• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One loafer above all others

absolem

Reaction score
My pick would have been black JM Weston 180s, but I've found that the last doesn't fit me. Since then I've come across these loafers from Role Club which I may like even more and hit the same spot. Either would be very versatile for me, from casual suit to true casual.

Attachments

• Ecs0aqSUMAIxZSU.jpg
    Ecs0aqSUMAIxZSU.jpg
    249.5 KB · Views: 97

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bass are awful quality these days. Plasticky / cardboardy corrected grain leather. I think they’ve recently gone bankrupt. Certainly I heard they were closing all their shops in the US. I used to look in the window and never saw anything remotely attractive they just look cheap and nasty. Too bad as I understand that some time ago they were great quality and highly rated. Probably another victim of the ‘race to the bottom’ trend of offshoring production.

jdgershbein

Reaction score
Love the feedback on this thread. You present a veritable cavalcade of great brands.

For my foot, I favor the Magnanni penny and horsebit styles. They fit perfectly and exude quality. I have a few burnished styles that are exceptional. I am exploring other merchants in all their glorious shades of brown, including Beckett Simonon and Allen Edmonds.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love the feedback on this thread. You present a veritable cavalcade of great brands.

For my foot, I favor the Magnanni penny and horsebit styles. They fit perfectly and exude quality. I have a few burnished styles that are exceptional. I am exploring other merchants in all their glorious shades of brown, including Beckett Simonon and Allen Edmonds.
I got AE Cavanaughs in navy suede but couldn’t get them to fit me. Would love for them to go to a good home. Barely worn. 8.5 US. PM if anyone’s interested! Great looking shoes.

AMH

Reaction score
Maybe this is the wrong place to say it, but I can't stand loafers. The convenience of a slip-on is nice, but I really hate the way they look. If there's a loafer that doesn't look like a loafer, that might be the one for me.

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If I were in
Bass are awful quality these days. Plasticky / cardboardy corrected grain leather. I think they’ve recently gone bankrupt. Certainly I heard they were closing all their shops in the US. I used to look in the window and never saw anything remotely attractive they just look cheap and nasty. Too bad as I understand that some time ago they were great quality and highly rated. Probably another victim of the ‘race to the bottom’ trend of offshoring production.
If I were in the US, I'd buy some Logan flat and even Larson beefroll models like in red or blue or whatever which are offered reduced in price. You guys in the US can really get some bargain prices. I think some of those models are neat and cool. But in Europe the Weejun prices and selection are absurd, out of question.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

They have a higher-end line made by Rancourt. Full grain leather, stitched soles, etc. But I agree the mainline is not worth buying.

tumblr_n7tge9Tljl1qb49x3o1_1280.jpg
1069-2942_10692942c69a.jpeg

Naive Jr.

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Dear Thin White Duke,

Thanks very much for the sincere warning about misleading item photographs not really presenting how things - here Bass Weejun models - REALLY look, in truth. ?

If I could have seen items I bought online, I would have made far fewer mistakes. ? I buy all my clothes online.

I won't be buying anything directly from US ?? because of shipping? cost and import and handling charges. Such firms as Bass now have established outside US
websites and doubled ?prices, so both options to buy any Weejuns is out of the question for me overseas anyway. Nevertheless Weejun is archetypal and
certain models Logan and even beefroll Larson in unusual leather colors simply fun! ?

PS: I supported and support Made in?? USA. ? ?? I always praised Filson and respect American???❤️ clothes firms who keep their promise? like Filson. ? I want to support American workers! ?️ But overseas American products are very expensive, too expensive for me.

Last edited:

apd90700

Reaction score
@DcDrape -- Depending on your age, what you wear with them, the location you'll be wearing them [geographically] will largely determine which type of loafer and what features would be best for your first pair. As someone earlier eluded, certain geographic locations could make something like a horsebit or tassel loafer seem overly dressed, and unless you are someone comfortable trend setting, then you'll probably be better served with a pair you'll wear often like a penny or subdued Belgian. I'd opt for City rubber sole over leather if this is just one pair you have that you might wear frequently.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
@DcDrape -- Depending on your age, what you wear with them, the location you'll be wearing them [geographically] will largely determine which type of loafer and what features would be best for your first pair. As someone earlier eluded, certain geographic locations could make something like a horsebit or tassel loafer seem overly dressed, and unless you are someone comfortable trend setting, then you'll probably be better served with a pair you'll wear often like a penny or subdued Belgian. I'd opt for City rubber sole over leather if this is just one pair you have that you might wear frequently.
Yes, a rubber sole is practical, and better than a "Topy" that (in my experience) doesn't last very long. My next quality Penny loafers will be Bowen "Oake" with Dainite soles, made for them by Alfred Sargent. They look a lot like the JM Weston 180, apart the soles.

Bowen Oake.jpg

chipshot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe this is the wrong place to say it, but I can't stand loafers. The convenience of a slip-on is nice, but I really hate the way they look. If there's a loafer that doesn't look like a loafer, that might be the one for me.
Yawning..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads