Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

One piece shoes - yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by exelero, Nov 5, 2013.

1. exelero

exelero New Member

Greetings everyone, I'm new here and I'd like to ask your opinion about these shoes. I'd wear them with a charcoal suit.
    [​IMG]

2. GBR

GBR Senior member

No reason why not if you like them.

3. AlexE

AlexE Senior member

Wholecuts in general are YAY, those on your pics are NAY (I do not like the pattern of punched holes)

4. dimitrioup

dimitrioup Well-Known Member

just personal opinion but I dont really like wholecuts. Actually its not that I dont like them, they just dont quite fit in my shoe image, not sure how to explain it. I'm sure they can look great on some people.

However for these particular ones I must agree that I dont like the punched holes. Too many? too big?

5. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Quote:This goes for me, too. While I'm not sure this formed part of the OP's question, they are perfectly appropriate for a suit.

6. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Curiously, I don't like wholecuts at all but love the uninterrupted lines of the chelsea boot.

7. Coburn

Coburn Senior member

I really dislike whole cuts. I mean they are actually repulsive on some deep, visceral level.

I can't articulate the issue but the closed lacing of oxford whole cuts on the unseamed shoe leather reminds me of a surgical incision.

The smooth unseamed leather reminds me of some slimy, hairless mammal. Like a coyote with mange.

I know, you laugh, but I'm serious. Those shoes really creep me out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

I love wholecuts. It lays bare the shape of the last, and stands or falls on on the lines created thereby. It's hard to do well, and as a consequence, all the more enjoyable when the maker positively nails it. I accept entirely the subjectivity of personal preference that would allow any one individual to look upon the following examples from G&G and St. Crispin's and declare them to be "repulsive", but I don't for a moment understand it. Pics courtesy of Leatherfoot. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. dimitrioup

These look great. Still wouldn't probably choose them but I can appreciate them for beauty and quality

10. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

My fiance (who grew up in Cyprus) made fun of me when I was wearing LWBs all over Larnaca & Nicosia the last time we were there... wholecuts would have been too much for her. :)

I told her I'm wearing my balmoral boots on our next visit. :rotflmao:

11. dimitrioup

Yeah cyprus can be like that, too informal. The scorching heat helps too.... Limassol is a bit more formal or at least fashionable. Shoulder season lasts 10 months here. Or rather it lasts 4 months and the other six are summer (real, in your face, burn your lungs 40 celsius summer too!)

12. untouchable123

untouchable123 Member

Most whole cuts look great when they are un-worn. once they are creased they look a lot different.

13. CTLION

CTLION Senior member

A very interesting and true point. I was on the verge of purchasing a pair because they do look sleek, but once you start wearing them I wonder if that look is lost. Like of like a luxury sports car with a big scratch on the hood. I am not sure I have ever seen a one piece shoe on someone to actually confirm or deny my suspicions.

14. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Quote:Yes and no. All shoes crease to some extent. On a wholecut - with a clean and uncluttered vamp and toe, you could make the case that the creases are more evident, not being camouflaged by wings, caps, flaps, stitching and brogueing. But the suggestion that they, in some singular and unique way, transition from looking "great" when new to "a lot different" when worn is not one I believe to be accurate. All shoes will look great when new - and to some extent, different when used. The degree of the difference is down to many of the vagaries of creasing (not to mention the degree of care given by the wearer) rather than the particular style of shoe. For more on the whys and wherefors of creasing, read the follwoing: http://www.theshoesnobblog.com/2013...eather-creasing-means-something-is-wrong.html As you will see, different shoes of different styles can and do exhibit different levels of creasing due to any number of factors.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013

15. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Agreed; I think it's because the boot sweeps upwards, whereas the wholecut truncates at the ankle.

Not that wholecuts can't theoretically look pretty; the first pair pictured above is kind of nice. But I don't really want any for myself.