• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One loafer above all others

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of the collections you see on there or on the Rolex forum are sort of hilarious. Guys have 20 subtly different versions of the same watch, usually a bunch of Subs.

Yep. No wrong way to "collect" though really.

TomTom

Reaction score
Some of the collections you see on there or on the Rolex forum are sort of hilarious. Guys have 20 subtly different versions of the same watch, usually a bunch of Subs.
Rolex people are very strange, obsessed by their watches to a point it's like a cult.I always wanted a submariner and once had the chance to get one as part of my bonus (worked for a ME bank) I tried the submariner but they are too chucky for my wrist. When people drool over the one 007 wears in movies they forget that that was a 36mm model that wears small, not the huge blingy ones they offer today. Rant over.

apd90700

Reaction score
Back on topic.

Thinking OP shouldn't go overboard with a Cordovan loafer on his first pair, and he probably shouldn't go suede unless he has other shoes in suede and wears the look well.

Probably something versatile like Burgundy or Dark to Medium Brown Vegano Calf, maybe Museum or Old England tanning if he's feeling venturesome.

MaE

Reaction score
Yeah but there's a difference between having 3 pairs of the same pants or shoes (a day of wear should be equal to at least a day of rest for these type of items) and having 3 times the same watch unless I missed something...

barutanseijin

Reaction score
Bridgeport native neglects to mention Machine boss Richard Daley was from South Side, is very confused about New Yorker Studs who relocated to study at Rockerfeller's University of "Chicago" like murderers Leopold and Loeb, all presumably wore finest Florsheim of Horween with or without tassle.

Studs was born in NYC, but moved to Chicago as a child. He lived nearly all his long life in Chicago. As part of his Chicago identity, Terkel took the name Studs from James Farrel’s Studs Lonigan books, set in Chicago.

Loeb died before tassel loafers were invented, so he definitely did not wear them. Did they issue tassel loafers in Joliet and/or Stateville?

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
To that poster who lived Back of the (Stock) Yards please ask posters
Phileas Fogg and Jmr928 both so well informed and love Chicago to help you find your way from your native Bridgeport
over to where those NYC migrants Terkels bought their hotel at Grand & Wells, lived at Ashland & Flournoy, and hung out at a tavern near Division. But to get to the Near North Side keep going north up to Belmont and east to the Lake, the south border of Lincoln Park.
Duke can advise you which model loafers to wear when you keep walking north along the Lake because he's done oral history with some guys who call for him the sartorial shots on the North Shore. Check your City of Chicago map to see where Terkels' new home was, then check in your State of Illinois map for Joliet and Stateville.

Last edited:

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Probably throwing sand on the beach here at this point, but Alden cordovan pennies and tassels are my go-to jams, followed by their suede pennies and tassels...

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My go-to quintet:

B25E6E9A-0C04-46CE-8A76-F085BA6B4C0D.jpeg

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(for sociological context re my aesthetic choices, it should be noted I live in the North-Shore-North-Side-Chicago-Lake-Michigan neighborhood...)

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
9thsympath bear in mind Duke's loafer- to-wear research asks certain North Shore guys in the club, not North Siders. Lincoln Park Zoo Club allows North Shore guys. Ex-Bridgeport native on way to Lake can check Historical Society archives if and when tassles on loafers worn by any guests in bowling alleys of Lake Shore Club.

Last edited:

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
9thsympath bear in mind Duke's loafer- to-wear research asks certain North Shore guys in the club, not North Siders. Lincoln Park Zoo Club allows North Shore guys. Ex-Bridgeport native on way to Lake can check Historical Society archives if and when tassles on loafers worn by any guests in bowling alleys of Lake Shore Club.

My post was facetious. Also, I'm not really sure what regional distinctions you are trying to make and maintain, or what you think that amounts to.

Anyway, I'm a NYC native, but now live in Chicagoland and I basically wear tassel loafers wherever the **** I want, without regard for whatever normative social/class structures you are trying to identify and adhere. I wear tassel loafers to dives like Oasis (on Sheridan) and Tally-Ho (on Howard), but also to "stuffy" institutions like U of C and Northwestern - and also to the most highfalutin establishments in town...In all of these environments I am dressed like an "outsider" and no one seems to care, so...

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Rolex people are very strange, obsessed by their watches to a point it's like a cult.I always wanted a submariner and once had the chance to get one as part of my bonus (worked for a ME bank) I tried the submariner but they are too chucky for my wrist. When people drool over the one 007 wears in movies they forget that that was a 36mm model that wears small, not the huge blingy ones they offer today. Rant over.

Sorry. Wrong. The Submariners worn by Bond were 39mm (later 40mm...Live and Let Die). The watch Bond wore in the movies was never 36mm. In the books by Flemming, Bond might have worn a Rolex Explorer, which was 36mm, but that watch never made it to the screen and can't be mistaken for any iteration of Submariner. Rant over.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads