1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

One should not wear fahionable jeans over the age of......

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jmatt, Sep 17, 2006.

1. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

Rescues will look great on anyone that doesnt have a fat gut regardless of age.

2. WatchGuy

WatchGuy Senior member

Let me restate: At what age should one no longer buy and wear distressed jeans from Abercrombie?

What about wearing raw denim, with the faded whiskers/never washed look?

For the record, I'm 39, and wear Levi's basic jeans all the time. I don't however, own anything from Abercrombie. I am however, thinking of taking the plunge and buying some APC Rescues.

What do you think? Are the Rescues perfectly acceptable on a 39 year old, or will I look like I'm trying to be 19?

Go for the rescues! They will look great.

And, stay away from Abercrombie (IMO).

3. cultpop 0217

cultpop 0217 Senior member

Let me restate: At what age should one no longer buy and wear distressed jeans from Abercrombie?

For the record, I'm 39, and wear Levi's basic jeans all the time. I don't however, own anything from Abercrombie. I am however, thinking of taking the plunge and buying some APC Rescues.

What do you think? Are the Rescues perfectly acceptable on a 39 year old, or will I look like I'm trying to be 19?

you should never wear jeans from abercrombie.

never

and 39 is not old, man. go for the rescues. they will look great.

4. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

I think you'll find most people here think Abercrombie's stupid on anyone at any age.

5. minimal

minimal Senior member

I'm 40. When I tried on the APC rescues, I was immediately transported by to the 70s, getting a pair of Levis at an army and navy store. I remember those Levis as being so hard that I could walk through brambles without a scratch, and they took forever to break in. Since then every time I've bought jeans (even Levis) I've asked myself why they don't make 'em like they used to. Now, with the rescues, the search is over. What I'm trying to say is it's not about fashion, it's about solid clothing that feels the way they used to.

I'm honestly entertaining the thought of buying a stack so I'll never have to shop for jeans again, ever. (at 40 you can do that, kids!)

6. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Senior member

at about 13 hours.

this is a timeless look... but maybe wash them when they are dirty.

7. Ott

Ott Senior member

I'm honestly entertaining the thought of buying a stack so I'll never have to shop for jeans again, ever. (at 40 you can do that, kids!)
    awesome. [​IMG]

8. j

j Senior member

I'm 40. When I tried on the APC rescues, I was immediately transported by to the 70s, getting a pair of Levis at an army and navy store. I remember those Levis as being so hard that I could walk through brambles without a scratch, and they took forever to break in. Since then every time I've bought jeans (even Levis) I've asked myself why they don't make 'em like they used to. Now, with the rescues, the search is over. What I'm trying to say is it's not about fashion, it's about solid clothing that feels the way they used to. I'm honestly entertaining the thought of buying a stack so I'll never have to shop for jeans again, ever. (at 40 you can do that, kids!)
    My uncle saw my APCs and said exactly the same thing. He missed jeans that were built to last. He was really interested in the repros like Denime who could get him a great quality copy of his favorite Levi's cut (505 IIRC).

IMO, people who appear to be over 40 or so (i.e. "mature") shouldn't be wearing "fashionable" (i.e. fake or trashed looking) jeans. Younger looking people, no matter their age, might get away with it. However, raw/rinsed denim or very realistic washes would still be fine. And no one should really be wearing Abercrombie jeans.

9. ts4them

ts4them Senior member

I say not over 40 only if you look older than 40 (remember 40 is the new 30, lol) and don't have a young-at-heart look. It really comes down to the jeans in question though.

10. jean_connoisseur23

jean_connoisseur23 Senior member

I say not over 40 only if you look older than 40 (remember 40 is the new 30, lol) and don't have a young-at-heart look. It really comes down to the jeans in question though.

i agree.40 is an era where most of our parents start to age.and i think its still possible to get that young look by wearing nice jeans.but wearing them over 45 is a no-no

11. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

I'm 40. When I tried on the APC rescues, I was immediately transported by to the 70s, getting a pair of Levis at an army and navy store. I remember those Levis as being so hard that I could walk through brambles without a scratch, and they took forever to break in. Since then every time I've bought jeans (even Levis) I've asked myself why they don't make 'em like they used to. Now, with the rescues, the search is over. What I'm trying to say is it's not about fashion, it's about solid clothing that feels the way they used to.

Wait until you discover Japanese repros.

On a different note:

- I agree with the sentiment that there is no age limit but there should be a fat limit.
    - I agree that one should never buy Abercrombie denim.
    - I think that any jeans that have a stretch waistband or pleats are a bad idea, even if you are 80 years old.

12. Fubar

Fubar Member

I'm 43 and have never owned a pair of pre-distressed jeans in my life, always broken them in from raw. Currently I wear LVC's, Denime and Warehouse amongst other Japanese makes. I think jeans can look good regardless of age, it's just a matter of looking and feeling comfortable in them. Plenty of people older than me still look good in them, Robert Redford, Paul Newman, Bruce Willis. Don't forget Johnny Depp is in his forties and still stylish.

13. jean_connoisseur23

jean_connoisseur23 Senior member

14. styleoasis

styleoasis Active Member

OK, once and for all: if you're going to ask whether or not you're too old to wear this or that, DON'T. You can wear whatever you want at any age and look great. You can also be fat at any age and that makes you look terrible. Just don't act like so many young people do, most of whom will never be any smarter and certainly aren't fashionable, and buy jeans which are seven sizes too big!! The reason people perceive it as odd when older men--and women, for that matter--wear very stylish clothing is because, for whatever reason, it's a rarity. So many senior citizens have fallen into the trap of dressing very poorly that we have this image they have to fit.

15. thinman

thinman Senior member

As a lurker on the Streetwear forum, but not a poster, I'm enjoying this thread. I've worn Levi's 517s and 505s at least 4 days a week for decades and don't plan to stop wearing jeans unless/until I surpass a self-imposed "fat limit" (For reference, I'm 6'3" and 170 lbs. after recently "packing on" 10 lbs. through 8 months of intense weightlifting). Like many other recently divorced men, I realized that I hadn't bought significant clothing in years and needed an image upgrade. So I joined the forum to gather information to do a wardrobe upgrade, without dressing like I'm cruising for 20-year-old women. I've started with the business and business casual end of my wardrobe so I won't inadvertently dress like a tool and this thread at least gives me some ideas of denim that might be appropriate for someone my age. So you've saved me from wasting time pulling jeans from stacks of denim only to snicker at the thought of how they might look on my 46-year-old carcass.

But what intrigues me most about this thread is learning that what I perceive as a younger crowd doesn't have a problem with older guys (who are in decent shape) wearing jeans, whereas I suspect that my peers really do. I know the crowd over at AAAC has given some posters grief about wearing denim.

BTW, I don't think I have any jeans from my days as a 6'3" 135 lb. high school student whose body fat percentage was a negative number, but I may have denim that's older than some people who post here. Unfortunately, I can't wear it any more, since my waist has ballooned from 30" to 32". No offense intended, but I also find it interesting that many of you wash your denim in ways that I've been using for literally decades without caring about whiskering, etc. It's just unfortunate that my lifestyle means it's the seat of my jeans that look most "distressed" these days.

16. fastrunningmom

fastrunningmom Active Member

this is a timeless look... but maybe wash them when they are dirty.​

You see, this is why older people end up looking silly (and I realize that the poster who said this isn't old). It's because we all tend to slip into the mistake of thinking that what was fashionable when we were 20 will still be fashionable.

I'm a 47 year old woman. If that were true, I'd still be buying Levi straight leg corderoys from a stack at an army/navy store in a men's 27/32. I actually think I might still get in them, but I'd look pretty silly.

The only looks that are "classics" are the ones that they wore in the 40's, '50's, 60's, and so on. People were wearing Levi's 501 red tabs even when everyone was wearing "hip hugger, bell bottoms." People are still wearing them while others wear low rise flares. My husband (size 32/36) is still wearing them, and looks great at 48, but he'd look ridiculous in some real "high fashion" jeans.

BTW, I think the older gentleman in the photo looks great in his jeans and sweater, but I think his Converse look silly. A pair of slim loafers would make him look like he isn't trying. ( . . . I know, I know, they were wearing Chucks in the 40', 50's . . . there goes my theory out the window.) [​IMG]

17. Goblin

Goblin Senior member

But what intrigues me most about this thread is learning that what I perceive as a younger crowd doesn't have a problem with older guys (who are in decent shape) wearing jeans, whereas I suspect that my peers really do. I know the crowd over at AAAC has given some posters grief about wearing denim.
    I'm 35 and have absolutely no interest in dressing like my "age peers." Almost to a man, they look like shit and their lives, in general, frighten me. Most of the folks over at AAAC seem fairly nice, but some of them are clearly gigantic douches. There's some in every crowd. Consider your jeans an asshole detector ... if someone shuns you because you wear denim, you've saved yourself the trouble of dealing with a superficial jackass. Besides, I've seen pics of some of the "classist" members of the AAAC forum, and they shouldn't be giving advice on any matters having to do with personal appearance.

18. thinman

thinman Senior member

I'm 35 and have absolutely no interest in dressing like my "age peers." Almost to a man, they look like shit and their lives, in general, frighten me. Most of the folks over at AAAC seem fairly nice...
    I agree that I don't want to dress like my "age peers", but I do want to dress "age appropriate". To me this means I'll wear jeans when I d*** well feel like it. But, like fastrunningmom suggests, I sometimes wear loafers with my jeans, *never* Chucks (Chucks give me flashbacks to a time when my family couldn't afford anything better. Oh, the irony of their current popularity). I didn't want to open AAAC members to ridicule, since I too believe most of them are good people. So, please, no AAAC-bashing.