One Shoe Wardrobe: Why Not?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mafoofan, Jan 21, 2009.

1. RJman

RJman Posse Member Dubiously Honored

I pity the foo.

2. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

All the suggestions (including mine) about how to deal with averaging out the wear, and so on, have been so retrograde, so 20th century.

What's really needed is something intellectually sexy, like, oh, fuzzy logic.

Step 1: Foof obtains a shoe conveyer belt. Like so:

[​IMG]

Step 2: He awakes each morning. Rubs the stubble on his chin. Then, he stretches. He puts on his Belgian shoes and walks over to the conveyer belt. Without looking or thought, he snatches the pair that has revolved around closest to him. He puts these by the Knoll sofa to await the triathlete-like transition from Belgian shoe to Alden Mangina Longwing.

You see, over time, as Foo ages, there is a self-optimizing randomization going on.

As long as alien craft do not suck power from the transmission lines from Quebec, and assuming no brownout, this is a system that can work from foyer to coffin.

- B

3. eg1

eg1 Senior member

Now that I think of it, maybe foof's concept could work with a more subtle shoe.

[​IMG]

- B

I leave for a couple of hours, an lo the definition of subtle has been irrevocably damaged ... [​IMG]

4. Kuro

Kuro Senior member

If it takes Alden three months to resole the seven pair, Foo's original pair will be trashed from daily wearing. Not that anyone will notice. The image of his cordovan longwings will remain imprinted on the minds of everyone he knows, whether he is wearing them or not.
    I tried to tell him. BTW saw you in FN.[​IMG]

All the suggestions (including mine) about how to deal with averaging out the wear, and so on, have been so retrograde, so 20th century.

What's really needed is something intellectually sexy, like, oh, fuzzy logic.

Step 1: Foof obtains a shoe conveyer belt. Like so:

[​IMG]

Step 2: He awakes each morning. Rubs the stubble on his chin. Then, he stretches. He puts on his Belgian shoes and walks over to the conveyer belt. Without looking or thought, he snatches the pair that has revolved around closest to him. He puts these by the Knoll sofa to await the triathlete-like transition from Belgian shoe to Alden Mangina Longwing.

You see, over time, as Foo ages, there is a self-optimizing randomization going on.

As long as alien craft do not suck power from the transmission lines from Quebec, and assuming no brownout, this is a system that can work from foyer to coffin.

- B

Foo's concept is similar to Nigo, except that Nigo buys an item in virutally every color, wears it once and then puts it in his house/museum. Apparently after ordering 8 pairs of bespoke shoes from Lobb Paris in one shot he has moved on to London and is now interested in Cleverly and A&S...

5. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

Foo's concept is similar to Nigo, except that Nigo buys an item in virutally every color, wears it once and then puts it in his house/museum. Apparently after ordering 8 pairs of bespoke shoes from Lobb Paris in one shot he has moved on to London and is now interested in Cleverly and A&S...

We have a guy just like Nigo in NYC.

In fact, he posts here.

- B

6. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

I am afraid he will have to order eight pairs of shoes and won't be able to start with his current pair. When th eeight arrive, he can put seven into the daily rotation and save the remain two (the eight, plus the pair he has now) for the gap period.

If he's buying eight pairs in your system, that's just two less than my system. Plus, my system has him avoiding that miserable gap period, which is surely worth the cost of two pairs to avoid. Of course, my system does not take into account him being able to wear his one pair now. But yours will have him waiting for a second pair anyway, so it's not a real benefit.

7. Kuro

Kuro Senior member

We have a guy just like Nigo in NYC.

In fact, he posts here.

- B

well played, sir[​IMG]

8. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Nobody loves laddering? It's obviously the easiest way to maintain long-term, consistent returns.

9. Bird's One View

Bird's One View Senior member

Nine pair is a great idea. He can name them after the members of the Fellowship of the Ring. Or the von Trapp family.

10. eg1

eg1 Senior member

Nine pair is a great idea. He can name them after the members of the Fellowship of the Ring. Or the von Trapp family.

Um, I'm not following -- the 9 you are thinking of from Lord of the Rings refers to the Nazgul, not the fellowship (the good guys).

Yes, I am both a nerd and a pedant ... [​IMG]

11. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Um, I'm not following -- the 9 you are thinking of from Lord of the Rings refers to the Nazgul, not the fellowship (the good guys).

Yes, I am both a nerd and a pedant ... [​IMG]

The Fellowship is also nine, dimwat.

12. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

My hatred of LotR is the one thing that spares me from complete and total geekdom.

13. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

My hatred of LotR is the one thing that makes me a complete and total philistine.

Fixed.

14. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Hairy feet and cutesy songs ain't my thing. Nor are lithe elven archers with long flowing locks.

I can bore you to tears with talk of Doctor Who, though.

15. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Hairy feet and cutesy songs ain't my thing. Nor are lithe elven archers with long flowing locks.

I can bore you to tears with talk of Doctor Who, though.

I'm a Tom Baker man. You?