• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One Million Internetz to the SF Detective Genius that figures this out.

Jermyn

Reaction score
I have been searching for weeks trying to figure out who makes this SC.

There is only one identifying tag on the inside, it just shows the composition and has no other info. The only visible branding on the inside shows the name of a defunct British store.

The SA in the store selling this believes it has been made by Fray. It certainly has a great hand and is fully canvassed, handsewn buttonholes etc. However, I have never seen nor heard of Fray making SCs before.

IMG00188-20110415-1736.jpg

Aside from this, the price tags have a more informative piece of info on the back (found on a different SC bearing the same inner branding):

IMG00216-20110517-1424.jpg

The HOF label thread shows nothing similar.

Surely somebody out there in SF has seen this before?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
How about a shot of the coat itself as well? Also things like buttonholes, lapels, etc...

Jermyn

Reaction score
Here you go, the only one I've got at the moment:

IMG00186-20110415-1735.jpg

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That materials tag is very very familiar...I just can't recall who it is ATM...maybe Belvest?

Don Carlos

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Any pics of the full body of the jacket? Usually you can tell quite a bit by the cut, which is not apparent in close-up pics like the ones you've posted.

My personal guess is Borrelli, based on having seen a similar fabric used in their sportcoats many times before. But that's a pretty haphazard guess unless I can eyeball the entire jacket.

Matter of fact, if it's a 38-40L, why not just send it to me to try on and do some "detective work" with? Solve a few mysteries and such. I'll return it eventually.

Jermyn

Reaction score
Looks like I'll have to head back in and get some more shots.
The Super 160s Suit was in a Charcoal Flannel, a very well made staple for the price.
I will probably end up buying it regardless.

There's just something about owning a suit, and not knowing who made it, that would eat away at me though.

inimitable

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jermyn

There is only one identifying tag on the inside, it just shows the composition and has no other info. The only visible branding on the inside shows the name of a defunct British store.

What's the name of the store?

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Partenopea uses that little plastic "made in italy" knob to connect the paper tag to the buttonhole.

Jermyn

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HRoi
...maybe Belvest?

Originally Posted by SpooPoker
At first I thought Cucinelli.

Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
My personal guess is Borrelli

Originally Posted by othertravel
Made in Italy "Theory"?

Originally Posted by edmorel
Maybe Sartorio.

Originally Posted by TonyThe Tailor
Looks like Alpetora, who imports Private label tailored clothing and also has the brand name Gianni Manzoni

Originally Posted by Tony Romo
I think Partenopea uses that little plastic "made in italy" knob to connect the paper tag to the buttonhole.

Well, let's see if a few more pictures can help to narrow things down a little
lol8[1].gif

I went back to the store today and the original SC I was looking at 50 cashmere/ 50 silk was gone. However there was a 100% Loro Piana wool SC that the SA was kind enough to let me photograph. I think he's as intrigued as I am. He even let slip that it may have been made in the same Polish factory that makes for a few of the places on Savile Row
stirpot.gif

The defunct store, which this originally was made for, is called: Piero Zuliani. SFer C&A sold a few of their suits on B&S back in 2008 and had no idea who made them.

Full shot

IMG00241-20110518-1337.jpg

Sleeve buttons

IMG00243-20110518-1338.jpg

Button holes

IMG00242-20110518-1337.jpg

Pocket

IMG00245-20110518-1340.jpg

Collar

IMG00244-20110518-1338.jpg

Lapels

IMG00246-20110518-1340.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads