• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One loafer above all others

TomTom

Reaction score
Sorry. Wrong. The Submariners worn by Bond were 39mm (later 40mm...Live and Let Die). The watch Bond wore in the movies was never 36mm. In the books by Flemming, Bond might have worn a Rolex Explorer, which was 36mm, but that watch never made it to the screen and can't be mistaken for any iteration of Submariner. Rant over.
Sorry, correction .The model Rolex Oyster Perpetual Submariner So-called “James Bond” Ref. 6538, made in 1956 was a 38mm watch,so my bad, but not 39mm.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, correction .The model Rolex Oyster Perpetual Submariner So-called “James Bond” Ref. 6538, made in 1956 was a 38mm watch,so my bad, but not 39mm.

That single millimeter of difference often depends on how an individual measures the case. This is why you can find various 6538s listed at auction with varying case sizes (37, 38, 39), along with how the individual watches were finished and subsequently polished.

The sizing listed by the brand(s) can also be at odds with actual measurements (see Omega Speedy FOIS vs Speedy Pro) for the sake of marketing...Anyway, the watch Sean C. wore was never that small. The submariners that Roger M. wore were the classic 40mm.

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
9smpath, Duke is the sociologist, not me. Howard Street divides North Shore from North Side. Since Evanston forbade sale of alcohol, liquor shops and bars are on the Chicago side.

Last edited:

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
9smpath, Duke is the sociologist, not me. Howard Street divides North Shore from North Side. Since Evanston forbade sale of alcohol, liquor shops and bars are on the Chicago side.

Again, what are trying to say here? What does Howard dividing North Shore from Rogers Park have to do with anything? I don't get your point. Btw, there are presently many bars in Evanston (and a huge Binny's...), but why does this matter? And what does it have to do with tassel loafers?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
183014859_161736079207184_502218886913241032_n.jpg

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New Yorker ®️ockefeller's univer$ity, the Terkels and now you, 9thsymph! ?????????????
I choose Bass Flat Strap Weejun in any color or leather without additive as? above all others. 1936 vintage and provides by its manufacture in Central America employment as factory workers instead of illegal entry with drug and human traffic to bankrupt and mutilate USA. ??

Now do Alden?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Now do Alden?
I like your Alden's -- and your Belgian Shoes -- but I'll be damned if I'm going to try to squeeze a Rolex on my foot. ;) ;)

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok...I don’t really understand what’s happening in this thread, but in an attempt to cover as much terrain as possible, I offer you this picture of me, presently sitting in a bar, in evanston, on the north shore of Chicago, wearing tassel loafers, and a vintage submariner, purchased on Oak Street, while wearing the same loafers:

A0693896-E76A-4F0D-ADC8-3AF85F6106C6.jpeg

Last edited:

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry. Wrong. The Submariners worn by Bond were 39mm (later 40mm...Live and Let Die). The watch Bond wore in the movies was never 36mm. In the books by Flemming, Bond might have worn a Rolex Explorer, which was 36mm, but that watch never made it to the screen and can't be mistaken for any iteration of Submariner. Rant over.
The only reference to Rolex Fleming ever gave to Bond was that he wore an “Oyster Perpetual” and has forever left it to us readers to wonder if he meant a Sub or something else. Of course the film-makers decided it was indeed a Sub but Fleming never specified Sub, Explorer or any other version.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only reference to Rolex Fleming ever gave to Bond was that he wore an “Oyster Perpetual” and has forever left it to us readers to wonder if he meant a Sub or something else. Of course the film-makers decided it was indeed a Sub but Fleming never specified Sub, Explorer or any other version.

Right. That’s why I used the word “might”. Fleming himself wore an Explorer, thus my rather specific “guess”

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads