• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OneTrouser

Bull

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose that I am in the minority in thinking that letting these trousers go to waste is a tragedy. To the extent your trousermaker has identical or similar fabric in stock, and given that the trousers are pleated (which means there is probably already room to spare in the crotch area), really all that needs to be done is to add half an inch of fabric to the waist seam, which will look a bit out of place, but which will - in any event - be mostly covered by a belt. I have seen trousers where a wedge of fabric was sewn all the way *********** seam (probably using the wrong term here, and I'm expecting a snarky correction, so have at it) and, while it looks a bit off, any tailor can do it, and the vast majority of people will barely notice. On the other hand, if this is a scheme to replace trousers you were already iffy about with trousers you really like, then why not.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bull
I suppose that I am in the minority in thinking that letting these trousers go to waste is a tragedy. To the extent your trousermaker has identical or similar fabric in stock, and given that the trousers are pleated (which means there is probably already room to spare in the crotch area), really all that needs to be done is to add half an inch of fabric to the waist seam, which will look a bit out of place, but which will - in any event - be mostly covered by a belt. I have seen trousers where a wedge of fabric was sewn all the way *********** seam (probably using the wrong term here, and I'm expecting a snarky correction, so have at it) and, while it looks a bit off, any tailor can do it, and the vast majority of people will barely notice. On the other hand, if this is a scheme to replace trousers you were already iffy about with trousers you really like, then why not.

If he's receiving restitution for the ruined pants, he may not have that option. Last year I had a dry cleaner cut me a check for 8 ruined shirts. The damage was relatively minor (small holes in the sleeves). They paid me about 75% of the replacement cost, but insisted that they keep the shirts. I could have patched the holes and still worn them with sweaters, but I thought it was fair that if they were compensating me on a replacement basis, I would surrender the damaged shirts to them.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC (Houston)
If he's receiving restitution for the ruined pants, he may not have that option. Last year I had a dry cleaner cut me a check for 8 ruined shirts. The damage was relatively minor (small holes in the sleeves). They paid me about 75% of the replacement cost, but insisted that they keep the shirts. I could have patched the holes and still worn them with sweaters, but I thought it was fair that if they were compensating me on a replacement basis, I would surrender the damaged shirts to them.

They kept the shirts to make voodoo dolls of you.

Keep this in mind if you feel any sudden pain that is hard to explain.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
TC probably walks around with a tub of Ben Gay/Icy Hot anyway, so he's covered.

I hope that TC tells that corn nut story, where he's eating corn nuts during a staff meeting.

He palms a mouthful, emptying thme into his mouth while a subordinate points one of those laser thingys at the projection screen, when [crack!] TC spits out a broken tooth in front of his staff.

When an astonished junior attorney yells out, "Oh my god, Mr. TC, doesn't that hurt?" TC deftly reaches into his mouth, yanks out his dentures, places them on the table, and responds calmly with a lisp, "Nope," and then drinks his Dr. Pepper (left open earlier that morning at room temperature by TC's secretary so all the fizz is gone, the way he likes it the most.)

I think that I have that right. Corrections welcome.

banis

Reaction score
Saw cloth that you have selected for your 'project'. I was told about that after I chose one of the same fabrics as you did. So, I approve your choice of cloth, or tissue, as would say Salvatore.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by banis
Saw cloth that you have selected for your 'project'. I was told about that after I chose one of the same fabrics as you did. So, I approve your choice of cloth, or tissue, as would say Salvatore.

Really? I don't even know how that's possible. I don't think he carries cloth from the merchant I used.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by F. Corbera
They kept the shirts to make voodoo dolls of you.

Keep this in mind if you feel any sudden pain that is hard to explain.

But be careful, it could be testicular torsion.

TC (Houston)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by F. Corbera
I hope that TC tells that corn nut story, where he's eating corn nuts during a staff meeting.

He palms a mouthful, emptying thme into his mouth while a subordinate points one of those laser thingys at the projection screen, when [crack!] TC spits out a broken tooth in front of his staff.

When an astonished junior attorney yells out, "Oh my god, Mr. TC, doesn't that hurt?" TC deftly reaches into his mouth, yanks out his dentures, places them on the table, and responds calmly with a lisp, "Nope," and then drinks his Tab (left open earlier that morning at room temperature by TC's secretary so all the fizz is gone, the way he likes it the most.)

I think that I have that right. Corrections welcome.

Fixed.

banis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Really? I don't even know how that's possible. I don't think he carries cloth from the merchant I used.
I was choosing fabric and after I picked up one in the mid-gray color in 440 gms, we had some conversation. He told me that fabric that I have chosen ordered or is planning to order his very good friend Matt from the States in numerous amounts. That how it was. I know that fabric is made in England. I don't remember him saying what mill it is from. Salvatore is a nice guy, btw. I am having a fitting with him this Saturday.

cold war painter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Not enough people cared about my wife's Genovese so I lost the spirit.

Fair enough, but have you actually seen what your sig links to?

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Getting back to the shrunken pants: perhaps
foo.gif
can donate them to Cruz over at FNB.edu. The pants would have to be shortened further, but most good tailors are able to do this at reasonable cost. Just an idle thought since I am momentarily imbued with the spirit of Christmas.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads