Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

"one-size-fits-all" suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by d.h., Aug 27, 2004.

1. d.h.

d.h. Well-Known Member

OK, I need to buy a suit. I haven't worn one in years (I'm now 31).

I want no more than one--of decent quality of course--since I won't use it that often. It'll mainly be for weddings, dressier dinner/dance events, and the occasional church Sunday (also for a job interview coming up). About ten times a year maximum.

So if you could spend up to $1000, what would you get? Also, what color works for most occasions? Charcoal, perhaps?

2. Alias

Alias Senior member

I'd get something in charcoal, single breasted, two-or-three button. As for brands, I dunno. I've heard lots of people say Canali and Corneliani and the like, even Hickey Freeman. But I'll leave brand suggestions to someone else.

3. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

charcoal sounds best for what you describe. for $1000 i'd hit neiman marcus or saks at sale time, (pre/post christmas, etc...) i saw a great baldessarini for about $900 at saks last year, marked down from $1800.

if you don't want to wait 'til sale time, consider a made-to-measure corneliani, which starts at slightly over a grand.

also check out yoox.com and the guy on ebay who sells a lot of borrelli.

good luck.

4. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

zegna suits may also be in your price range, especially at outlets or discounters, if off-the-rack will fit you. I can wear most designer stuff in a 44R or 46R off the rack w/o almost any tailoring, so that is nice.

5. Kai

Kai Senior member

Charcoal or navy Canali at Bluefly.

6. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Senior member

true, although they only have 48R in stock right now. Also, I guess you would want to really know your measurements before you order from there. That 25% off bluesale promotion is nice. I bought a canali suit and zegna belt for about $400 shipped before.