• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One travel shoe - 10 days, dozens of European City walking miles

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's been a while since I've traveled anywhere that requires footwear other than a boat shoe or flip flop.

Going to Paris, London, Amsterdam in the next few months for about a week and a half with the SO who has never been, so I'll be doing a lot of walking/sightseeing.

I'm trying to pack light, like a weekender duffle size (if even possible, mainly to offset what she is likely to bring), so I'm looking for suggestions for your perfect pair of travelling shoe. Something:
  • Comfortable to wear;
  • That can withstand dozen of city walking miles at once; and
  • That matches well with a "variety" of clothing - dressed up (nice restaurant) and (mostly) down.
Price isn't terribly important though I'd obviously prefer the cheaper the better (sub 200s?). Thanks!

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is an interesting academic exercise given the constraints you've imposed. I'm inclined to agree with a chukka with a rubber or Dianite sole.

One near your price target would be the Herring labeled version of Loake's chukka on the 026 last. I forget what Loake calls it but the Herring labeled version is the "Gosforth II." Available is black, tan peddled grain, and cigar suede for about $248, delivered, at current exchange rates.

I think the Loake version may be available in wider widths but they no longer ship to the US.

You might take a look at the AE Wilbert.

You know, you'd need to double your budget and it likely wouldn't be dressy enough for your purposes but I'd be tempted to suggest some version of the Alden Indy boot. :)

Whatever you get - and I'm 99% sure you know this - make sure you have them well broken in prior to your trip.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would get a sneaker for day and a simple tan leather or suede loafer for night. And as @countdemoney recommends have them well broken in.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Chukkas? Seriously?

Loafers for the win. Something like AE's Randolph model. Those are, perhaps, the only shoes I'd happily wear with anything from denim to a suit. Some fuddy duds don't like loafers with suits, but we need not concern ourselves with the likes of them.

cheessus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is an interesting academic exercise given the constraints you've imposed. I'm inclined to agree with a chukka with a rubber or Dianite sole.

You know, you'd need to double your budget and it likely wouldn't be dressy enough for your purposes but I'd be tempted to suggest some version of the Alden Indy boot. :)

Whatever you get - and I'm 99% sure you know this - make sure you have them well broken in prior to your trip.

Thanks! Definitely trying to get this figured out ASAP to break the shoes in, and yes I am willing to expand the budget if the shoes will last a while :)

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've had loafers that were ideal for travel and extensive walking. I can recall taking loafers along as my daily shoe on several trips where I visited a number of cities and walked everywhere. I've had leather soled loafers that worked well but I am now tending to get more rubber soled versions. Paraboot makes a nice pebble grain loafer with a lighter (but not lightweight) Dianite type full rubber sole that was perfect for a rainy Fall European adventure. But, fit and feel is eveything and you can't rely upon any one brand to deliver on this comfort with every model. It is a case by case basis. Look for one with a comfortable inner sole as well.

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I'm doing any kind of real walking I wear my Sanders & Sanders HiTops. Not the most elegant shoe in the world but the thick slab of soft, gummy crepe sole is so comfortable to walk on.

t141019r05_3.jpg

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am an extensive city walker, and I say you are wrong.

Considering I live in a city without cars...

To be fair I wear loafers an awful lot too, but their versatility quickly disappears if the weather is bad and the OP says he's going to Northern Europe in autumn.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics