1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

One more time...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by d.h., Sep 9, 2004.

1. d.h.

d.h. Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

You helped me before with shoes and a suit, and I'm grateful, but I need just one more thing: shirt/tie ideas.

This is for a wedding I'll be attending in a couple of weeks. I already have a navy suit and am getting black shoes tomorrow. What do you suggest for shirt and tie? Is a white shirt too plain?

I'm a slim guy, 6' tall, southern European (oval-shaped face, dark hair and eyes, tan easily; "medium contrast" according to Flusser), 31 years old (but I look a lot younger) if that helps.

2. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Distinguished Member

The shirt and tie depends entirely on your personal taste in clothing.  I attended a wedding this past August and wore a navy pinstripe, SB 3B suit with a pink spread collar contrasting FC shirt and a paisley burgundy tie.  It was definitely a bit lively for most of the crowd, but then again, I'd rather border on on eccentric for fun occasions.

3. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

I think that the choices are pretty wide open for something like a wedding. Since your suit and shoe choices are pretty conservative you can have some fun with the shirt/tie. I say if you have suitable dress shirt options, go buy yourself a new tie for the special occasion. A pocket square would help finish the look.

By the way, make sure you have some good navy socks.

4. d.h.

d.h. Well-Known Member

Already on it. Thanks.

5. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Let us know what you go with. What shoes did you decide on?

6. d.h.

d.h. Well-Known Member

I will....

I'm just going out tomorrow to look for some decent-looking black cap toes. I'll try Nordstrom Rack first, though I doubt I'll find anything. And there's a Johnston & Murphy store by my house. Maybe Macy's....