• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
IMO the extended shoulder on Mr. R. is meant to broaden his shoulder/chest so he doesn't look so A line from shoulder to hip. The droop is a side effect. You can see the point his shoulder ends under the jacket. Looks like he has pretty narrow shoulders compared to waist girth.
That shoulder droop is one of the most off putting things to me. Would not ever want to make a shoulder like that.

yanagi

Reaction score
I've always really like Maryannews shoulder droop...it's a thing, but I like it...

I like a slightly extended shoulder and just enough padding to avoid the droop. But you know what they say, Sui gusti non si deve discutere ;)

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO the extended shoulder on Mr. R. is meant to broaden his shoulder/chest so he doesn't look so A line from shoulder to hip. The droop is a side effect. You can see the point his shoulder ends under the jacket. Looks like he has pretty narrow shoulders compared to waist girth.
That shoulder droop is one of the most off putting things to me. Would not ever want to make a shoulder like that.
Would this work better if someone has a relatively narrow waist as well?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Would this work better if someone has a relatively narrow waist as well?

I personally don't think so. The whole point of the extended shoulder is to help create that V-shaped figure. Most guys don't have that figure.

If you have that figure, an extended shoulder can make you look cartoony.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally don't think so. The whole point of the extended shoulder is to help create that V-shaped figure. Most guys don't have that figure.

If you have that figure, an extended shoulder can make you look cartoony.
If I understood correctly, doesn't that presume that narrow waist=V-shape though?

I've a slight hourglass shape with a narrow waist, and my hips and chest are the same width. More an X.

Trying to experiment with different cuts with my body, need to balance comfort and silhouette.

Others seem to like padded shoulder slope and sleevecaps on me with a narrow waist that emphasizes the X-shape, but I'm not a fan. Too stiff and uncomfortable for me.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If I understood correctly, doesn't that presume that narrow waist=V-shape though?

I've a slight hourglass shape with a narrow waist, and my hips and chest are the same width. More an X.

Trying to experiment with different cuts with my body, need to balance comfort and silhouette.

Others seem to like padded shoulder slope and sleevecaps on me with a narrow waist that emphasizes the X-shape, but I'm not a fan. Too stiff and uncomfortable for me.

This is less about the specific measurement of the waist and more about the proportion between your shoulders and waist.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is less about the specific measurement of the waist and more about the proportion between your shoulders and waist.
e6McrXw.jpg

Does that help? I'd consider that an extended shoulder, just not to the extent of Rubinacci, and it's about as far as I've gone.

The jacket is roomy in the waist. I was thinking of slightly more extension in shoulder, a bit more taper in waist, and a bit more length.

GzianoCucinelli

Reaction score

I found these videos on Dylan & Son's Instagram Page pretty interesting, so I'm sharing it here:

Last edited:

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, it clearly reads a defect, but I like it. I would NEVER ask for it on one of MY jackets, but it looks cool on super elegant old Italian dudes. I could be wrong, but I feel like there are a number of Luciano Barbera images with a similar extended shoulder droop?

IJReilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a big chest and a rather large behind. My preference is for little or no padding and loose waist. Some people like to show off their figure or exaggerate it. Personally I don't think that is very elegant.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like a slightly extended shoulder and just enough padding to avoid the droop. But you know what they say, Sui gusti non si deve discutere ;)

I also get an extended shoulder with a bit of padding to avoid the droop, but I find it charming on certain gents that are otherwise quite stylish.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just noticed this same pocket style on an I Sarti Italiani coat. Jetted with the stitching around the pocket.

I think I may give this a try on a future order.

64706656_879305219071977_651164753736704394_n.jpg

64706656_879305219071977_651164753736704394_n2.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads