1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ongoing Bespoke Projects

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sander, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Fishball

Fishball Distinguished Member

I'm glad you like my fabric:fistbump:

2. taxgenius

taxgenius Distinguished Member

MTM or bespoke?

3. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Distinguished Member

Some great experience posted above. To reiterate, based on my experiences, nothing is more frustrating than returning to a bespoke tailor to get them to fix a serious flaw and not having it fixed, knowing that every time you put on that garment you will remember the frustration and see the flaw.

Also, bespoke is not a magic be all, I have mtm pieces that fit much better than some bespoke I have.

4. Newcomer

Newcomer Distinguished Member

5. EFV

EFV Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

My finished green corduroy jacket. Trousers and waistcoat are not bespoke, but made from same bolt. Will post better picture later on. This one´s from Beams:

tumblr_p2coo6oj3d1rclynjo1_500.jpg

Edit. Another pic, by Pontus Jonsen:

IMG_6494.jpg

As you can see there´s quite a bit of chest drape and widely cut over arms and a high oval shaped armhole, which makes for an incredibly moveable garment, also, I think it jams pretty well with the casual nature of the suit in general.

In the works is also a new suit from Sartoria Caracciolo, more on that later.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018 at 10:36 AM

6. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Distinguished Member

The do make some nice pants.

7. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Distinguished Member

1. I've had good results with their MTM. The first suit I got was close. I made some adjustments. Those got carried to the second suit. At some point they offered a 3-roll-2 option and wider lapels, so I opted for those but the fit remained consistent. I've had a few minor things like sleeve rotation being off and cuffs being shorter than I want, but otherwise it's been pretty consistent and good for me. It obviously hasn't worked out for everyone, but I think it's a good value for a full canvass, well made suit that includes fittings and adjustments by a bespoke tailor.

2. I can't personally compare to other MTM makers like KW. Of those that I've seen online, I like the look of Steed's MTM better. I feel like it has a distinct point of view whereas the others seem a bit generic to me. But that's wholly subjective and not intended as a knock on the others.

3. The MTM seems to me to reflect an effort by Steed to imbue it with some of their house style, including drape. Now that I can compare, the bespoke is softer, whereas the MTM is more structured in the shoulders and uses a stiffer canvass in the chest. But the appearance of the MTM seems like a cousin to their bespoke to me. Here's a comparison photo.

0A5B59CD-7BF4-4A5B-850F-446709B54FBC.jpeg

Regarding the timing, I believe that a MTM suit takes about eight weeks, so you should have it by their next visit (assuming you're in one of the places that they come to multiple times per year). As others have noted, if it needs changes, the timing is a little variable, but I've generally had it back before their next visit. So, maybe six months, maybe a little longer. But if you can get things nailed down, it's just eight weeks to get a finished suit.

Yeah, that was one of the things that I thought might need a tweak. Seems like, if it's anything, it's sleeve rotation. But as Murl pointed out, it might go away on it's own. I'll see them in a couple weeks but will probably wear the suit for the rest of winter and then hand it over for any changes.

Yep.

8. OscarO

OscarO Well-Known Member

Do you have any from Bauer or do you always go more towards Italian tailoring?

9. EFV

EFV Distinguished Member Dubiously Honored

I don't have anything from them yet, but that has mainly been because of their price point.

I recently became co-owner of Sweden's oldest bespoke tailoring house Götrich though, so I imagine I'll have a suit or two made for myself there.