• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
IMO the extended shoulder on Mr. R. is meant to broaden his shoulder/chest so he doesn't look so A line from shoulder to hip. The droop is a side effect. You can see the point his shoulder ends under the jacket. Looks like he has pretty narrow shoulders compared to waist girth.
That shoulder droop is one of the most off putting things to me. Would not ever want to make a shoulder like that.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO the extended shoulder on Mr. R. is meant to broaden his shoulder/chest so he doesn't look so A line from shoulder to hip. The droop is a side effect. You can see the point his shoulder ends under the jacket. Looks like he has pretty narrow shoulders compared to waist girth.
That shoulder droop is one of the most off putting things to me. Would not ever want to make a shoulder like that.
Would this work better if someone has a relatively narrow waist as well?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Would this work better if someone has a relatively narrow waist as well?
I personally don't think so. The whole point of the extended shoulder is to help create that V-shaped figure. Most guys don't have that figure.

If you have that figure, an extended shoulder can make you look cartoony.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally don't think so. The whole point of the extended shoulder is to help create that V-shaped figure. Most guys don't have that figure.

If you have that figure, an extended shoulder can make you look cartoony.
If I understood correctly, doesn't that presume that narrow waist=V-shape though?

I've a slight hourglass shape with a narrow waist, and my hips and chest are the same width. More an X.

Trying to experiment with different cuts with my body, need to balance comfort and silhouette.

Others seem to like padded shoulder slope and sleevecaps on me with a narrow waist that emphasizes the X-shape, but I'm not a fan. Too stiff and uncomfortable for me.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If I understood correctly, doesn't that presume that narrow waist=V-shape though?

I've a slight hourglass shape with a narrow waist, and my hips and chest are the same width. More an X.

Trying to experiment with different cuts with my body, need to balance comfort and silhouette.

Others seem to like padded shoulder slope and sleevecaps on me with a narrow waist that emphasizes the X-shape, but I'm not a fan. Too stiff and uncomfortable for me.
This is less about the specific measurement of the waist and more about the proportion between your shoulders and waist.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is less about the specific measurement of the waist and more about the proportion between your shoulders and waist.

Does that help? I'd consider that an extended shoulder, just not to the extent of Rubinacci, and it's about as far as I've gone.

The jacket is roomy in the waist. I was thinking of slightly more extension in shoulder, a bit more taper in waist, and a bit more length.

Reaction score

I found these videos on Dylan & Son's Instagram Page pretty interesting, so I'm sharing it here:

Last edited:

9thsymph

Reaction score

Yeah, it clearly reads a defect, but I like it. I would NEVER ask for it on one of MY jackets, but it looks cool on super elegant old Italian dudes. I could be wrong, but I feel like there are a number of Luciano Barbera images with a similar extended shoulder droop?

IJReilly

Reaction score
I have a big chest and a rather large behind. My preference is for little or no padding and loose waist. Some people like to show off their figure or exaggerate it. Personally I don't think that is very elegant.

9thsymph

Reaction score
I like a slightly extended shoulder and just enough padding to avoid the droop. But you know what they say, Sui gusti non si deve discutere ;)
I also get an extended shoulder with a bit of padding to avoid the droop, but I find it charming on certain gents that are otherwise quite stylish.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just noticed this same pocket style on an I Sarti Italiani coat. Jetted with the stitching around the pocket.

I think I may give this a try on a future order.

64706656_879305219071977_651164753736704394_n.jpg

64706656_879305219071977_651164753736704394_n2.jpg

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite summer fabric?

• Seersucker

• Fresco

• Linen

• Silk

Results are only viewable after voting.