1. Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Uni/form LA. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, UNI/FORM LA, a brand focused on improving the clothing you wear everyday. Their elevated essentials are handmade in LA and built for daily wear. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.

Ongoing Bespoke Projects

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Sander, Jul 15, 2014.

1. usctrojans31

usctrojans31 Distinguished Member

Has anyone here worked with Biagio Granata?

2. Newcomer

Newcomer Distinguished Member

Alright, now that my tuxedo is finished, starting to contemplate the next order(s).

Going forward, I have decided on a "two at a time over two years" system. To the extent that I do not live in Chicago - or anywhere near to Chicago - I think this is pretty much a necessity.

Thus far, I have ordered a grey sharkskin suit, a rusty-brown barleycorn jacket, and a midnight tuxedo. Thinking about a suit and a jacket for my next orders: (1) the suit, I am thinking about a navy pinstripe or pin dot stripe, something extremely conservative and court-y; and (2) the jacket, I am thinking either the ubiquitous W. Bill blue phoenix or a slightly less-than-navy hopsack.

3. bdavro23

bdavro23 Distinguished Member

Love the Phoenix idea and lots of good options in that book.

As for the suit, I would probably do a blue, tone on tone glen plaid like https://www.harrisonsofedinburgh.com/collections/h-lesser-sons/no-311-11-12ozs swatch 30994. While I have a few striped suits, I didnt get them until I had 8 or 10 other suits and tend to wear them pretty infrequently. My go to after solids are blues and greys in plaids like the link above. For some reason, stripes seem to really stand out to me and I always feel like I notice when Jeff down the hall wears his pinstripe suit. Maybe I just need medication...

With all that being said, if you want a pinstripe only one thing scratches that itch. Have fun with the next one!

4. Newcomer

You are probably correct re pinstripes. I similarly like the idea, but have struggled with the execution (again, seem to stand out on me).

The obvious fallback for the suit is a navy birdseye - I am somewhat interested in something with a pattern though, the tonal glenplaid is something I might look into more.

5. Patrick R

Patrick R Distinguished Member

I wore (subtle) stripes in the 90s and 00s. I then moved to birdseyes and tonal patterns. After a period of almost pure solids, I now have a glen plaid and a houndstooth suit. If you asked me today, I would only add more solids and really subtle patterns. Our climates are dissimilar, so our preferences will diverge, but I could see adding several flannel suirabto my collection.

6. Newcomer

In short, I would say that I am looking for a subtle pattern (except for a micro herringbone, I have an irrational disdain for micro herringbone). If I lived in Chicago, I would love a flannel suit. However, a flannel suit in my climate just doesn't work.

Unfortunately, I find that warm(er) weather business solids are a tad boring. Thus the subtle pattern. I do love me some birdseye, so maybe I should chase down that. However, I do feel like bespoke is a great place for patterns.

7. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Distinguished Member

Navy pin dot and grey Birdseye

8. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Distinguished Member

Given your climate, Chris did a suit for me in a 8.5-9oz Ariston navy blue with a very subtle but interesting texture, a pseudo birdseye, but not as strong as birdseye. Not a great description, but worth a look and chris seems to like the fabric

9. 9thsymph

9thsymph Senior Member

I get tweed jackets from Steed, which I very much like. I haven't had hacking pockets made up on mine, but I know that a hacking jacket is an easy/standard request to fulfill.

10. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Distinguished Member

This should be ready for me by Pitti:
    1CA7A8EA-F7E5-42A7-9EF1-4E2C00E46200.jpeg

11. OscarO

OscarO Senior Member

12. Newcomer

That is a pretty fabric, UC.

13. Dannefalk

Dannefalk Senior Member

First fitting with Robin for a jacket and a coat from BnTailor:

Jacket is Molloy & Sons Herringbone Donegal and coat is Fox's British Warm.

Fitting1.JPG

Fitting2.JPG

14. Fraussie

Fraussie Well-Known Member

Cross-posting from the Unfunded Liabilities thread. I've commissioned a new suit in Harrisons' SpringRam. SB, patch pockets, lightly structured shoulder, barchetta, 3 roll 2, wide lapels, pants with cuffs and one pleat.

Need your views on button choice please (see photo)!

EC0FB7E2-739C-44E4-A05D-45054BBE2EF5.jpeg

890F070D-0CB9-4DE1-A163-C68B813523E0.jpeg

15. dan'l

dan'l Senior Member

Wow, at 850 grams I bet that British Warm coat will be toasty!