• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One loafer above all others

Harr9882

Reaction score
Quite a relevant topic for me. Firstly I’ve never owned a pair of loafers. I know that seems odd but I’ve typically bought Oxfords, split toe derbies and chukka boots and it’s only recently that I’ve become more interested due to their flexibility to go from formal to informal.
I’m off to my nieces wedding and wishing to pair some loafers with a mid grey suit. I’ve done extensive research and I’m coming down to either a Trickers Elton black tassel or a Trickers James in a lovely espresso brown. So which one will be more versatile and take me from the work place, through the wedding and into the weekend?

1622284488495.jpeg

1622284532410.jpeg
1622284488495.jpeg 1622284532410.jpeg

Biogentic

Reaction score
Edward Green Lulworth loafer
Still trying to break in to soften the leather... but now felt much better after 2 wears but the stiff leather still cuts me a little

Attachments

• 4FB47631-8DDB-4D8A-9832-2392CD4CA7D5.jpeg
    4FB47631-8DDB-4D8A-9832-2392CD4CA7D5.jpeg
    319.3 KB · Views: 259

BPL Esq

Reaction score
Quite a relevant topic for me. Firstly I’ve never owned a pair of loafers. I know that seems odd but I’ve typically bought Oxfords, split toe derbies and chukka boots and it’s only recently that I’ve become more interested due to their flexibility to go from formal to informal.
I’m off to my nieces wedding and wishing to pair some loafers with a mid grey suit. I’ve done extensive research and I’m coming down to either a Trickers Elton black tassel or a Trickers James in a lovely espresso brown. So which one will be more versatile and take me from the work place, through the wedding and into the weekend?

It seems like either of your possible choices would be good for your workplace to weekend purposes, but I'd wear some of those oxfords you have to your niece's wedding with the suit.

Harr9882

Reaction score
It seems like either of your possible choices would be good for your workplace to weekend purposes, but I'd wear some of those oxfords you have to your niece's wedding with the suit.
Good challenge, possibly I’m going to informal with this pick. Thanks.

Harr9882

Reaction score
I wouldn’t wear « beefroll » Pennies with a suit for a wedding, nor Tassels, but it is up to you and a matter of personal preference. Each to is own anall that!
Thanks for the feedback. What choice would you make for the wedding?

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. What choice would you make for the wedding?
If you want to wear loafers with your suit (why not), penny loafers without beefrolls, lot of models already seen on this thread (Alden, C&J, JM Weston, etc). Cheaper versions exist too. With a mid grey suit and for a wedding I would wear black but that’s me.

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How formal is the suit? Standard, mid grey business suit, I’d probably wear oxfords. Something more fun/summery you could definitely go loafers.

But really, just wear loafers if you want. The CEO of my Fortune 500 employer wears Gucci horsebit loafers to our board meetings

emptym

Reaction score
It also depends on the time of day, imo. For a daytime wedding, I might wear dark burgundy loafers, but for evening, I'd prob go with black.

I agree that plain pennies would be better than tassles or beefroll. I also don't love the extra seam on the side of those Tricker James, or the heel counter, or the ridge on the heel counter. As Clouseau mentioned, something like the Alden LHS, C&J Harvard/Boston, or JM Weston 180 would better. The Aldens would be my choice, as I think they're the most versatile. C&J or JM Weston 180 would look most like the Trickers, with their higher, wider toe boxes, but they'd be much nicer imo and still versatile enough to go from suit to jeans or shorts. The EG Piccadilly or Lobb Lopez would be great too, but more formal. I wouldn't wear them w/ shorts, or even jeans or chinos if there were other options.

Harr9882

Reaction score
It also depends on the time of day, imo. For a daytime wedding, I might wear dark burgundy loafers, but for evening, I'd go with black.

I agree that plain pennies would be better than tassles or beefroll. I also don't love the extra seam on the side of those Tricker James, or the heel counter, or the ridge on the heel counter. As Clouseau mentioned, something like the Alden LHS, C&J Harvard/Boston, or JM Weston 180 would better. The Aldens would be my choice, as I think they're the most versatile. But C&J or JM Weston 180 would look most like the Trickers with their higher, wider toe boxes, but they'd be much nicer imo and still versatile enough to go from suit to jeans or shorts. The EG Piccadilly or Lobb Lopez would be great too, but more formal. I wouldn't wear them w/ shorts, or even jeans or chinos if there were other options.
Really appreciate your thoughts. Being a loafer novice this is very helpful.

barutanseijin

Reaction score
What do you guys prefer - Alden LHS standard penny or the full strap version? And is everything else besides the strap similar (including vamp length and toe shape)?

I prefer the standard penny. I’m a hard size to find in the Aberdeen last. Sizing up from Van bumps me into a size range almost no retailers carry. But more than that, it’s the looks of the full strap: I just don’t like it.

pasadena man

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very informative thread. While versatility is a leitmotif here. I wanted to check on people’s views as to which brands, models, and materials pair well with denim, and which are a stretch.

My sense, from the thread (and my own experience) is the following:

-Calf usually more formal, suede casual, and the latter thus often more compatible with denim.

-Cordovan perhaps the most compatible material with denim.

-Most Alden and AE model loafers compatible with denim.

-Many C & J, some Church’s, compatible with denim.

-The next price level up seems often a stretch, maybe too sleek, for denim; EG, LOBB, AND J M Weston .

Others’ perceptions?

dresden

Reaction score
I don't mean to toot my own horn (well, kinda) but with Sons of Henrey we have created a very, very well balanced loafer last that has received a lot of praise, more so than any other of our lasts.

The last has been designed in cooperation with Springline, and the shoes are Goodyear welted in Spain.

On the left there is the lined Penny loafer in Dark Brown Utah calf, and on the right there is the unlined Penny loafer in Castoro suede.

View attachment 1601008

View of the toe:

View attachment 1601009

View attachment 1601010
Have to agree with Sons of Henrey. Great quality and styling. I have two pairs of their loafers. Tassel suede and penny calf. Sleek enough to wear with tailored clothing. Here is a pic of each
7D0F5219-2117-43ED-86EB-04C853D52104.png
2D094968-4C28-4C40-8CE6-F28C00C535B1.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads