1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Uni/form LA. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, UNI/FORM LA, a brand focused on improving the clothing you wear everyday. Their elevated essentials are handmade in LA and built for daily wear. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.

Ongoing Bespoke Projects

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sander, Jul 15, 2014.

1. aristoi bcn

aristoi bcn Senior Member

I'd use grey corozo but that's because that's the choice of the italian tailors I use.

2. Dannefalk

Dannefalk Senior Member

You bet! I have a guards coat in a Dugdale fabric of the same weight and it's perfect for Swedish winter! The jacket is at 610 grams so at least I won't freeze... :fistbump:

3. dan'l

dan'l Senior Member

Most of my overcoats are in the 650 gram range and the double-breasted pieces are so heavy I wonder at times about my coat rack! But yeah, heavy fabrics for outerwear is just great.

I choose the Fox Military Issue Navy for my next project. It's nearly a kilo, but it will be for a casual coat. I thought it might be too heavy, but then again it's like wearing a sport coat with a heavy overcoat.

4. dan'l

dan'l Senior Member

Regarding the buttons choices, I suppose darker buttons will make the suit look more formal. Even if you get the brown horn buttons for the suit coat, I'd personally opt for gray for the trousers.

5. P-K-L

P-K-L Distinguished Member

+1 on grey

6. Newcomer

Newcomer Distinguished Member

I really like the fabric :). Said it once, saying it again.

7. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Distinguished Member

Need moar lapel.

8. Dannefalk

Dannefalk Senior Member

And more lapel it shall recieve!

9. blueberry7

blueberry7 Member

Yesterday, I commissioned my first bespoke suit with a local tailor here in Vienna, Austria: SB, flap pockets, 3 roll 2, wide-ish notch lapels, pants with cuffs and one forward pleat, to be worn with braces.
    The cloth is from Bateman Ogden's Westminster II book, no. 972. IMG_20180115_105740674.jpg
    Wish me luck

10. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Distinguished Member

Completed Steed suit. Needs a couple of tweaks, but I think it came out pretty well!

[​IMG]

11. jdp234

jdp234 Senior Member

Outstanding.

On the subject of Steed. Has anyone used them for lighter/spring summer pieces? I have an appointment next week but I’m realizing I just haven’t seen that much by way of lighter weight pieces, more tweedy flannely.

Given my local climate i have relatively little need for f/w pieces and I’m curious if anyone has thoughts on their work with lighter materials.

Also if anyone has used their MTM service I’d love thoughts.

12. Mr. Six

Mr. Six Distinguished Member

Thanks! Matthew has used the MTM service for some lightweight projects. If you're thinking about both MTM and lightweight, then he should have some insight. All of my other stuff from Steed is MTM. Let me know if there's anything I can answer for you.

13. jdp234

jdp234 Senior Member

1) Have you been pretty happy with the MTM results? Do you perceive it as a good value proposition?

2) Any comparative views on Steed mtm vs other “SF preferred” mtm services like Kent Wang?

3) To what extent do your MTM pieces reflect the Steed house style? Full draped chest etc.

I’m also deciding between Steed generally (MTM or maybe bespoke) and a very reputable local bespoke maker—Nick Lopez—who runs around 3k to start off with. However it is hard to find pictures of his work on people who aren’t middle aged politicians and oil barons and the like (with the styling preferences and gut that that entails). Someone who did *not* have the build of a Texas politician posted something by him here a few months ago and the basic shaping and execution was very good but I strongly disliked the styling (narrow lapels, weird button stance).

The inconvenience factor with Steed weighs pretty heavily if I’m being honest. Only 3x/year, for usually one weekday only, is kinda rough given my schedule.

14. Fishball

Fishball Distinguished Member

It look great!