• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

konstantis

Reaction score
I side with Dimitris on this. I don‘t think it really works as a Chesterfield. Personally that fabric (Russell check?) screams sporting coat for me, i.e. something one would wear while hunting or shooting.
Thanks for you reply. Would you see it as a balmacaan?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That fabric isn't right for a Chesterfield.

To be honest, I have a sport coat in a similar fabric and find it hard to wear. I imagine it would be even harder as a coat. Personally would go for a different fabric for a Bal.

dan'l

Reaction score
^I thought you had one, Derek. Didn‘t you post pics before, or am I imaging things?

@konstantis , I like patterned overcoats, but I tend to agree with dww that a different fabric would be more suitable for your project.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^I thought you had one, Derek. Didn‘t you post pics before, or am I imaging things?

@konstantis , I like patterned overcoats, but I tend to agree with dww that a different fabric would be more suitable for your project.
I have a sport coat in that cloth. Not from Lovat, but a Russell check. I like it partly because it's associated in my mind with an author I really like. But I find it somewhat difficult to wear -- sort of horse blankety, a bit yellow, and maybe a bit too old school for my taste. I don't think it's a bad cloth, but I do think it's particular and somewhat hard to wear.

As a coat, I would find it too much. For a Bal, I would just go with a more subtle pattern -- a chunky herringbone, a large scale brown/ black houndstooth tweed, maybe even a Donegal.

undertheskin

Reaction score
can someone recommend a nice beefy dark grey wide herringbone fabric with some body to hang well for a balmacaan?

i like these:

but has anyone made one from magees tweed and speak to their quality?

edit: i didn't like vbc, drapers, marling and molloys overcoat offerings and did not manage to take a look at harrisons.

konstantis

Reaction score
I have a sport coat in that cloth. Not from Lovat, but a Russell check. I like it partly because it's associated in my mind with an author I really like. But I find it somewhat difficult to wear -- sort of horse blankety, a bit yellow, and maybe a bit too old school for my taste. I don't think it's a bad cloth, but I do think it's particular and somewhat hard to wear.

As a coat, I would find it too much. For a Bal, I would just go with a more subtle pattern -- a chunky herringbone, a large scale brown/ black houndstooth tweed, maybe even a Donegal.
I see what you mean . When i bought the fabric 1.5 years ago , i i liked the charm of the old school you mentioned . Just wondering if i made the right decision before sending it to the tailor because for sure is a loud pattern.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I see what you mean . When i bought the fabric 1.5 years ago , i i liked the charm of the old school you mentioned . Just wondering if i made the right decision before sending it to the tailor because for sure is a loud pattern.
I think the fabric can work if you like that old school kind of look. Sometimes I'm in the mood for it and sometimes I'm not. But if you're going to use the fabric, I would use it for a sport coat, personally. I just think if you use it for a coat, the coat will be so loud, it will overpower the rest of what you're wearing, rather than complementing it.

can someone recommend a nice beefy dark grey wide herringbone fabric with some body to hang well for a balmacaan?

i like these:

but has anyone made one from magees tweed and speak to their quality?

edit: i didn't like vbc, drapers, marling and molloys overcoat offerings and did not manage to take a look at harrisons.
I don't have any clothes made from Magee, but I believe @FlyingHorker recently got a coat made from one of their tweeds. If you haven't seen it already, Fox has a large scale herringbone tweed in a light brown/ mid-brown color combination. I happen to have a swatch sitting next to me, but I can't remember if it's new or from years ago. The reference number is A1677/15 if you want to follow-up with the company. It's soft without being spongey. Seems nice.

undertheskin

Reaction score
I don't have any clothes made from Magee, but I believe @FlyingHorker recently got a coat made from one of their tweeds. If you haven't seen it already, Fox has a large scale herringbone tweed in a light brown/ mid-brown color combination. I happen to have a swatch sitting next to me, but I can't remember if it's new or from years ago. The reference number is A1677/15 if you want to follow-up with the company. It's soft without being spongey. Seems nice.
he got a coat from marling&evans offering but i don't like the hand of it. i had some sample and was too 'flat' for my taste.

the fox cloth looks to have a somewhat luxe-finish, is this right? looked pretty on the polocoat that's linked on pinterest.
but i need something i can wear with some streetwear stuff thus looking for something a bit more unrefined :)
think of the NBxALD add.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
he got a coat from marling&evans offering but i don't like the hand of it. i had some sample and was too 'flat' for my taste.

the fox cloth looks to have a somewhat luxe-finish, is this right? looked pretty on the polocoat that's linked on pinterest.
but i need something i can wear with some streetwear stuff thus looking for something a bit more unrefined :)
think of the NBxALD add.
I wouldn't call it luxe. It's pretty tweedy looking, but just feels softer than your average tweed.

I also have some Magee swatches here, but all in jacketing weight. Not sure if they're comparable to the fabrics you're looking at.

Fox is pretty good about sending swatches. If you email them a reference number, they'll send you a swatch for a very small fee (I think like $1.50 or something). My only concern with it is the color. It's a light brown and mid-brown herringbone, which gives it a sort of tan color. If you're looking for something darker, this might not be right for you. I would say the shade is just barely one shade lighter than the black/white herringbone you listed above.

undertheskin

Reaction score
I wouldn't call it luxe. It's pretty tweedy looking, but just feels softer than your average tweed.

I also have some Magee swatches here, but all in jacketing weight. Not sure if they're comparable to the fabrics you're looking at.

Fox is pretty good about sending swatches. If you email them a reference number, they'll send you a swatch for a very small fee (I think like $1.50 or something). My only concern with it is the color. It's a light brown and mid-brown herringbone, which gives it a sort of tan color. If you're looking for something darker, this might not be right for you. I would say the shade is just barely one shade lighter than the black/white herringbone you listed above.
yeah, the color is wrong but as i understand fox' offerings the make of your swatch should be the same as this one which fits the color spectrum i am looking for way better:

ty derek!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
yeah, the color is wrong but as i understand fox' offerings the make of your swatch should be the same as this one which fits the color spectrum i am looking for way better:

ty derek!
If I can, I'll try to take a quick snap of the fabric tomorrow and post it here. The link you posted doesn't look like the swatch I have in my hand, but I'll snap a pic so you can decide whether you want to request a swatch from them.

undertheskin

Reaction score
If I can, I'll try to take a quick snap of the fabric tomorrow and post it here. The link you posted doesn't look like the swatch I have in my hand, but I'll snap a pic so you can decide whether you want to request a swatch from them.
ye, my bad. it's wcw 601 vs wjm 601. definitely not alike.

i'll just ask douglas if he has something for my purpose :)

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Finally, I don't know if @konstantis does have this image, it is the same Lovat cloth's sport coat iteration:

Best,

Dimitris
I believe there are two different versions of that cloth -- one pale and the other yellow.

The yellow one:

42A138B9-89A1-477D-B6D0-8784B3A16F84.jpeg

The pale one:

image.png

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Work From Home: What's Your Attire?

• PJs & Slippers

• Cozy loungewear

• Casual outfit (wool cardigan, chinos, etc)

• Suit or sport coat and dress trousers

Results are only viewable after voting.