1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

OneTrouser

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Dec 13, 2010.

1. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Nobody notices. Anyway, I wouldn't really care if they did.

2. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke Senior member

I agree -- I rotated 2 pairs of trousers (mid grey and charcoal) for a year and no one said a word.

3. Strange

Strange Well-Known Member

Madame Paulette shrunk two pairs of my Ambrosi/Woodhouse pants so I need new odd trousers. Woodhouse and its whipcord are no more. So, I have a new OneTrouser planned. Five pairs. Same cloth, same color. That is all.

This is actually a great idea.

4. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

I agree -- I rotated 2 pairs of trousers (mid grey and charcoal) for a year and no one said a word.

They might not have said anything, perhaps because of manners, but people do notice. I know I would be thinking what a smelly tramp someone must be, to say nothing of boring, if they appear to be wearing the same pair of strides every day for months at a time. I had a schoolmteacher who had two black DB suits, one with white pin stripes and one with red, and that was all anyone ever saw him wear for decades. He rode a bike to school every day too, in rain, snow, slush, heat, smog ... Tramp!

5. srivats

srivats Senior member

How did you choose on one particular shade of grey? Wouldn't it make more sense to get trousers made in a few shades of grey, spanning from light to dark, without going to the extremes of charcoal or very light grey? They'd still be all grey, but it would be a subtle variety in your clothes that fits well with your philosophy.

6. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

I feel that [​IMG] is trending toward the OnePost.

7. maomao1980

maomao1980 Senior member Dubiously Honored

That would be detrimental to SF traffic, would not recommend.

8. FidelCashflow

FidelCashflow Senior member

Funnily enough, I got one pair of gray twill trousers I really like and I was thinking of wearing them a 3rd day in a row which would be unprecedented for me. I doubt 99% of people in the workplace would notice if you wore a pair of grey pants for even an entire week as long as you kept changing your shirt/jacket.

9. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have already pioneered this concept. Case in point:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

11. sellahi22

sellahi22 Senior member

They might not have said anything, perhaps because of manners, but people do notice. I know I would be thinking what a smelly tramp someone must be, to say nothing of boring, if they appear to be wearing the same pair of strides every day for months at a time. I had a schoolmteacher who had two black DB suits, one with white pin stripes and one with red, and that was all anyone ever saw him wear for decades. He rode a bike to school every day too, in rain, snow, slush, heat, smog ... Tramp!

Are you seriously comparing the conspicuousness of black striped double breasted suits with mid grey odd trousers?

12. mafoofan

How did you choose on one particular shade of grey? Wouldn't it make more sense to get trousers made in a few shades of grey, spanning from light to dark, without going to the extremes of charcoal or very light grey? They'd still be all grey, but it would be a subtle variety in your clothes that fits well with your philosophy.

You guys put too much thought into precise shades of things. To my mind, there is light grey, mid grey, and dark grey (charcoal, if you like). Within each category, the cloth's other characteristics are what matter to me.

13. eg1

eg1 Senior member

I agree. My "office pants" are all mid-grey or charcoal except for one mini-check and one british tan. I doubt anybody pays any mind.

14. radicaldog

radicaldog Senior member

I'm going to say a mid-grey Italian worsted flannel for winter, and tan linen for summer.

My tailor recently suggested that I try grey trousers in a kind of covert coat material -- I'm somewhat tempted. But I may just go with another cavalry twill. Tan is my mid-grey though (dark in winter, light in summer).

15. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

Well, maybe you have a different situation than I do. I am "the clothes guy" in the office, so people take note of what I wear. A co-worker did once notice that I had worn a pair of pants twice in a week.

Mike

16. Redwoood

Redwoood Senior member

Let's not forget Foo is 'one of the best-dressed men in America' as voted by Esquire magazine.
    There are probably blogs dedicated to what he likes to wear [​IMG]

17. Mark Seitelman

Mark Seitelman Senior member

Why did the pants shrink?

Fault of the cloth? Or did the cleaner wash them by mistake?

18. Diavolo

Diavolo Senior member

I think I almost have a OneWardrobe.

I have a OneTrouser for winter which is a grey wool/cashmere flannel (two shades, charcoal and dark grey but no-one notices) and a OneTrouser for summer, which is bone cotton.
    These go with all the sportcoats I have. I've tried other colours but have never been happy so now I'm satisfied. I have about six pairs of both.
    I have almost a OneShirt - light blue either solid or blue and white stripes in various thicknesses.
    I think I have a OneTie too - solids or miniscule patterns in navy mainly, an olive, brown and deep purple and some grey cashmeres.
    OneSuit? Getting there. Winter is navy and grey flannel. Summer is airforce blue and light grey lightweight wool.
    OneSportcoat? More variation. Winter is navy, two grey and one brown. Summer is cotton and linen in navy, denim blue and lighter brown.
    OneShoe? No, but nothing beyond brown or black captoes or loafers. Desert boots for summer casual.
    I don't think any of this will come as a surprise to anyone.

19. landshark

landshark Senior member

I think I almost have a OneWardrobe.

I have a OneTrouser for winter which is a grey wool/cashmere flannel (two shades, charcoal and dark grey but no-one notices) and a OneTrouser for summer, which is bone cotton.
    These go with all the sportcoats I have. I've tried other colours but have never been happy so now I'm satisfied. I have about six pairs of both.
    I have almost a OneShirt - light blue either solid or blue and white stripes in various thicknesses.
    I think I have a OneTie too - solids or miniscule patterns in navy mainly, an olive, brown and deep purple and some grey cashmeres.
    OneSuit? Getting there. Winter is navy and grey flannel. Summer is airforce blue and light grey lightweight wool.
    OneSportcoat? More variation. Winter is navy, two grey and one brown. Summer is cotton and linen in navy, denim blue and lighter brown.
    OneShoe? No, but nothing beyond brown or black captoes or loafers. Desert boots for summer casual.
    I don't think any of this will come as a surprise to anyone.

Almost none of this can be considered oneanything You have 4 sport coats for winter? How can it be a onesportcoat? HOw can you have a onetie if there are solids and patterns in various colors? That all sounds like a regular wardrobe to me.

20. mafoofan

But it's in the OneSpirit. The point is to get away from collecting clothes and get closer to thinking about clothes that you look good in and feel comfortable with. When it comes down to it, the OneShoe isn't an absolute OneShoe--it's really the concept and approach behind it that distinguishes.