• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One Shoe Wardrobe: Why Not?

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I pity the foo.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
All the suggestions (including mine) about how to deal with averaging out the wear, and so on, have been so retrograde, so 20th century.

What's really needed is something intellectually sexy, like, oh, fuzzy logic.

Step 1: Foof obtains a shoe conveyer belt. Like so:

bape-hongkong-shoe-conveyer.jpg

Step 2: He awakes each morning. Rubs the stubble on his chin. Then, he stretches. He puts on his Belgian shoes and walks over to the conveyer belt. Without looking or thought, he snatches the pair that has revolved around closest to him. He puts these by the Knoll sofa to await the triathlete-like transition from Belgian shoe to Alden Mangina Longwing.

You see, over time, as Foo ages, there is a self-optimizing randomization going on.

As long as alien craft do not suck power from the transmission lines from Quebec, and assuming no brownout, this is a system that can work from foyer to coffin.

- B

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria
Now that I think of it, maybe foof's concept could work with a more subtle shoe.

346440784_bJPVD-X2.jpg

- B

I leave for a couple of hours, an lo the definition of subtle has been irrevocably damaged ...
eh.gif

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
If it takes Alden three months to resole the seven pair, Foo's original pair will be trashed from daily wearing. Not that anyone will notice. The image of his cordovan longwings will remain imprinted on the minds of everyone he knows, whether he is wearing them or not.
I tried to tell him. BTW saw you in FN.
wink.gif

All the suggestions (including mine) about how to deal with averaging out the wear, and so on, have been so retrograde, so 20th century.

What's really needed is something intellectually sexy, like, oh, fuzzy logic.

Step 1: Foof obtains a shoe conveyer belt. Like so:

bape-hongkong-shoe-conveyer.jpg

Step 2: He awakes each morning. Rubs the stubble on his chin. Then, he stretches. He puts on his Belgian shoes and walks over to the conveyer belt. Without looking or thought, he snatches the pair that has revolved around closest to him. He puts these by the Knoll sofa to await the triathlete-like transition from Belgian shoe to Alden Mangina Longwing.

You see, over time, as Foo ages, there is a self-optimizing randomization going on.

As long as alien craft do not suck power from the transmission lines from Quebec, and assuming no brownout, this is a system that can work from foyer to coffin.

- B

Foo's concept is similar to Nigo, except that Nigo buys an item in virutally every color, wears it once and then puts it in his house/museum. Apparently after ordering 8 pairs of bespoke shoes from Lobb Paris in one shot he has moved on to London and is now interested in Cleverly and A&S...

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kuro
Foo's concept is similar to Nigo, except that Nigo buys an item in virutally every color, wears it once and then puts it in his house/museum. Apparently after ordering 8 pairs of bespoke shoes from Lobb Paris in one shot he has moved on to London and is now interested in Cleverly and A&S...

We have a guy just like Nigo in NYC.

In fact, he posts here.

- B

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
I am afraid he will have to order eight pairs of shoes and won't be able to start with his current pair. When th eeight arrive, he can put seven into the daily rotation and save the remain two (the eight, plus the pair he has now) for the gap period.

If he's buying eight pairs in your system, that's just two less than my system. Plus, my system has him avoiding that miserable gap period, which is surely worth the cost of two pairs to avoid. Of course, my system does not take into account him being able to wear his one pair now. But yours will have him waiting for a second pair anyway, so it's not a real benefit.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We have a guy just like Nigo in NYC.

In fact, he posts here.

- B

well played, sir
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nobody loves laddering? It's obviously the easiest way to maintain long-term, consistent returns.

eg1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bird's One View
Nine pair is a great idea. He can name them after the members of the Fellowship of the Ring. Or the von Trapp family.

Um, I'm not following -- the 9 you are thinking of from Lord of the Rings refers to the Nazgul, not the fellowship (the good guys).

Yes, I am both a nerd and a pedant ...
bigstar[1].gif

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by eg1
Um, I'm not following -- the 9 you are thinking of from Lord of the Rings refers to the Nazgul, not the fellowship (the good guys).

Yes, I am both a nerd and a pedant ...
bigstar[1].gif

The Fellowship is also nine, dimwat.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
My hatred of LotR is the one thing that makes me a complete and total philistine.

Fixed.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Hairy feet and cutesy songs ain't my thing. Nor are lithe elven archers with long flowing locks.

I can bore you to tears with talk of Doctor Who, though.

I'm a Tom Baker man. You?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads