• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One Year SF Anniversary Post

hobscrk777

Reaction score
This is actually about a week late, but it's better late than never. In one year I've done a lot of reading (here and on numerous blogs) and I think I've come a long way.

My first post was soliciting brown shoe recommendations, and I thankfully got talked out of a ****** pair and went from this

12781-t.jpg

to this

L1nlo.jpg
hQg48.jpg
SwNLs.jpg
ySJhH.jpg

The four pairs of shoes above have definitely been my biggest purchases. My others have been more modest - I've upgraded my chinos, my jeans, and my shirts for ones that don't blouse like a sail. I've also started a modest collection of argyle socks and picked up some quality wool sweaters.

In the category of "things you cannot un-see", I notice things all around me that make me go
ffffuuuu.gif
, things that I never would have noticed over a year ago.
  • It seems like 90% of people wear running shoes...anywhere...anytime...
  • 9 of the remaining 10% of the remaining people wear wear clunky rubber-soled monstrosities
  • Most people wear shirts with shoulder seams halfway down their biceps

In the next year I'd like to put more of the tips and styles I've read about into practice and move up to the next level. I don't wear a suit very often, and the one I have is several years old from before I knew jack **** about clothing. I think I'd like to plonk down the money for a couple quality ones from Brooks Brothers in the near future so that, on the rare occasions when I do have to wear one, I feel like a million bucks. For slightly more casual attire, I recently bought a navy blazer (it's currently being altered), but I'd like to get a few sport coats, particularly a gray one and a tweed gun-club check. I'd also like to get a few more pairs of shoes - a shell cordovan PTB (Alden) and a suede semi-brogue (C&J) in particular.

There are a lot of people on this forum who are sartorial masters (the usual suspects in the WAYWT thread), and I genuinely enjoy seeing the new posts in that thread every day. To anyone reading this who's given me constructive criticism and/or advice over the last year, it's greatly appreciated, and I hope you continue to offer it in the future!

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really dig this post for three reasons:

1. It's always nice to hear someone expressing gratitude.
2. It's great to see someone making progress and feeling good about himself.
3. It's inspiring to think that I, too, may one day feel like I'm getting the hang of this ****.

Happy anniversary, hobscrk77.

perk252

Reaction score
Well said hobscrk777! I only discovered styleforum two or three months ago, and my knowledge has increased exponentially in that time due to all the fantastic advice on here. It's just a shame I didn't stumble across this place years ago!
Although if I had discovered it years ago, I might never have managed to buy an apartment...

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
For more ***** and giggles, please visit my "What was your first post?" thread.
If I didn't know better, Spoo, I'd suspect that you are positioning yourself for an SF takeover. It's starting to feel a bit like we're under new management already.

I mean that in the kindest way, of course.
worship.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads