• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Final piece is on its way...

FullSizeRenderVest1.jpg

FullSizeRenderVest2.jpg

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Gentlemen, My jacket second try on in L.H. Bespoke. I hope you like it. Sorry but the pictures doesn’t show properly the colors of the fabric, not very good light there.

21813f46d58bff6bda63b17904f6d8dd.jpg

506515a04ed87ffc6640c244b1e6ab20.jpg

0342f9a6b4c1e73192bbf8e9637cf6a1.jpg

fcd4e8f47ca778d588ca25c1c29e6bcb.jpg

How old is your tailor? I want to give him a go when I go back to Spain.

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheers!

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Skirt Flare vs Cupped...... know the difference when choosing a tailor :(.

Skirt Flare

View attachment 889550

View attachment 889552

vs.

Cupped

View attachment 889554

I will check later. I suspect it’s cupped. But I will check. Photos indicated flared. But it might be a function of my natural body which is broader in the chest, narrower in the waist and broader in the hips. But I’ll check for sure later.

I’ve worked with Will on alterations since I moved to DC in 2014 (3.5 years ago). However, I do enjoy trying different tailors. I prefer Italians for my sportscoats, as opposed to british for suits, as a general rule. For altering off the peg, he’s the go to & by far the best in DC. For Bespoke, I plan to work with him in the future, along with others.

Last edited:

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will check later. I suspect it’s cupped. But I will check. Photos indicated flared. But it might be a function of my natural body which is broader in the chest, narrower in the waist and broader in the hips. But I’ll check for sure later.

I’ve worked with Will on alterations since I moved to DC in 2014 (3.5 years ago). However, I do enjoy trying different tailors. I prefer Italians for my sportscoats, as opposed to british for suits, as a general rule. For altering off the peg, he’s the go to & by far the best in DC. For Bespoke, I plan to work with him in the future, along with others.

Flared is his default.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Flared is his default.
Then it’s flared. I just asked him for straight house style. I haven’t had a chance to check. But photos appear flared. I’m not sure which is better.

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What was their argument (other than 22% profit)?
VAT or IVA as it’s called in Italy is required by law to be included in the quoted price of any merchandise or service. If you pay with a credit card you will get a fiscale which is the official tax receipt, and the VAT will be paid to the state. If you hold a non-EU passport (and have it with you in the store) you can ask the merchant if they participate in a VAT refund program; they are not obligated but most higher end merchants do.

If you pay in Italy and other EU countries with cash, some smaller merchants may quote you a cheaper price, theoretically based on the fact that they are avoiding card transaction fees—with the proviso that there will be no VAT refund either. Rarely will they come out and say they aren’t forwarding the VAT—that would be admitting a serious crime to you, a stranger who could well be a tax inspector—but it’s possible you won’t get a fiscale, so go figure. If the price seems reasonable, to me that falls under the category of Whatever.

Finally, if you buy something in Italy and have it shipped to a non-EU country, there is absolutely no VAT, and any merchant who claims he can’t deal with that is ripping you off.[/QUOTE]

malabar

Reaction score
Has anyone have experience commissioning a bespoke tweed 3-button hacking jacket from a UK or European tailor that visits the US? What was your experience and how did the jacket turn out?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads