to my chagrin).

I have thought about a fresco suit, maybe AF blue, but at least for me, the jury is still out on fresco. An open weave jacket or a mohair suit is something I can get behind.

12. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Yeah, get Worsted Alsport, they have some good solid herringbones that will you do right.

13. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Senior member

Mohair!! So much sex appeal in that cloth.

14. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

I have given thought to a navy mohair suit.

15. ericgereghty

ericgereghty Senior member

I love the texture, and its resiliency is something else. I have a Shibumi navy tie in a 70-30 W/M split, and there are absolutely no wrinkles to speak at normal points of stress.

As someone who ties a fairly tight knot, I found that quite awesome.

Edit: not sure where you'd be looking, but Smith Woolens seems to have some snazzy options.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2015