• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, youโ€™ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One Shoe Wardrobe: Why Not?

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
What happens when you need to resole? Under your plan, all 5 (or 7) pairs are receiving the exact same wear. Therefore, it would seem likely that they would all need resoling at the same time. This will take a few weeks with Alden. Have you thought about how you are going to deal with this? Will they all be sent off together? Will they be sent off separately at risk of ruining your equal wear? Will you simply take a several week vacation on the beach where you don't need shoes while they are in the factory?

Originally Posted by mafoofan
F*ck.

This is why he needs an extra 1-2 pairs that will be kept in storage and only broken out in these occasions.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Okay okay, so five or seven pairs can't be expected to last 50 years. But why not? Each shoe is only being worn once, sometimes twice, a week.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe that shoes can only be resoled a limited number of times (3 maybe 4)......I could be wrong though.

braised

Reaction score
I'm not going to even attempt to read 36+ pages of this thread and if this has been said before then bully to the man who said it first:

Mafoo - remember your Hobbes, "foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds".

Be real, multiple pairs of the same shoe? Unless you have a couple of houses/apartments where you want to have duplicates, get real. Two pairs, sure no problem. More than that, eugh, you don't want to go there.

Braised

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Okay everybody, it's time to decide: 5 or 7 pairs? Five pairs will have me covered through the work week, whereas seven will cover the weekends too. Can I get away rotating five pairs for the next 30-50 years? Will two more make a difference?

Please don't tell me I need 15 pairs.

I'm the farthest thing from a shoe expert, but I'd think that for extended life/wear in the 50-year range you'd need a couple of months' worth so you're only wearing them 5 - 10 times a year.

Originally Posted by iammatt
I worry that days aren't exactly, exactly 24 hours long, and that this could cause a problem somehow.

What about leap years!?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
above 30 years or so, the lifespan is no longer dependent on wear, but whether the leather/stitching/glue will break down when it gets that old. many shoes just crumble

the vast majority of wearable vintage shoes are under 30 years old...

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay okay, so five or seven pairs can't be expected to last 50 years. But why not? Each shoe is only being worn once, sometimes twice, a week.

Originally Posted by Kuro
I believe that shoes can only be resoled a limited number of times (3 maybe 4)......I could be wrong though.

FWIW, I've gotten about 20 years out of my shell Aldens so far ( but they are not really suitable for office wear at this point). For a good part of their lives they were worn more than 1x/wk (and kind of abused). On both pairs the welt is still fine after 4/5 resoles.

Please do not take this as an endorsement of 'foo's idea.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yachtie
FWIW, I've gotten about 20 years out of my shell Aldens so far ( but they are not really suitable for office wear at this point). For a good part of their lives they were worn more than 1x/wk (and kind of abused). On both pairs the welt is still fine after 4/5 resoles.

Please do not take this as an endorsement of 'foo's idea.

laugh.gif

I'd like to see some pictures,I wonder what they look like after 20 years of wear.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by braised
remember your Hobbes, "foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of small minds".

Emerson.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
laugh.gif

I'd like to see some pictures,I wonder what they look like after 20 years of wear.

Ask and ye shall receive:

On the left (purtied up)

IMG_0295.jpg

and

IMG_0264.jpg

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Y., those are amazing looking for 20-year-old shoes, particularly the monkstrap.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Y., those are amazing looking for 20-year-old shoes, particularly the monkstrap.

You need to learn to read all the words; padawan lawyer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads