• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One Shoe Wardrobe: Why Not?

randallr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Are those your shoes and pink bag?

Don't know not my closet, you should know that Ed(from all those visits to my place). It looks like something Foof would enjoy.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
It was nice of Grimslade to let you use his office to take the picture.

It's uncanny.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think foof should just order a pair every two months, starting now. It's like laddering CDs. That way, they'll wear out in sequence.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
He wants the shoes just to have the boxes.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dopey
Yes. Sort of. They call it Alpine.

I have a pair of longwings from them. .

Just one?

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I have a pair of longwings from them. I posted them at one point.

I have a the same/similar pair. Nice for what they are, ugly comfortable gunboats. And what's the deal with Alden boxes? Can they be any smaller?

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does size matter?

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
Hmm. Can Alden make someting out of scotch grain boxcalf? The scotch grain cordovan is nasty.

I have a pair of longwings from them. I posted them at one point.

Originally Posted by RJman
Just one?

Probably, though my memory is a bit fuzzy.
Here is the post.

Originally Posted by edmorel
I have a the same/similar pair. Nice for what they are, ugly comfortable gunboats. And what's the deal with Alden boxes? Can they be any smaller?

They are probably not exactly the same, as mine are on the Modifed last and I don't recall your being one of us gimps. As far the boxes, don't complain - the orthopedic line Modified last shoes get even worse boxes. The Modified last shoes I get that were made for the Japanese market have to be smuggled to me in generic yellow shoeboxes.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by voxsartoria

346440794_6tQtw-X2.jpg

- B

Yeah, Baby!
thumbs-up.gif

Originally Posted by mafoofan
Hmm. Can Alden make someting out of scotch grain boxcalf? The scotch grain cordovan is nasty.

Philistine.
tounge.gif

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Certainly, but so what. They are reserve shoes. By design, they are not on the same schedule as the rotating seven. Not only are they worn daily for two months at a time, but they are rested for six, seven eight years as opposed to being worn once every seven days. The beauty of the system is that they are supposed to be on a different wear schedule. So they are the same, but different. Do you see?

If it takes Alden three months to resole the seven pair, Foo's original pair will be trashed from daily wearing. Not that anyone will notice. The image of his cordovan longwings will remain imprinted on the minds of everyone he knows, whether he is wearing them or not.

voxsartoria

Goon member
Timed Out
Reaction score
How can we keep this thread going for another 40 pages?

Ideas, please.

- B

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
If it takes Alden three months to resole the seven pair, Foo's original pair will be trashed from daily wearing.

hmmmmm.

I was concerned about that. I thought about having foo use two pairs for the gap period, so he could give each pair a rest on alternate days. I hesitated, because I wanted him to be able to wear his new shoes now and knew that having uneven wear among his gap period pair would be unacceptable.

But you are right that he does need two pairs for the gap period. the risks otherwise are too great.

I am afraid he will have to order eight pairs of shoes and won't be able to start with his current pair. When th eeight arrive, he can put seven into the daily rotation and save the remain two (the eight, plus the pair he has now) for the gap period.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Ideas, please.

- B

It's doing fine on its own.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Ideas, please.

- B

Do you know what foo will do with his shoe boxes? I am particularly concerned about the empty one that held the pair he wears. Where does that go? Does it get left out until the pair is returned?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads