• We would like to welcome Exquisite Trimmings as an official Affiliate Vendor. Exquisite Trimmings is a UK based purveyor of the very best in clothing and accessories, from gloves by Thomas Reimer to leather portfolios from Il Micio, to watch rolls by Rapport London. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

One's only / ideal DB suit

Sanddog

Reaction score
Along the lines of this recently exhumed thread, and this fresher one...

My field (investment management) has gone business casual, and in any case disdains individuality (below $5MM / year, anyway...), so a DB suit is way too rakish to get away with at the office. However, I like the look, and would like to own at least one. I thought about charcoal pinstripe, but that seems awfully business for a suit that will only be worn to evening social events. What are the classic DB fabrics / colors / patterns? If you were only going to own one, for wear outside the office, what would it be?

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Solid navy.

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Solid navy or mid gray flannel. After that, various chalk stripes.

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I only have one DB suit in a bird's eye fabric that looks charcoal gray from a distance but is actually black with white points. Many compliments received.

The DBs in the above photo look good. The button stance on the guy in the center, however, looks too low and makes him look even shorter. I prefer the one on the right.

Twotone

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
Solid navy.
+ a gazillion. There's actually no alternative, especially for formal social occasions.
Originally Posted by edmorel
Since you mentioned that it is for evening social occasions, I would get something solid, but would stay away from boring worsted wool. I would get a fabric like the guy in the middle, but make it 6x4 and use some brown buttons:
/thread.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Since you mentioned that it is for evening social occasions, I would get something solid, but would stay away from boring worsted wool. I would get a fabric like the guy in the middle, but make it 6x2 and use some brown buttons:

That looks like Mohair. Mmmm, not keen on the Idea of Mohair for DB.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
That looks like Mohair. Mmmm, not keen on the Idea of Mohair for DB.

Agree with you on that one...

This suit is just awful...

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanddog
Along the lines of this recently exhumed thread, and this fresher one... My field (investment management) has gone business casual, and in any case disdains individuality (below $5MM / year, anyway...), so a DB suit is way too rakish to get away with at the office. However, I like the look, and would like to own at least one. I thought about charcoal pinstripe, but that seems awfully business for a suit that will only be worn to evening social events. What are the classic DB fabrics / colors / patterns? If you were only going to own one, for wear outside the office, what would it be?
What do you mean by social events?

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Agree with you on that one... This suit is just awful...
I don't mind the cloth, even though I appreciate that it's too flashy for some. There's something about the idea of using Mohair for a DB that doesn't 'feel' right to me, a bit like using Tweed for a DB. Mohair works best with a very minimalist cut IMO.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by George
I don't mind the cloth, even though I appreciate that it's too flashy for some. There's something about the idea of using Mohair for a DB that doesn't 'feel' right to me, a bit like using Tweed for a DB.

Mohair works best with a very minimalist cut IMO.

Mohair in my mind is linked to the Mods or a minimalist single-breasted tailored suit...

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
Mohair in my mind is linked to the Mods or a minimalist single-breasted tailored suit...
I'd be interested in knowing what the OP means by 'social events', which to my mind covers a range from nightclubbing to going to the theatre. Personally, I wouldn't wear a DB if I were out clubbing.

Manton

RINO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I always wear a navy DB to dinner parties in Manhattan and to non-black tie formal events. In the sticks, I tend to wear SB.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.