• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One Shoe Wardrobe: Why Not?

Spats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Now, I would like to see this Alden plaza longwing on a single leather sole. Pics?

Yes, I'd like to see "the perfect shoe." Perhaps we all might begin wearing it on a regular basis. Wouldn't that be some sort of "shoe monogamy?" Or would it be a gang bang?
tounge.gif

sloane3

Reaction score
One of the hallmarks of personality disorders - rigid inflexibility.

I'd say you have some tendencies.

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How very utilitarian.

If you're going to maximise your pleasure because you favour these shoes over others at the moment, then "why not" also have 5 of the same suits? 5 of the same pairs of socks? Have the same dinner every night? ******** in the same position every time you ********?

Simply find the one thing you enjoy in each facet of your life and abandon all others.

Ok ok, I know I'm being a bit extreme here, but really, variety is nice. And with all that money, you will easily find other shoes you love.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
The more important question is: how does one make a custom Alden order? There's a bunch of whiskey shoes I want to buy.

Very good question. You have to call up an Alden dealer and see if they'll do it for you. They are reluctant because it takes a long and indeterminate amount of time (9 months, in my case). Also, Alden stopped taking custom orders for some time, so it's only recently that this has become an option.

Originally Posted by rezzor
I think the idea is very appealing especially combined with all blue shirts. In fact, it sounds liberating. If you can live with the boring aspect of it, everything else is a plus especially time saved shopping for shoes.

Yes, exactly.

Originally Posted by Tarmac
Nothing wrong with it, its a personal decision. One that doesn't require you to ask others what they think.

Now, I would like to see this Alden plaza longwing on a single leather sole. Pics?

You know me: I ask questions but don't really care what the answers are. I consider threads like these an opportunity for community dialogue.

I'm going to do a blog post on the shoes. They came out exactly as I envisioned, and they appear noticeably neater in finish than Alden's stock shoes.

Originally Posted by academe
No offense intended,there seems something a tad obsessional about this...

Maybe. It's a passion.

Originally Posted by Spats
Yes, I'd like to see "the perfect shoe." Perhaps we all might begin wearing it on a regular basis. Wouldn't that be some sort of "shoe monogamy?" Or would it be a gang bang?
tounge.gif

Don't you dare clog up Alden with more orders. I already have to wait nearly a year to get more of these as it is.

Originally Posted by celery
Simply find the one thing you enjoy in each facet of your life and abandon all others.

The only things holding me back from this are: (1) practicality, and (2) not always liking one thing more than all other alternatives combined. It's just that, in the case of the Longwing, neither is an issue.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. Unless you have a high threshold for boredom I believe you will want some variety after some time. Maximum one duplicate, otherwise you are just wasting money buying the same thing. And why that shoe of all shoes?
frown.gif

tattersall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zjpj83
The more important question is: how does one make a custom Alden order? There's a bunch of whiskey shoes I want to buy.

Originally Posted by mafoofan
Very good question. You have to call up an Alden dealer and see if they'll do it for you. They are reluctant because it takes a long and indeterminate amount of time (9 months, in my case). Also, Alden stopped taking custom orders for some time, so it's only recently that this has become an option.

Any takers on a group buy of Longwings on the Plaza last in whiskey shell? Maybe LeatherSoul would do it...

bluemagic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think always wearing the same shoe detracts from the value of always wearing the same shirt.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kuro
And why that shoe of all shoes?
frown.gif

Hmm. Well, I like the Plaza last. Shoes made on it fit me better than any other RTW shoe I've tried, particularly in blucher form. I think color #8 happens to match well with pretty much anything I'd wear (grey, charcoal, navy, brown, etc.). I love wingtips and I think the longwing-blucher combination is the most harmonious configuration for one. But most importantly, other shoes are either less interesting to me or too weird to be the One.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I like the Alden longwing for sure, but there are so many great brands in a number of different styles available. Even if you stick with the Alden longwing, there are different colors available to change things up every now and then.

Five pairs of the exact same shoe? No.

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People who have looked at my wardrobe have said ironically, "why don't you get some brown shoes?" There are a few rows of brown shoes and they range from cap toe lace-ups to brown suede tassel loafers, but to the average person I just wear brown shoes. They don't really take much notice.
I have a couple of the exact same suede shoes because I love them and didn't want to be left with a worn-out pair and then not been able to find them again.
Same applies to the rest of my clothes - shirts are all blue (a few white) with small variations - pale, slightly darker, blue and white stripe etc. And suits are navy or grey. Ties are solids basically but in navy, burgundy, purple, dark green, brown. I'm sure I look pretty much the same every day to most people, although I have a couple of faint windowpane cashmere sportcoats in navy and brown.
I don't really see it as a problem although I readily identify with OCD. I actually revel in it.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I like the Alden longwing for sure, but there are so many great brands in a number of different styles available. Even if you stick with the Alden longwing, there are different colors available to change things up every now and then. Five pairs of the exact same shoe? No.
Eh. I like color #8 the best, despite the rarity of Whiskey and Cigar. They tend to be too light or too dull. If I had a sufficient supply of pairs in #8, I'd consider some in brown suede and black cordovan or calf.
Originally Posted by spectre
I don't really see it as a problem although I readily identify with OCD. I actually revel in it.
Kindred spirits.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Does anyone know how many pairs I'd need to make sure they last a lifetime, assuming I rotate them and wear them almost exclusively? Would 7 pairs do the trick?

Spats

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mafoofan;1675255 said:
Don't you dare clog up Alden with more orders. I already have to wait nearly a year to get more of these as it is.

/QUOTE] But given enough custom orders it could become next year's standard issue. In the interest of sameness and regularity, surely that wouldn't be a problem, would it?
eh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads