• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One step up from jeans?

cmrocks

Reaction score
The other night, my girlfriend and I just went out for dinner and a movie, nothing overly dressy or anything like that. She was wearing a skirt with tights, boots and a nice cardigan sweater. I was just wearing jeans (bootcut ola dry), brown boots and a henley shirt over a tshirt. Compared to her, I felt really under dressed.

It seems like my wardrobe jumps from casual streetwear to my suit that I own. For nice places, I can get away with wearing the suit sans tie but I would never wear something like that for just a movie.

Does anyone have any suggestions for something in between? I would just like to look a bit more dressed up and like I put a bit more effort into what I was wearing.

cmrocks

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'll have to pick up a pair soon.

What do you suggest for footwear?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You could easily have worn a blazer with the jeans and been fine IMO, in corduroy, velvet, or tweed if you don't want one that looks like a suit jacket.

masqueofhastur

Reaction score
A nice pair of cords is a bit dressier than jeans, but still works well for situations where jeans are more appropriate.

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DucatiCole
Thanks guys. I'll have to pick up a pair soon.

What do you suggest for footwear?

Ankle boots. Maybe a blutcher in suede. I am also a big fan of John Varvatos leather shoes, which are dressy yet have a sort of streetwear vibe at the same time.

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what about chinos/khakis? A classic
smile.gif

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
yep, love modern cut chinos/khakis in black, gray, navy and khaki of course

also, if you wear some fresh raw jeans with dope shoes and a blazer what more could you ask for?

Cambion

Reaction score
If I'm going out for say dinner and a movie, wanting to look smart, but not overly dressy, I prefer to dress up jeans rather before switching the jeans out for wool trousers or the like. Rather than sneakers and a t-shirt, I'll wear leather Campers, a slim fitting buttondown and a cotton blazer. Feels both hip and smart.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cords are the answer. Plus, according to the Mooninites, they mean you're a dope man.

cmrocks

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I really just need to pick up a pair of boots or nicer shoes. I have a nice cord blazer that I'll start wearing more often.

I'm also considering wearing my suit jacket and pants seperately. The suit is a dark grey, 2 button, Z Zegna suit. I figure I could wear the jacket with my raw denim jeans and wear the pants with a sweater. I've heard that can cause the pieces to wear at different rates but would that really be noticable assuming I wear both parts seperately on occasion?

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cambion
If I'm going out for say dinner and a movie, wanting to look smart, but not overly dressy, I prefer to dress up jeans rather before switching the jeans out for wool trousers or the like.
+1 What you wear with dark jeans can bring the formality awfully high up before you have to switch to trousers. (Think: tuxedo jacket + white dress shirt.) As for wearing the suit jacket as an odd jacket, that is controversal choice that has been discussed here before. You could check out the archives, or just try it and do it if you like it.
smile.gif

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DucatiCole
Thanks for the replies. I really just need to pick up a pair of boots or nicer shoes. I have a nice cord blazer that I'll start wearing more often.

I'm also considering wearing my suit jacket and pants seperately. The suit is a dark grey, 2 button, Z Zegna suit. I figure I could wear the jacket with my raw denim jeans and wear the pants with a sweater. I've heard that can cause the pieces to wear at different rates but would that really be noticable assuming I wear both parts seperately on occasion?

That's fine. I wouldn't worry about wear, and the Z Zegna jacket should be just fine with jeans.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
White button down with point collar, red and great tie and a kilt. Works in any situation and it will get you laid in a heartbeat.

Oh yeah, and make sure the shoes have buckles.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads