• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One loafer above all others

JFK_88

Reaction score
If I were to choose one then it would need to be something that if properly cared for can last forever and which would need to be very versatile inasmuch as it could be dressed up or down. My vote would definitely go to the Ralph Lauren Marlow penny loafers in brown shell Cordovan made by Crockett & Jones. They're very confortable, versatile and will develop a beautiful patina. They can be worn with suits, flannel and wool pants as much as with chinos and jeans. Even with shorts. Only drawback is that Cordovan and water doesn't go together well and that one shouldn't wear them when its all too wet. But goodyear welted also means they can be resolved adding another bonus.

Attachments

• e13cdb04f302ec4b7d35cc3bc4bc8558.jpg
    e13cdb04f302ec4b7d35cc3bc4bc8558.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 145

Buffon.bj

Reaction score
I have the same issue. In the end I found a brand called Morjas (not the nicest shoes but decent in suede) which fit decently enough to wear around the office. I might get insoles and someone to put a piece of leather in the heal though depending on how the fit develops over time.

I have also tried the Morjas loafers, but found them frustratingly much too narrow and high for my feet; from my experience, most Spanish made shoes seem to have very high insteps which do not work for me as well as American lasts. Same for British lasts, which often seem to mistake width for overall volume.

abkain

Reaction score
There was some discussion here a few pages back about Venetian loafers. I like these Leffot-exclusive ones by Alden.

Attachments

• 18EE19D3-FC6A-421C-A32A-75E11A7BFF56.jpeg
    18EE19D3-FC6A-421C-A32A-75E11A7BFF56.jpeg
    292.9 KB · Views: 191

cavdb

Reaction score
I think any more classic oriented loafer in dark brown is a good choice. I’ve seen the Boston loafer from CJ already pop up.

For me it’s the CJ Harvard Dark Brown cordovan. They are my go-to’s when I don’t know what to wear. ??

Attachments

• 53F2B3E0-984A-4F7A-ADE1-6F195A06929C.jpeg
    53F2B3E0-984A-4F7A-ADE1-6F195A06929C.jpeg
    140.5 KB · Views: 180

efta

Reaction score
It’s very tight during break in for sure but it was one of the few loafers I tried which didn’t lend to any heel slippage for me.

Can’t go wrong with the Alden tassels on the Aberdeen last. TLB Mallorca’s offerings look good too but wish they had an Artista version.

tlb-artista-penny-loafer-dark-brown-suede.jpg

Are you sure about that?

The Louche V2

Reaction score
This is easy: the classic Alden tassle moc in burgundy calf. This is a shoe that can be worn with anything from shorts to a business suit. Burgundy, unlike brown, allows the shoe to be worn at night while still remaining more casual than a black version. The only attire this shoe is not compatible with is semi- and formalwear.

emptym

Reaction score
In case it's helpful, here's a comparison shot of four commonly recommended penny loafters, the Edward Green Piccadilly, Brooks Bros/Alden LHS, Crocket & Jones for BB Boston, and Allen Edmonds Patriot:
IMG_8499.jpeg

EGs are 9/9.5E, Aldens are 10C, C&J are 10D, and AE's 10D

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Connery's Bond didn't wear Venetians, though he did wear other slip on types - some in a style similar to these pretty awesome Lobb's with elastic on instep:

1619997106982.png

He did wear Venetians off screen though, like here from the set of From Russia With Love:

1619997270695.png

To answer the thread question, I only have one pair of loafers, Loake Eton in black suede:

1619997534508.png

If I should pick a different pair it would probably be either JM Weston 180 in black calf or the Lobb's above.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads