1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

One week trip to Japan

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by nahneun, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Cordwinder

Cordwinder Senior member

Okay cool. Would like to catch some baseball and sumo wrestling as well. Based on skimming this thread it's my understanding that May is a good time for both events. Can we buy tickets online?

I haven't checked but perhaps ticket pia can arrange tickets to both sumo and baseball games. The site looks like it doesn't have an English translation though.

2. IBJanky

IBJanky Senior member

Subscribing to this thread.

I'll be in Japan for 8 days for the first part of April this year. Hopefully just in time for the cherry blossom festival.

myke

3. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

Both are good if you like some very creative (i.e. less traditional) cuisine - although making a reservation is going to be tough...

If you want to try French, I'd stick with L'Osier.
    For Japanese, it really depends on the type of food you want to try but here are my favourites:
    Tempura: Rakutei in Akasaka
    Sushi: Sushisho in Yotsuya and Kyubei in general is very used to dealing with non Japanese customers
    Kaiseki: Kojyu is good for its price; Kyoaji is the best if you can justify the bill (+JPY40,000) and you know someone who can take you there as they do not take reservations from the first timers

Thanks for the suggestions! Kyoaji won't be possible since I don't know anyone in Japan.

4. hboogz

hboogz Senior member

A just released a special flight deal from NYC to Haneda for $686 all taxes included! FUCK! Travel dates from March to the end of April....Double Fuck!!

5. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

So I want to stay at a really nice place when I'm in Tokyo. Right now I'm thinking the Mandarin Oriental. Any other place I should consider?

6. wetnose

wetnose Senior member

Subscribing to this thread.

I'll be in Japan for 8 days for the first part of April this year. Hopefully just in time for the cherry blossom festival.

myke

I hope you've booked your accomadation because everything gets very busy. Oh yeah, and make sure you check out lifegear trading post as well - some sweet shoes. They might have a sale while you're there.

7. Alter

Alter Senior member

So I want to stay at a really nice place when I'm in Tokyo. Right now I'm thinking the Mandarin Oriental. Any other place I should consider?

I've heard the Peninsula is excellent but haven't stayed there. The Intercontinental is a nice property but the location isn't great unless you plan to take taxis. Rather far from a train/subway station.

8. Cordwinder

Cordwinder Senior member

9. hboogz

hboogz Senior member

AA just released a special flight deal from NYC to Haneda for $686 all taxes included! FUCK! Travel dates from March to the end of April....Double Fuck!!

Here is the link.

http://goo.gl/FQ6Rq

10. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

^ thanks for the link man, I'm gonna send that to my mother and see if she wants to visit next month, maybe even get my dad away from work for a few days finally.

edit: those are one-way fares, fwiw. Price would be double that plus tax on the lowest traffic days.

11. hboogz

hboogz Senior member

You're welcome. I'm really trying to work between my work schedule and finances to see if this is feasible.

12. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

Anyone have any experience with the Claska Hotel? It's more of a boutique hotel but it looks interesting. How is it location wise?

13. thinksimple

thinksimple Senior member

AA just released a special flight deal from NYC to Haneda for $686 all taxes included! FUCK! Travel dates from March to the end of April....Double Fuck!!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I paid $1200 in December for my ticket to NRT departing in March, thinking I wouldn't get a better deal. For $1600, both the mrs. and I could have left from BUF. I can now only take solace in the fact that the $400 premium bought me a direct flight and a quick jaunt to the airport...

14. hboogz

hboogz Senior member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] I paid $1200 in December for my ticket to NRT departing in March, thinking I wouldn't get a better deal. For $1600, both the mrs. and I could have left from BUF. I can now only take solace in the fact that the $400 premium bought me a direct flight and a quick jaunt to the airport...

This really does put that Orbitz price match in perspective. Although I don't know much about the fine print, it can come in handy.

On a smei related note, Delta has non-stop JFK to barcelona for $311 all in..motherfucker!!

15. blackdice

blackdice Well-Known Member

Anyone have any experience with the Claska Hotel? It's more of a boutique hotel but it looks interesting. How is it location wise?

Claska is very stylish and unique in its own way - has a very nice lounge / restaurant on the ground floor and a nice little shop where they sell design conscious souvenirs and stuff.

The only downside is that it really is in the middle of nowhere. You basically have to take Toyoko linke from Shibuya for some 15 mins, and it's another 15 mins' walk from there.

16. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

I really wouldn't mind staying at the Mandarin Oriental Tokyo. The Peninsula is sure to be good too.

17. Alter

Alter Senior member

18. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

Seiyo Ginza and Imperial have good service and food, but the rooms themselves need upgrading.

I am sure Mandarin and Peninsula are very nice, but for overall convenience I would consider the Ritz or Park Hyatt in Roppongi.

19. blackdice

blackdice Well-Known Member

Seiyo Ginza and Imperial have good service and food, but the rooms themselves need upgrading. I am sure Mandarin and Peninsula are very nice, but for overall convenience I would consider the Ritz or Park Hyatt in Roppongi.
    I agree - Park Hyatt or Ritz is still far better than Peninsula. Peninsula Tokyo is way too small and always crowded with hideous interior design. I personally don't recommend it.

20. Stazy

Stazy Senior member

After doing more research I really want to stay at both the Claska and the Ritz. Maybe I'll split my time between the two.