One more question...helmut lang, varvatos...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by norcaltransplant, Dec 8, 2003.

1. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

Just out of question, does anyone know who makes the shoes and leather goods for the larger design houses? I was at a To Boot sample sale and they included some Varvatos styles on their sales rack, and last year I was interested in picking up a pair of plain chisel toe oxfords at the Helmut Lang sale. Does anyone know who produces shoes for Helmut Lang and/or Dolce and Gabbana for that matter? Are these shoes of any quality? (I would never pay retail, but are they worth it even at half price?)

nocal

2. itzamazing

itzamazing Senior member

I was at a To Boot sample sale last month and they also carried some Gucci shoes as well, and in the past those sales have had other brands besides To Boot. I asked one of the workers there what was the reason for this and he told me that they also have overstock from other brands. I dont know if this is true or he just was telling me whatever he had been told to tell customers.

If you hope to score a pair of shoes at the Helmut Lang sale that starts tomorrow, I would get there very early....it starts 10, and there will be a line likely outside the Market. The shoes (scattered on the floor & poorly organized unless things changed this season) are usually priced around $99 so you may have a chance to score something if you are early (popular sizes like an 11 are gone in seconds). By the afternoon, the good stuff is long gone.

3. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

The HL sample sale this season is garbage. I visited this evening after my classes and found nothing. On a positive note, I stopped by the Bluefly outlet center on my way back to the Metro North and found two mediocre to good deals. A pair of gray pinstripe flannel by Ralph Lauren for $25 and a pair of red label Hugo Boss jeans for $50 (boot cut, in a dark wash... not an overwhelmingly wonderful value, but they fit m y agenda). I wish I wore a 40R or 42R, the outlet had one RL PL and Isaia Napoli suits that were missing their pants marked down to a hundred bucks. I was thinking about buying them and placing an ebay ad... but declined, less I incur the wrath of matadorpoeta [​IMG] And I have an exam in less than 2 weeks... Moral of the story-- the Bluefly outlet is worth a peek for New Yorkers. Lots of Zegna Soft for cheap (sweaters >$40). norcal

4. itzamazing

itzamazing Senior member

I went to the Helmut sale as well but I did not expect much. They had stuff from as far back Fall 1997 there [​IMG] Items from 6 years ago should be selling for next to nothing IMO. It really looked like they had stuff in a box that they were trying to unload. One year I camped out and did score a Helmut black messenger bag for $95. Sample sales (and I attend most in NYC) are really struggling of late and suffering from overexposure. Higher prices and a bad product mix could very well be the reason.

5. Timothy

Timothy Senior member

For some reason I think that Premiata may make shoes for Gucci, and others, but since I can't recall where I got this info I don't know how reliable it is.