• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Bold patterns like this and the styling you choose need to be in harmony.
The Chesterfield and DB with peak lapels pictured in this thread don't look right because they breach that concept.
The other issue and one you won't know until it's done is how the pattern is laid on the cloth; as to where the seams, finished edges intersect cloth pattern.
The less interruption of the pattern the better. When you see disruption of the pattern or awkward meeting up of the plaids it becomes a distraction and draws unwanted attention to the area.
The Steed jacket DWW posted shows a well thought out placement of the front dart that made the vertical pattern on the pocket flap match exactly with the body and allowed the empty part of the plaid to be on the front edge. Makes for a clean, uninterrupted look.
With this type of planning/placement you get a better, uninterrupted visual.

aristoi bcn

Reaction score

These lapels are perfection in size and angle. I don't think the cloth looks that odd in this case but the utility of such an item should be very reduced unless you are really a fan of the russell check.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

These lapels are perfection in size and angle. I don't think the cloth looks that odd in this case but the utility of such an item should be very reduced unless you are really a fan of the russell check.
This its like using a corduroy or tweed for a tuxedo

The darts aren't cut like the Steed jacket here. These flaps don't align with the vertical stripe of the body like the Steed jacket.

Bespoke DJP

Reaction score
Dear @Despos,

Your analysis above, is spot on as always!

As far as the placement of the front darts is concerned, the same holds true for the "pale" Russell check Sport Coat where the optimal position of the darts has also led to an uninterrupted flow of the vertical pattern and a perfect patch pockets' alignment.

Great discussion these last pages, gentlemen; I truly enjoyed it!

Best,

Dimitris

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I dont understand this fabric.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have always wanted a Russell check jacket. But it’s near impossible to wear down under

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Careful, lordsuperb. I know that you're gonna have it your way or nuthin' at all, but I think you're moving too fast.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always thought the lyrics to that song were go go jason waterfalls until semi-recently
I always thought the lyrics to old town road was “take you home...till the cows come home” rather than “ride till I can’t no more”

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Work From Home: What's Your Attire?

• PJs & Slippers

• Cozy loungewear

• Casual outfit (wool cardigan, chinos, etc)

• Suit or sport coat and dress trousers

Results are only viewable after voting.