1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Ongoing Bespoke Projects

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sander, Jul 15, 2014.

1. taxgenius

taxgenius Distinguished Member

A NY tailor is out of my price range but I think it’s really the only way to go. You need to be measured by the cutter and you need multiple fittings. In the meantime, I buy off the rack and go to Wazin for tailoring.

2. bdavro23

bdavro23 Distinguished Member

Have you tried Kent Wang for MTM or maybe something through NMWA? I have heard great things about the Formosa suits they have and I believe there are trunk shows. The lower price might allow you to experiment more and find something that works for you. Just a thought.

3. taxgenius

taxgenius Distinguished Member

Yes, I used KW for a sports coat which needed work. Granted they paid for me to have it fixed but it didn’t impress me. The one MTM that actually was very good was from a former SF member who works in Long Island. He was good but i naively thought that if MTM is good, then cheap bespoke should be better.

4. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Distinguished Member

This is what turns people off to the whole process. Formosa offers bespoke at a fair price point, and they work well with Greg at fittings.

5. Winot

Winot Senior Member

In case you haven't seen:

https://www.permanentstyle.com/2019/01/new-york-bespoke-tailors.html

6. calypso

calypso Senior Member

I was probably one of Biago's first customers and I have been waiting almost a year for my latest order to be delivered... :mad2::mad2:

7. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Distinguished Member

KW can be hit or miss, I had a nice fitting jacket done, trousers were a debacle. Given they dont have a fitter, if they get it really wrong, its best to abandon the effort there.

For local, reasonable MTM, I had a good experience with SuSu. You are subject to risk around the individual salesman and they seem to turnover regularly, but my outcome was good. You also have to be firm to get something that isn't too fashion forward.

Good (not even great) MTM is superior to mediocre bespoke, especially mediocre bespoke with bad client service.

8. Aloysius16

Aloysius16 Senior Member

Second fitting today with Brita Hirsch in Macclesfield. 13oz Lesser Lumb’s Golden Bale with Macclesfield silk lining from Adamley.

A28EC680-59E0-41A2-BACA-EE92BA7B5C6A.jpeg 9F902520-624F-4E23-8A5F-0C778BB2C01E.jpeg 7AFCAC5D-ACE5-47F0-BA81-42EDB319DA47.jpeg

9. Quesjac

Quesjac Senior Member

Intrigued! Looking forward to hearing how it pans out.

10. bdavro23

bdavro23 Distinguished Member

A lifetime ago, I lived in Macclesfield and really enjoyed my time there. In my current climate, 13oz fabric with a silk lining would likely cause me to literally burst into flames, but quickly extinguish due to the gallons of sweat I would produce!

My envy having been established, that looks a lovely suit and I hope it fits the same.

11. Aloysius16

Aloysius16 Senior Member

Thanks. I was a bit doubtful about a silk lining having read that it is less breathable than bemberg cupro. Brita reassured me that it shouldn’t be a significant problem and I suppose I was tempted by the Macclesfield hallmark that an Adamley or David Evans silk would provide.

Fit was looking pretty good. I have asked for a bit more shoulder breadth and for some adjustments between the blades. I had already asked for a more horizontal gorge angle than the house style but it’s still fairly vertical. Any comments on this? I don’t think it looks dated given that the gorge is pretty high.

12. lordsuperb

Is there a way to source the lining?

13. Quesjac

Quesjac Senior Member

Looks good to me, at least from the angles provided.

[email protected] though I don't know what the minimums are.

14. Aloysius16

Aloysius16 Senior Member

Maybe buy multiple 7 fold ties and unfold them? :)

15. lordsuperb