1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ongoing Bespoke Projects

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sander, Jul 15, 2014.

1. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Stylish Dinosaur

<3

2. David Reeves

David Reeves Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

I'm always confused about this belief that a suit can make someone look taller or shorter or whatever.
    Never felt or seen that personally in my life.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015

3. David Reeves

ugh. I wrote a really interesting post about this and accidentally deleted it.

@jedwards I think if its done well you really wouldn't notice.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015

4. David Reeves

Could you tell us what width is the lapel and what is your chest measurement?

Whatever you put up on here someone is always going to be negative, try not to let it bother you.

5. semperexcelsius

semperexcelsius Senior Member

@David Reeves I got your interesting post over email, so I figured I'd copy it here for those that are interested (@jedwards ):

"You wouldn't see it though. I think it really can, but I have a somewhat different approach to proportions. My approach is that the suit has to have certain balances and ratios to look "good" and the skill is working that around the client by subtracting or detracting to fit him or her into that aesthetic. The goal would be that if you saw pictures of my clients without a frame of reference you would be hard pressed to discern what size they were but they would all look good.

For me my challenge at 35 with three kids and the hours I do is I'm getting out of shape. I used to be a fashion 36 maybe 6 years ago now I'm a solid 40. My coats are cut longer to slim me out as I get wider in the body (so no really short jackets), rather than downplaying my shoulders by cutting them close I now cut them naturally and I cut closer to the waist which is higher and I put in a slightly fuller chest.

Its really all about finesse though a 1/4" here or there can make a huge difference to the look of a garment."

6. chogall

chogall Distinguished Member

Exact same pattern, different color equals to different visual weight.

7. sprout2

sprout2 Distinguished Member

Wait, were you propositioning me, or requesting bathroom selfie?? [​IMG]
    Sorry, I was too frustrated by the wedgie to check into this thread.

Also, dieworkwear, you seem to make a lot of lame jokes directed at Japanese -- is this the classic American Asian mentality of having carte blanche to make stereotypical jokes about Japan because you are part of the same umbrella ethnic group? It's in poor taste.

8. venividivicibj

I think his jokes are mostly vs asians, not japanese in particular.

9. calypso

calypso Senior Member

Here's one of my current projects at the moment, a pair of Linen trousers, first fitting...
    Thinking about make this into a full suit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. venividivicibj

What linen is that?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015

11. third tailor

third tailor Member

in a first try i think its impossible, but maybe it could be done in the 5th suit. i just did my second try and already nailed the shape of the quarters (i think) but the central bottom is too low, i still use front darts and it is a one-button jacket. im also getting a little bit closer with the lappels. i dont want an exact copy sometimes the chest in the liveranos is wide and im very short so that does not work for me, just want to borrow the things i like. i just created this account a few hours ago, because i have wanted to see what the people think of the suits that i have. since i dont talk to anyone about tailoring (exept my tailor). ill upload a picture latter but it still a work in progress so dont be hard.

12. calypso

calypso Senior Member

It´s from Caccioppoli.

13. third tailor

third tailor Member

[​IMG]

the cloth is a very light weight cloth from barberis canonico, it creases a lot.

so yes this is my liverano inspired jacket, i will be taking out some of the roping and will try to fix the quarters, they are pulling a little bit too much. the next jacket will be 3roll2 without darts in the front, my tailor says that he used to make a lot of jacket like that 20 years ago hope it comes up fine. so i will love to hear some feedback, do you think is a bad jacket? is there any problem that i cant see? any remarks? (oh and ignore the longsleeve tshirt, is hot in this part of the world

14. venividivicibj

It's a nice color.

15. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Distinguished Member