• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One shoe for a week of city walking

ezwicky

Reaction score
In the interest of packing as light as possible, I'm thinking about just one pair of shoes in addition to my hiking boots and suede drivers to take on an overseas vacation where we'll have five days of exploring one of our favorite cities. The week prior will be hiking in the mountains, hence the boots.

Trousers will be a pair of jeans and a light-colored linen trousers. Jacket will be charcoal fresco. Shirts will range from plain t-shirts to polos to merino sweaters.

Weather could be anywhere from 40s at night to low 80s in the day. Could be rainy, could be fair.

My shoe choices are:

1) Brown suede chukka boots
2) Brown wingtips (I'm wearing them for work this week in Phoenix and they're very comfortable)
3) Light brown non-penny loafers. Smooth and plain.
4) Black cap-toe derby, pretty well worn-in.

Open to any other suggestions too. I have six weeks to break in a new pair...

Thanks in advance,

Eric Z
Richmond VA
USA

johng70

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, the black ones are out (not a good match for light linen trousers IMO).
Loafers are the most common style of shoe with linen pants. Linen is a more casual pant so they just work well together. My concern would be how your loafers will hold up to a lot of walking. For me it would be between the loafers and the brown wingtips. If equally comfortable with a lot of standing/walking then the loafers but if the wingtips are going to hold up better for the walking go that route.

Easily Amused

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If they have rubber soles, I'd say the brown suede chukka boots. I've done a lot of vacation pavement pounding in boots during the summer. I find rubber soled chukka (and chelsea) boots super-versatile and comfortable, unless you're planning to wear shorts (which I didn't see).

Another option to consider would be espadrilles, depending on how much you'll be walking.

ezwicky

Reaction score
Dainite soles on the chukkas. No espadrilles at the moment. Thanks guys for the replies!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads