1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Puchases through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

Ongoing Bespoke Projects

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sander, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Fraussie

Fraussie Senior Member

Thank you - I guess what I was concerned about is that perpaps the collar would not fit as well around my next as if it were attached by hand. Really hate collar gaps on jackets.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018 at 4:29 AM

2. ericjens7

ericjens7 Well-Known Member

This can be the case with a collar that is machined rather than hand placed. When attaching a collar by hand the maker has control over where the fullness is applied. This is important as it “snugs” the collar up to the neck. A machine does not provide the operator to have said control.

3. reidd

reidd Senior Member

4. reidd

reidd Senior Member

I would say that if collar gap is a real pet peeve of yours, I would not skimp out on a hand attached collar.

5. Texasmade

Texasmade Distinguished Member

Or know the difference...

6. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Distinguished Member

I get collar gapage from collars padded by hand and collars that are machine padded stay glued to my neck :(.

7. ericjens7

ericjens7 Well-Known Member

It’s not the hand padding that ensures the lack of a gap. In fact it has little to do with it. I was talking about when the collar is attached to the coat itself. There are reasons beyond the hand padding and the putting on of the collar that can attribute to a gap. Mostly regarding the cut of the coat in relation to your shoulders.

8. driving glove

driving glove Well-Known Member

9. driving glove

driving glove Well-Known Member

Last post in error! Simply meant to second the comment regarding lack of collar gap in a well-fitting coat. Had this positive experience recently when had final fitting of my first odd jacket with Chris Despos. He is every bit as good as I was led to believe, and a delightful man in addition.

10. SuMisura_YEG

SuMisura_YEG New Member

MVIMG_20181112_211615.jpg IMG_20181112_211633.jpg IMG_20181112_211715.jpg
    Hi All,

New bespoke suit I am working on.
    We will be bringing in the shoulders 0.5" & removing an additional 0.5" of excess fabric from the front chest area on each side.

Let me know your thoughts.

Regards,
    Akith

11. jdp234

jdp234 Senior Member

12. SuMisura_YEG

SuMisura_YEG New Member

Is that good or bad LOL

13. lordsuperb

It's a bad thing as in it won't be comfortable to wear. You'll have to be on your best behavior weight wise because if you gain even a little weight the suit wont fit right.

The back/waist is too tight and needs to be let out. You will get maybe one to two season's of wear out of this suit.

14. jdp234

jdp234 Senior Member

Depends on whether the buyer wants to look like a sausage or not, I suppose.

Looking at those pictures, "make the torso tighter" would not be my first thought.

15. lordsuperb

:bored: I'd leave the shoulders and chest alone. You'll lose the athletic V-shape.