• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"one-size-fits-all" suit

d.h.

Reaction score
OK, I need to buy a suit. I haven't worn one in years (I'm now 31).

I want no more than one--of decent quality of course--since I won't use it that often. It'll mainly be for weddings, dressier dinner/dance events, and the occasional church Sunday (also for a job interview coming up). About ten times a year maximum.

So if you could spend up to $1000, what would you get? Also, what color works for most occasions? Charcoal, perhaps?

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd get something in charcoal, single breasted, two-or-three button. As for brands, I dunno. I've heard lots of people say Canali and Corneliani and the like, even Hickey Freeman. But I'll leave brand suggestions to someone else.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
charcoal sounds best for what you describe. for $1000 i'd hit neiman marcus or saks at sale time, (pre/post christmas, etc...) i saw a great baldessarini for about $900 at saks last year, marked down from $1800.

if you don't want to wait 'til sale time, consider a made-to-measure corneliani, which starts at slightly over a grand.

also check out yoox.com and the guy on ebay who sells a lot of borrelli.

good luck.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
zegna suits may also be in your price range, especially at outlets or discounters, if off-the-rack will fit you. I can wear most designer stuff in a 44R or 46R off the rack w/o almost any tailoring, so that is nice.

Kai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Charcoal or navy Canali at Bluefly.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
true, although they only have 48R in stock right now. Also, I guess you would want to really know your measurements before you order from there. That 25% off bluesale promotion is nice. I bought a canali suit and zegna belt for about $400 shipped before.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics