• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

One loafer above all others

JIMIG

Reaction score
What do you guys prefer - Alden LHS standard penny or the full strap version? And is everything else besides the strap similar (including vamp length and toe shape)?

Dadacantona

Reaction score
What do you guys prefer - Alden LHS standard penny or the full strap version? And is everything else besides the strap similar (including vamp length and toe shape)?
The LHS is on the van last, the full strap is on the aberdeen. Van is roomier in the toe box, slightly rounder. The vamp is slightly lower on the full strap too.
I like both. The full strap is a bit more feminine, I think, a bit daintier, but I find it very elegant. I have the full strap tassel in calf and i enjoy wearing them in summer with fuller cut linen trouser in particular.
I have the unlined LHS and they’re much more versatile. They pair well with everything: jeans, dress trousers with sports coat, casual trousers, shorts. If I had to pick one shoe to keep, it would be the LHS.

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
Bit more elegant all round from the last to it being lower cut to the machine stitch.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That is amazing, but I've wondered how long that lasts and how good it is for the environment.

Years ago, I got a bottle of Vectra. It's supposed to be environmentally friendly, but it doesn't seem to work very well. Maybe I just don't use it well. I tend to avoid wearing suede shoes in the rain but I don't mind if they get wet. I've washed suede shoes repeatedly (usually when dying them) and they turn out fine. Iirc, there's an old video of not only washing but soaking suede shoes.
nano protector works really well in my case, and I wear shoe/boots in all weather (I don't do change shoes), I think I re-spray maybe once a year?

Duke Santos

Reaction score
The first pair of "dress shoes" that I ever bought were a pair of burgundy penny loafers (no memory of whatever happened to them). I bought them when I was home for Christmas my freshman year of college along with a charcoal herringbone tweed blazer, charcoal trousers and red tie at a place in Sacramento called Patrick James (still have the tie). I've never owned another pair of loafers since.

Today, I took my own advice from earlier in this thread and pulled the proverbial trigger on a pair C&J Bostons in dark brown country grain with city soles. Come to Butthead, Baby.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The first pair of "dress shoes" that I ever bought were a pair of burgundy penny loafers (no memory of whatever happened to them). I bought them when I was home for Christmas my freshman year of college along with a charcoal herringbone tweed blazer, charcoal trousers and red tie at a place in Sacramento called Patrick James (still have the tie). I've never owned another pair of loafers since.

Today, I took my own advice from earlier in this thread and pulled the proverbial trigger on a pair C&J Bostons in dark brown country grain with city soles. Come to Butthead, Baby.
They are great shoes. I bought some 10 years ago and have worn the hell out of them since and still look great. I don't think you can do better really.

manasdirge

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are these available on any website or are they from a Japanese B&M/
I believe that Beams, United Arrows and Ships all have similar models (they will mention longer vamps in description, make sure it's not 986 before ordering) and have online presence, you can use a forwarding service if you are not located in Japan.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.